All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
UPDATE - how the weekend went... (VERY long & possible TMI) new
      #257360 - 04/10/06 10:05 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Well, there were good bits and bad bits, so here's the update...

SATURDAY
- Had to leave the house at 12noon, so got up at 8.30am so I could take my first Immodium plenty early enough, and take my time getting ready.
- Took Immodium at 8.30, 9.30, 10.30 and 11.30. Somehow just before 12noon I managed to have D! And it was so violent - for first time ever I seemed to burst a blood vessel, as was bleeding when I wiped. Not nice... Had only eaten a plain bagel with a smidgen of soya spread for breakfast.
- Stuck on toilet pooing til 12.40, which meant we were really late (my teams semi-final game started at 1pm), but tum was so bad on the way (I was literally crying from the pain and feeling like I was going to just 'do it' in the car) I ran straight into the arena toilets, and stayed there til the start of the 2nd period - missed a goal from my team. Was somehow still doing BM's, though more solid now, even though I'd eaten very lightly for 3 days prior, and had being going plenty.
- Came out at the start of the 2nd period, great as my team were winning, and turns out my family and friends had organised it so I had a seat just yards from where you went out onto concourse, and I had an aisle seat so I could come and go as I needed to. Relief and gratitude nearly made me cry again! Managed to watch rest of game, just spending the period breaks in toilet as a 'just in case', as the queues were so long I knew if I wasn't in there I'd panic and need to go.
- There is usually a long gap between the 2 Saturday semi-finals, but because one of our players got very nastily injured (still in hospital, not good) we only had 40 mins, which meant most of stayed in the arena - perfect for me! They all got hot dogs and stuff, I sat and had my packed lunch - 2 sandwiches with soya spread and dairy-free cheese, and a fudgey brownie made with acacia powder).
- 2nd game all went fine, only spent one period break in toilet this time as felt safe enough to stay out. However, tum 'went' near the end, and after the game finished I was in the toilet for half an hour, with my boyfriend and a friend waiting outside for me, as I was driving us back to the hotel. Also got lost on way, which made journey twice as long and I kept freaking out!
- Got back to hotel, had another BM despite taking 2 more Immodium through the afternoon. Our group (bout 25 of us) had made reservations at what I thought was the pub adjoining the hotel, (nice relaxed atmostphere, next to toilets), but there turned out to be a massive hotel, on 3 floors, behind the pub - and of course we were sat on the 3rd floor, no toilets other than those downstairs next to the pub! Despite being in pain agian by this point I managed to sit there for a while, ordered a plain baked potato, drank just water, and started to feel ok. After a whlie got so engrossed in conversation forgot all about it. It was this point I made my fatal mistake... Like a complete DUMBASS I thought 'what the hell', and ordered a slice of cheesecake. Such an idiot... Eat 3 mouthfuls then BANG! Instant searing pain in my stomach. I had to race downstairs, immediate explosive D. My BF was waiting outside, and he had my phone, so I had to make a run for it to explain. I then went up to room, and sat on toilet for an hour with D. Silly girl... Still stunned it happened after so many Immodium???
- Called it a day at this point. Usually at this point we all go to one persons room for a picnic, for which I'd packed safe foods, but because of all the delays it was really late and no-one fancied it, so my early exit didn't matter in the end - everyone else went up ten mins later.
- Had a rubbish night's sleep, up 4 times to use toilet. Lots of painful wind, felt sick. Grrr...

SUNDAY
- Set alarm for 9.30, but snoozed til 10.30 like a muppet - had to leave room at midday. So took my first 2 Immodium at 10.30, one at 11.00, one at 11.30. Just before midday - explosive D again!!! I'm like "How the hell?". Everyone else checked out to go eat in the pub this time, the final (which my team were in) started at 3. Jamie (bf) went down to reception and told her I was having an 'IBS episode' and she was great - said to take as long as I needed. So while they all ate I sat on the toilet feeling miserable, and still having BMs - even today I have no idea where it all came from?!! They actually sent someone to check on me about 1.15 bless 'em, and asked if I needed anything. Why is it I feel the receptionist had IBS?
- Still felt shaky, so took 3 Lomatil, which Jamie is on at the moment. That seemed to sort me out, and started to feel loads better. Left hotel at 1.45, got to arena at 2, sat in toilet for half an hour. Came out to have a sandwich and pack of Walkers Lites, then back in til face off. Made it through whole game ok, using toilet in the breaks. Unfortunatley my team, despite being 1 goal up, lost 2-1, but not to a team we have a rivalry with so didn't sting as much as it usually would...
- Me and Jamie left while the trophy was being awarded to miss the rush. Home 20 mins later.

So... Weekend was a mixed success! Good - made it through in one piece, everyone was really great and understanding, saw plenty of hockey, caught up with people i haven't seen in months, etc etc. Bad - kept having BMs and D even though taking plenty of Immodium, was in severe pain a couple of times, missed some of the hockey, didn't have much time with friends.

When I got home I was so exhausted, my skin was literally tingling from being so tired! But considering I've barely left the house for months it's not really a surprise... Had a good nights sleep, but still feel tired today, and got SO MUCH wind, because of taking so many anti-d's over the weekend I guess.

Right, I'll shut up now...

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm glad you made it OK but is this normal (m) new
      #257361 - 04/10/06 10:13 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

for you? Going so much despite having so much Immodium and even Lomotil? There are times when I have to go a lot, not really D but just volumes and Immodium doesn't really help that much, but an Lomotil after awhile will stop the madness. Do you think you were fighting a stomach bug on top of everything? BTW...cheesecake or icecream would send me running to the toilet every time! But...I know how you feel, after having all that Immodium in my system, sometimes I get brave.

