All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Question for D people, re: going
      #255786 - 04/02/06 11:53 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

How often do you "go?" Unmedicated I'll go up to 17 or 18 times a day. Not so much anymore, now that I've been watching my diet and remembering to take my meds.

Also, how often do you have a complete evacuation? I ran the risk of having a complete evac everytime I had to pee, but now that I have a little more control (thank you, Imodium!!), it's more like every 3 weeks or so.

Just wanted to know other people's experiences. I realized that I know what's normal for "normal" people, but wanted to see what other IBS-Ders went through.

Thanks in advance for anyone who wants to share before and after stories!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for D people, re: going new
      #255788 - 04/02/06 12:00 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey Nelly,

Initially I would go about 9 or 10 times a day sometimes when I had a big D attack.

I'm getting better and sometimes don't even go once a day, however, I still never go solid.. whenever I do go now, even with less frequency.. the consistency is still D. Its not as bad though.. I've began to realize i'll probably never go like a normal person, and have just learned to live with the urgency (luckily i've gotten the frequency a little in check!). I don't take immodium daily, but I am considering it... especially if it will harden them up a bit and let me go a little less. I'm on the fence about trying it. Usually I just take some immodium whenever I go out, or after I have a D attack and need to leave the house. After immodium, I won't always go for a few days, but the next time I go is sure to be a big attack. So as a result, I'm nervous that trying Immodium every day will just make me have big attacks every other day, instead of little attacks almost everyday.

--------------------

#255801 - 04/02/06 01:04 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I was also like that, around 8-10 on bad days. Now that I'm stable it's one or two a day, and and good consistency. I find Immodium helpful but had to play around with it a little to get it right. Now, I take 1/2 Immodium if I have 2 BMs in one day (take it right after the 2nd). I still take one Immodium on days when I feel a bit queasy or if I'm going out and don't want to have to worry.

I do also find taking too much Immodium (even just 1 or 2) can make me not go for a while, then when I do it's D. That's why I started taking them in 1/2 doses, which helped a lot. And I don't take it every day, probably more like 3-4 times a week.

Also, the SFS really helped in terms of forming proper consistency. I tried stopping the Acacia after getting stable, but I found it's just a lot easier to keep taking it.

As for what is normal, I have no idea.. just getting to a comfortable routine is good I guess.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#255852 - 04/02/06 08:31 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Well...I'm having a bad weekend because I was an idiot and decided to try Benefiber again.

WIthout Immodium, I'll average 10x/day--6 being a relatively "good" day and 15 being a really nasty day. When I take Immodium, daily, though things are different. Most days, I need at least 2 Immodium for what I consider to be stable. I really do not like going more than 3 times/day.

I tend to have one of those "evacuation" attacks every 3 or 4 weeks, too, Nelly. I think I'm having one due to my idiotic Benefiber relapse. I just ditched it, though. The SFS approach does not work with me.

Note: I don't follow Heather's diet as written, although I adapt and apply many of her very helpful suggestions. I think I am just single minded/brainwashed/stubborn about this--set in my ways.

Kate, IBS-D.

#255859 - 04/02/06 10:54 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I used to go 10 or more times a day. But the worst part for me was the urgency, that kept me home a lot. Since going on Heather's diet and using Acacia, immodium and hyoscyamine I usually only go once or twice a day. I really think the Acacia helped with making my movements solid, as in clean tissue . Life is better with the help I've gotten on this website. I'd go so far as to say I almost had no life before. I was a mess and the agoraphobia exploded whenever my bowels did!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#255890 - 04/03/06 07:57 AM
retrograde

When I was really bad, I used to go at least 4 or 5 times in the morning and then probably 3 or more during the day.

When I was getting more stable, I kept that 4+ in the morning but was able to manage it the rest of the day.

Getting more stable, it went down to only 1-3 times in the morning, but always D and always with the same insane urgency.

I'm stable now and down to 1-2 times a day (always in the morning, sometimes at other points during the day), without much urgency and usually not D Yay!

I still do get the occassional D attack though, which will send me to the bathroom at least 2 or 3 times (Immdium keeps it from being more). That's not usually a complete evacuation. I haven't had that in a while (thank god!)... But when I was *bad* I would get it at least once a month (coinciding with hormones usually....)

Laurel, welcome back....I missed ya!-nt new
      #255893 - 04/03/06 08:35 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

what is complete evacuation? And also to answer your question (m) new
      #255894 - 04/03/06 08:36 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

on unstable days, I can go from 3 to 6 times a day. I don't get D that much unless I eat something that's on my NOT list but still can go a lot. On days when I need to function outside the house, I'll take 1 or 2 Immodium after I have a BM in the morning. That normally will halt them a bit and I still may go later on in the afternoon/evening. There are days when what I call my pellet days. I have to go a lot and only go these small round pellet type BM's. Sorry TMI! Immodium for me doesn't constipate me, just tighten things up a bit. If I take a Lomotil, that can stop me up for a day or so.
Sandy

Thanks Beth! I missed everyone here too! new
      #255904 - 04/03/06 09:10 AM
retrograde

My internet at home hasn't been working for the last while (grr!) but it seems to be back up now

Great to see you Laurel! new
      #255917 - 04/03/06 09:49 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I missed your presence on the fitness board since I rejoined it, you always have great training advice.

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3356 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2480

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review