All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia and travelling
      #255331 - 03/30/06 09:16 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I know this subject has come up before, but I was just looking some tips specific to what I'm doing.

I'm going backpacking around Europe for 5 weeks, and plan on taking a fiber supplement with me to use when meals aren't exactly IBS friendly. I've done well with both Acacia and Benefiber.

I'm wondering what would be best to bring, in terms of me having to carry everything and fit stuff in my bag. Would the Acacia bag be easy to travel with? I'm thinking that is best since it will shrink as I go. The can will be annoying because of the bulkiness. Benefiber has a smaller container, but less fiber in it.

Any tips?
Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia and travelling new
      #255332 - 03/30/06 09:27 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I think I would use Zip-Lock Bags....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#255335 - 03/30/06 09:30 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

That's just what I was going to suggest - until I suddenly thought getting a white-ish powder through airports etc in plastic bags might be quite interesting...?!

It's a shame Heather doesn't do the acacia in tablet form I think, it would certainly be easier to take before a meal out etc.

I think I would take the bag of tummy fibre, but put it inside a zip lock bag - that way you can make sure it's sealed, and if any customs-bod tries to look at it you can show him what it is?

Respect to you for travelling like that with IBS - I'm well impressed! (I know I couldn't do it yet)

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#255338 - 03/30/06 09:57 AM
K2

Yeah I guess the bag would be best. I am very nervous to be travelling for so long. I have been stable for a few months though, and now recovering from an attack is much easier/quicker. I'm just worried how hard it will be to stay away from dairy and red meat, and still eat enough. If I get really desperate, I'll pop into a grocery store and buy some bread & pb, and live off that.

Thanks for the advice,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#255351 - 03/30/06 10:38 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'd travel with a new bag of acacia and take along the zip bags for after it is open. Too easy! I've been through airports with ziplock bag fulls with no problem, but I wasn't going out of country. Once on the trail, you can premix in your water bottle and keep acacia in your tummy all day!!

Have a wonderful time!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#255389 - 03/30/06 01:33 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

How exciting! Where are you going? I'm going to Spain for 3 weeks this summer. I'll be staying at a univeristy dorm but yeah...I have the same concerns. I was going to ask when the time came. I'm not leaving until July.

Happy Spring everyone. Don't know what it's like where you all are but it's a BEAUTIFUL day here. Absolutely beautiful.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#255402 - 03/30/06 01:49 PM
K2

I'm going to about 8 different countries in a month, Spain being one of them (Barcelona). I'm really excited. Very nervous about food there though, I have no idea what to expect!

Going and staying in a hotel room or dorm is great. I recently did a trip to Florida, and because you can just leave your suitcase there all the time, it doesn't matter if it's a bit bulky and heavy. I took the can of Acacia with me and didn't have any problems. For the way there, I mixed my fiber in a water bottle, so I didn't have to have my Acacia in my bag with me. This would be easiest especially when flying.

Oh and it's absolutely gorgeous here! I'm studying all day, but managed to get out for a walk. Until last week it's been around 0 (celcius) and rainy. Now its 16 and super sunny!
Yay for spring!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#255549 - 03/31/06 10:33 AM
CindyG.

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Mississippi

I am so envious of you. I let my IBS get the better of me way too often. You are inspiring. I have the hardest time with traveling. I freak myself out about it the entire time because I am scared of having an attack and I usually dont!
It is so cool that you are not letting it control you. I want to get there eventually.
Cindy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2070 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 824

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review