All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weird question...about break-outs and healthy "oils"
      #255650 - 03/31/06 07:18 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I've tried repeatedly to get good omegas into my diet. Fish oil or flax oil or whatever source... my kids take fish oil, my husband takes it, but here's my deal:

Pro's - dry skin improves dramatically, which I like, bms also seem to come better and more often, I even think my mood is better and more even
Con's - terrible terrible terrible acne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to be "vain" but I cannot stand for my face to be full of acne....big knotty nasty zits. I've tried various times and have narrowed this down, for sure, and acne products don't do much against it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I love the "pros" and I understand there are MANY other health benefits of including these healthy "fats" in our diet but that big old "con" sure does me IN.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weird question...about break-outs and healthy "oils" new
      #255653 - 03/31/06 07:29 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Are you on any BC? That can help with acne. St. Ives Apricot Scrub helps me when I have breakouts.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

The acne goes away when I quit the oils, which I've done... new
      #255659 - 03/31/06 07:37 PM
ecmmbm

Not on any BCP considering dh has had a vasectomy and I've had a hysterectomy, LOL!

I use a great scrub that has exfolients and prevents blackheads but whenever I try the fish oil it doesn't matter waht I do.. .it's like the dry skin on the rest of my body gets better, esp hands and feet, but my face pays the price and it's not pretty.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#255662 - 03/31/06 08:54 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Weird--I've been doing flax & hemp straight up and my eczema is gone, my parched skin is soft, and my hair regrowth is accelerated/soft/shiny. My skin is suddenly moist.

Note: I use discretion and consume only WITH FIBER and when stable.

Could it be an imbalance, perhaps--omega 3's and omega 6's?

I've read that it's the GLA that's really important for hair/skin issues--and that's in hemp and evening primrose and I believe borage and black current, but I'm not 300 percent certain on the last two.

Kate, IBS-D.

#255665 - 03/31/06 09:09 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Your acne is unlikely caused by the healthy oils such as flax and fish oils. There's another underlying reason for it because your skin reflects what is going on inside of you. Many people with internal problems such as digestive or intestinal ie constipation, or D, high candidiasis, poor kidney and liver function, hormonal imbalances, stress etc. have problems with acne.
I've done tons of research on this matter and the healthy oils are in part recommended to help the acne situation.

Edited by Gracie (03/31/06 09:26 PM)

Re: The acne goes away when I quit the oils, which I've done... new
      #255687 - 04/01/06 04:55 AM
stephfolsom

Reged: 03/14/06
Loc: Texas

Are you pre-menopause or post-menopause? As you enter in to menopause your hormone imbalances can cause a great deal of acne breakouts. That was an issue for me.

Well, I've done a lot of research on MYSELF - LOL! new
      #255688 - 04/01/06 06:15 AM
ecmmbm

I can tell you with certainty that as the oils bring out moisture in my skin in general, thus allowing my overly dry cracked hands and feet to feel much better, in turn it seems to make my face over-produce oil/moisture and thus break outs occur. Hormones may play a factor but the gist of it is when I take the oil, breakouts... when I stop the oil... gone. I've not done "days long" trials but weeks/months long so I know this for sure.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Michelle new
      #255705 - 04/01/06 08:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Are you taking the straight oil or the capsules? Perhaps if you are taking the oil, that is too much. Maybe try the capsules for a while.

Or maybe just take it every other day.

You could also try substituting foods that are high in Omegas...whatever those might be. But it may be hard to get that much from foods.

And I don't blame you for not wanting acne. No woman would be happy with acne...no matter what age!

But if I had to choose between the pros and cons...I think the pros outway the con, personally. Now, I might think differently if I had the acne! Can you try to continue to oils and treat the acne with something? That way, you get the benefits of the oil and you can treat the acne another way?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2843 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1395

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review