HUGS,
Sandy

Re: I'm glad you made it OK but is this normal (m) new
      #257363 - 04/10/06 10:37 AM
Blondie13

Hi Sandy

It's definitely possible I've been carrying a stomach bug too, as have been feeling sick - which is only normally a symptom if I am in really, really severe pain.

The BM's did eventually stop once I'd taken Lomotil - so maybe Immodium just (eventually) stopped the D, but the BM's continued until I'd taken Lomotil. My doc won't prescribe Lomotil for anyone as they've found it causes more problems than it solves, but my BF always has some as he's having stomach problems of his own - so I use them as sort of a 'emergency backup plan', for when Immodium doesn't work.

I've often wondered - is Immodium just supposed to ease D, or control BM frequency? I'd like to know more about how it works, to help me use it better.

--------------------

There are those who use Immodium on this board (m) new
      #257451 - 04/10/06 04:43 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

very wisely it seems and it helps them with both D and BM frequency. I wonder sometimes if I have built up an immunity to it somehow. I don't use it that much but enough I guess. My doctor prescribed Lomotil for me even before he knew I had IBS and thought it would help. I haven't taken it that much but use it as an emergency thing. I feel better just carrying it around with me. Only a fellow IBS sufferer would understand that!

I've had a few very stable days where it seems no matter what I eat, I haven't had any problems. I'm waiting for the shoe to drop. Maybe it won't?

I'd do a search on Immodium as I'm sure you'll get lots of info!
Sandy

Re: There are those who use Immodium on this board (m) new
      #257453 - 04/10/06 04:59 PM
Angel681

Reged: 02/26/06

[color:blue] [/color] Hi: I just got home from seeing my gastro doctor. This past Saturday had to be the most humiliating day of my life. I was finally diagnosed with IBS after suffering over 18 months of diahreah(sp), not being able to go, having stomach cramps, etc. If you have IBS you know what I am talking about. My doctor said that I can use 1/4 -1/2 to 1 entire immodium every day if need be or as needed for the diahreah and it's not habit forming and I don't think you can become immune to it either. Getting back to this past Saturday. I had the worst case of IBS that I have ever had. I ended up having a terrible accident in my panties and I was in tears, and was in total humiliation but there was nothing I could do. I now don't go out the door without my lactaid tablets. If I am going to a party and you know there's going to be cheese or dairy of some kinds pop those lactaid tablets. You can take up to 4 I believe. I would rather take them then have to suffer and die of embarassment. No one knew what happened to me except my mom and my husband. I have had every test known to man kind and I had to basically narrow the symptoms down myself and also talking with a few other people and seeing that they eat organic foods I came to believe and have been 100% diagnosed with full blown IBS. It sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it but change the way I eat and think about food. I will not allow it to rule or run my life I have to be prepared and think ahead. ;)
Lots of luck to you. If you don't have a Gastroenterologist I suggest you get one and have a colonoscopy, sigmoid and lower gi done to rule out anything else and to make sure you don't have cancer of the colon. I am clean and free of all that. I just have IBS.

Re: I'm glad you made it OK but is this normal (m) new
      #257457 - 04/10/06 05:01 PM
Angel681

Reged: 02/26/06

Try adding more fiber to your diet this will absorb excess water. You can take up to 4 immodium I believe but please consult your doctor first.

Re: lactaid - careful new
      #257458 - 04/10/06 05:05 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I tried taking these to be able to eat dairy, and I still had attacks. As Heather's diet states, stay away from dairy entirely!

Have you started the diet and found some relief from it? And yeah, I use Immodium too and haven't noticed myself getting 'immune' to it or anything.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: UPDATE - how the weekend went... (VERY long & possible TMI) new
      #257459 - 04/10/06 05:07 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Sorry to hear you had so much IBS-troubles. Do you normally take Immodium while at home? Just wondering if it's possible to take too much that it upsets you. Immodium should help both with frequency/urgency and D.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: UPDATE - how the weekend went... (VERY long & possible TMI) new
      #257506 - 04/10/06 10:22 PM
CindyG.

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Mississippi

Aww. I am sorry you suffered D and lots of BM's! But hey you made it and you did it. You should be soo proud! When I read your update my heart went out to you. I have been in those situations soo many times. You handled yourself so well! Because of my anxiety about my IBS and D attacks I let myself get really upset when I have those horrible D attacks when I am out and about.
You did so good though. You stayed and you did what you had planned! You are tough
Immodium usually makes my BM's more solid. A lot of times I still have lots of BM's it just takes away some of the urgency. I think a lot of your D and BM's though were because of stress. I think when you get really stressed no matter what you take or how you eat you will still suffer with attacks. I think the way to get over that just to keep putting yourself out there and eventually it wont affect you as much.
Congrats on getting out this past weekend!

Re: There are those who use Immodium on this board (m) new
      #257516 - 04/11/06 04:53 AM
Blondie13

Hi Angel. Yeah, been there, done that - diagnosed with severe post-infection IBS in August last year. Lovely!

It is a hard thing to learn, but try to think of it as a positive thing - at least you now know what the problem is, and you can start to make changes. Have you tried doing Heather's diet? I've not been on it long enough to know yet whether it's making significant changes, but after a few weeks I did have my first 'normal' BM - which is a massive achievement for me, and hopefully a sign of things to come!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3474 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2697

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review