All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Interesting Observation...
      #255925 - 04/03/06 10:21 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I loooove Hummus so was disappointed when I couldn't eat the brand (very common around the US but I can think of the name) that I would buy in the deli section of my local grocery store.

On Friday, I was providing lunch for a meeting and bought hummus at Central Market (like Whole Foods) in their deli section. They have this buffet of sorts with hummus, guacamole, tabouli all that you can put in a plastic container and take home with you.

That hummus was the best and against my better judgement I pigged out on it and I DIDN'T SUFFER NOT ONE BIT!!!!!!!!!!
Clearly the fresher the hummus...the better for me!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

help an uncultured friend new
      #255934 - 04/03/06 10:59 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I know hummus is some kind of bean dip - or am I in left field? I think I had it in a restaurant once a long time ago.

How do you eat it and what do you eat it on? It seems beans are good for me, I like them, I'd love to try hummus - I'm bored of my same ole' choices.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

You goober! new
      #255936 - 04/03/06 11:15 AM
poochibelly

Hummus is a bean "dip" made of chick peas...Amandapanda posted a recipe board a while back. I don't care for the tahini myself.

--------------------

Re: help an uncultured friend new
      #255938 - 04/03/06 11:19 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

It's a dip made from chick peas, tahini (sesame paste), lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. It's my favorite. I'll link you to the recipe I always use: web page

Being a good Lebanese girl, I vehemently reject store-bought hummus, but there is one brand that is passable. It's called Cedars, and the Lemon variety tastes somewhat like my mom's. I also get really bent out of shape when people use it as a condiment on sandwiches and stuff, but that seems to be a popular American adaptation. Traditionally, it's a dip for pita bread, crackers, and veggies. My mom says when I was 2 it was pretty much all I would eat, just in a bowl with a spoon. Mmmm.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Guilty as charged! new
      #255945 - 04/03/06 11:37 AM
poochibelly

I don't spread it like mayonaise but I love to put a glob of hummus on the bite that I am about to take!

I guess I feel the same way about people putting a piece of ginger on their sushi...that is so un-Japanese!

--------------------

Oooh really? new
      #255996 - 04/03/06 02:52 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I didn't know that about the ginger. Please educate me! I love sushi and will eat pretty much anything as long as it's dead. I adore the pickled ginger and usually put it into my little soy sauce dish with the wasabi as well, mash it all around, and dip the sushi in it. Sometimes a little piece will hang on and I eat it with the sushi. Is this wrong? Is it just garnish? I'm taking a big trip to Asia in the late summer and will be in Japan for about 10 days. I don't want to make any mistakes there!

--------------------
Amanda

Re: Oooh really? new
      #255997 - 04/03/06 03:13 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Poochi- I'm confused about ginger too- I LOVE the ginger on my sushi- am I supposed to eat it afterwards? I know you get pickles as a sidedish in Japanese restaurants, please share!

Panda, you'll LOVE Japan. The food is nothing short of amazing, there's so little dairy and tons of rice, IBS heaven! The do like their pork and beef though. If you are in Roppongi in Tokyo you have got to go to Gonpachi it's really japanese and fabulous food. When are you off there?

--------------------
S.

thanks for the tips! new
      #256000 - 04/03/06 03:37 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I'm super excited. I leave Aug 5 (I know, still a million years away!) We're doing Thailand, Hong Kong, and Japan and will be gone for a total of 4 weeks. I start work 2 days after I get back, hopefully I'll make it! I'm soooo looking forward to the food!

--------------------
Amanda

AmandaPanda new
      #256132 - 04/04/06 08:04 AM
poochibelly

Here it is....sushi 101

If you eat the maki-sushi (the ones wrapped in sushi), you take the sushi in your chopsticks, dip it in the soy sauce/wasabi mix and then eat! If you have one that has a piece of sashimi on it, you take the sashimi off of the rice, dip it in your soy sauce/wasabi mix, place it back on the rice and then eat.

The ginger is to be eaten separately and it is there to cleanse your palate.

When you go to Japan, make sure you take shoes that are easy to take on and off as you do not wear shoes in a house or any tatami (woven bamboo) surface. A few years ago my son took off running across tatami and the little Japanese ladies nearly freaked out. He was only 5 and didn't know better .

Japan is a lovely place, I lived there as a child. The people are so kind and try to be helpful. They don't always understand that we don't know "all the rules" as to taking shoes on and off and so forth but most are very understanding.

Make sure and have a American/Japanese dictionary with you...and wear comfy shoes. You will do a lot of walking.

I think you said you were going in August? It is extrememly HUMID in the summer time. I think your hair is long...take ponytail holders for sure! Light fabrics such as seersucker, linen and cotton are recommended...leave the nylon stuff at home.

--------------------

Re: AmandaPanda new
      #256348 - 04/04/06 07:18 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

See all you can see while you're there. Japan is a beautiful country. The castles, temples, shrines and gardens are lovely. If you make it to Hiroshima, try to visit the War Memorial Museum. Definitely a different perspective of the war.
Have a fabulous time! And enjoy the food. YUM!!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1865

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review