All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Weight Worries
      #256148 - 04/04/06 09:23 AM
lgreg

Reged: 03/31/06

I am pretty new here, have been making daily changes in my diet and thought process (!)and am already seeing improvement. I can't believe how many things I was doing wrong, thinking I was helping my bowel issues that were making me worse and worse. I am thrilled to see even a little bit of improvement. I already see less distention in my belly. I had a hysterectomy two years ago, and unfortunately am one of the "statistics" that gained 30 lbs. OMG, yes thirty yucky pounds. I just cannot get them off, and have felt so horrible for the last four months, that it hasn't helped as I have been quite sendentary. I am terrified that my weight is going to shoot up with all this soluable fiber and lesser insoluable. I know I need to keep the fat under 25%, but is that enough for someone that is already overweight and gains 8 lbs. just by licking a postage stamp? I am SO anxious to hear from anyone that may be or have been in a similar situation. Thank you all for your warm welcome messages, and help. I am so happy and grateful to have found my way here.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Worries new
      #256882 - 04/07/06 06:28 AM
LivinginWA

Reged: 01/22/06
Loc: Western Australia

Hey I too had a hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago, and put on some weight, my weight gain though came from an extremely long stint on prednisolene and I have found it impossible to shift...as for the diet, I think if anything, it will definitely help the weight to go down...adding a bit of exercise as heather advises would be beneficial too....good luck...geez I wish I had the convictions to follow my own advice, truth be told my treadmill has sat idle for months, and I keep telling myself that tomorrow I will start heathers diet...easier said than done...though good luck...

#256904 - 04/07/06 08:15 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

When I first began the diet three years ago, I shed five pounds really quickly. But those are what I considered vanity pounds. Could live with 'em, would prefer to live without 'em.

A lot of people here have lost weight on the EFI diet, I believe.

Do a search and see what you come up with.

--------------------
~jules

#256930 - 04/07/06 11:10 AM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey Igreg,

Come on over to the Fitness and Lifestyle board on this site...my problem is keeping weight on, but there are plenty of IBS sufferers who are supporting eachother in losing weight as well. I've found this particular community to be incredibly supportive, and very helpful in dealing with issues around weight in addition to the pain and discomfort we all struggle with.
Hope that helps! Good luck!

--------------------
Julia

#257079 - 04/08/06 06:37 AM
lgreg

Reged: 03/31/06

Thanks for the responses. My physician is trying to make a diagnosis, but is leaning toward an adrenal/thyroid issue being the primary source and the ibs secondary to that. I should receive initial results from blood work on Monday. I sure don't want to have either one of those be the problem, but I would be SO thankful to be able to make progress with this weight issue. I am having only 1300-1500 cal a day intake and try to walk at least 30 min a day unless I am feeling horrible. I have been so careful and haven't dropped a pound, and am sneaking upward actually on the scale. I was horrified to see I had gained a pound when I went to the doctor Thursday. I look at myself and see someone who looks totally out of control with their eating, and yet I KNOW I monitor every bite that goes in my mouth. It is very frustrating along with the fatigue and bowel problems....not a good combination!

#257149 - 04/08/06 02:28 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Keep in mind that even if the scale says you gained a pound, that doesn't mean it's a pound of fat! I know that when my IBS is really bad, my weight may actually appear to be going up, even though I'm eating much less, but really it's just the extra bloat and water weight I'm carrying around...

Eating well and exercising like you've been doing is a great accomplishment in itself, and will be sure to have a positive effect on your body sooner or later. Try not to let those numbers get you down, and keep up the good work!

--------------------
Julia

Re: Weight Worries(mirror of my life) new
      #257349 - 04/10/06 08:33 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

Reading your posts is like reading about myself almost to a tee! I had a complete hysterectomy 8 years ago. Quickly put on about 30 pounds and I haven't been able to lose any since!! I follow Heather's diet and am fairly stable IBS wise thanks to that. I walk 30 min. a day, 6 days a week, use some very light wts., and try to watch my diet, while still eating for IBS. I can't lose any wt! Makes me so mad. I think my problems is 2 parts. I seem to need to have something in my stomach all the time, or I tend to have "attacks", so I try to eat small amounts of somethings safe alot throughout the day. AND, I know I eat too much sugar--because we can have sugar! But, even watching the sugar intake never seems to help. It's frustrating, believe me I know. Hope you get something figured out! I know how bad this can make a person feel! Good luck!

You could try... new
      #257375 - 04/10/06 11:28 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

taking more SFS before meals and using that as your SF cushion and cutting back on the food with calories. That might work if you can tolerate it.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#268641 - 06/10/06 12:30 PM
biz

Reged: 06/10/06

hi there- did you find a thyroid issue?? Very curious as I feel like I am in the same boat...thanks!

Re: Weight Worries-starvation mode new
      #269092 - 06/13/06 05:55 AM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

Sounds like your doing a good job sticking to the diet. Remember to get enough calories though. If you don't get enough your body will slip into starvation mode and you will put on weight.

Also, mussel weighs more than fat. You could be adding mussel and losing fat. Use a tape measure instead of the scale to judge weight loss.

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 697 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2237

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review