All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Casey lexapro question
      #256025 - 04/03/06 06:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was reading old posts about Lexapro since I am starting on that today. I read you had D etc for about a week. Can you give me more details please? Do you think it is best to take in AM or PM? I took my first pill and yes I feel gurgly now. I also wish I had taken just half. Dang. Well any information would be appreciated, especially from A'ers.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Casey lexapro question new
      #256038 - 04/03/06 06:37 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there! I am an A and have been on Lexapro for about 2-3 months. It made a WORLD of difference to me. First off, when I started, I took 1/2 pill every AM. I had some pretty bad waves of nausea, but after 4-5 days, they passed. I didn't get any D, but noticed much more normal BMs than I have had in a long time! (I lean towards C usually). So, it was actually a welcome change. I did 1/2 pill for only one week and then when I went up I only had one day with a bit of nausea. After a month, it wore off. I have noticed significant change in the way I can think and make decisions.My anxiety got terribe b/c of missing work. Now I can rationally decided if I am well enough--which has been almost always! It made a great difference and I will stay on it for a good while until I am completely stable. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A

All about lexapro new
      #256141 - 04/04/06 08:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I did start with 5mg - half of a 10mg pill - and I still had the side effects, so I don't know if it would have made a difference for ya. The good news is that if you do increase, you don't go through the side effects again.

I'm trying to remember - my memory isn't the greatest. I'm not sure what kind of details you're looking for, but the first 2 days were the worst, then it got gradually better, till the end of the first week when there was no D at all. I honestly don't think there's a better time to take it. I mean, if you take it at night, the D will keep you up all night... if you take it during the day, you'll end up running to the loo anyway. LOL But of course, remember that it's only temporary - none of the side effects that I had at first have stuck around for the long-term.

Good luck with it!

thanks! (more) new
      #256326 - 04/04/06 04:57 PM
Little Minnie

I appreciate all advice. My friend has been on this too and talked about hotflashes and said in two weeks she was ok. Last night I did not get D but about 3:30- 8 hours after taking the pill- I was up trying to get my jaw to unlock and I must have been standing too long because I got the most severe and sudden attack of nausea, dizziness and hotflash. I almost threw up and/or had D. I couldn't do anything and could hardly walk to bed. DH helped me and in a minute or two of laying down with the fan on me it went away. It was the most extreme attack of my life. But this morning I was just nauseated and that went away already. I am not really hungry but all right. I haven't taken my pill for today yet. I hope I never get an attack like that again. I felt helpless and out of control and I almost fainted. I didn't think I would make it to the bathroom to puke.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: thanks! (more) new
      #256677 - 04/06/06 07:55 AM
atomic rose

How are you today? Better? Did you take your pill for yesterday? I hope you did! The side effects are a pain, but it's worth it in the end to stick them out.

The nausea and dizziness isn't at all unusual for the first couple weeks. Taking some Dramamine will help that. Of course, then you'll be tired, but personally, I'd rather be fighting to stay awake than fighting to not puke - heh.

You could try taking half a pill a day for the first week, if you hadn't already decided to do that. I figure there must be a reason why my doctor said to do that - maybe it'll make the side effects less severe.

update new
      #256833 - 04/06/06 06:46 PM
Little Minnie

I have not had any attacks since that first night. I took just half a pill after that. I slept all day yesterday and could hardly work today I was so sleepy and lethargic. Also I am C. I am only slightly nauseated now but not much. I am not too hungry or thirsty and that is all that has been happening. I hope I sleep ok tonight. I did have to miss my writing class tonight because I was so drowsy and did not want to drive, but still I think it could be a lot worse.

--------------------

Re: update new
      #256837 - 04/06/06 06:57 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

hang in there! Once that initial stuff is done, the rewards of it are worth it! Thanks for the update!:) I was hoping you were doing well~ Aly

--------------------
IBS-A

How's it going LM?-nt new
      #257376 - 04/10/06 11:32 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

great thanks! new
      #257461 - 04/10/06 05:13 PM
Little Minnie

I switched to taking it in the morning now as I wasn't sleeping well and I think I am really liking it. I feel lucky that my side effects were so mild.

--------------------

Terrific! new
      #257481 - 04/10/06 07:01 PM
atomic rose

*I'm* glad your side effects were so mild! Excellent!

That does just go to show you how everyone reacts differently to a medication. I take mine in the evening because it still sometimes knocks me out, even after taking it for a year and a half. Heh.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4626 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review