All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
texture issues with certain foods
      #254957 - 03/28/06 10:31 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Has anyone heard of people being intolerante to eatting certain things because of the texture? What do you make for someone that can't handle most textures of fruits or veggies? (My fiance has recently been diagnosed with IBS-A recently but has more the ibs d than anything else)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: texture issues with certain foods new
      #254967 - 03/28/06 11:18 AM
Sassi0619

Reged: 01/06/06
Loc: Vermont

I am certainly not intolerant of eating foods with certain textures....but I can't stand to eat any fruit except for apple and smaller grapes....the other fruits textures just make me gag...same with some veggies, but I eat more veggies certainly than I do fruits!!!

Re: texture issues with certain foods new
      #255015 - 03/28/06 02:14 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Never heard of it. One of the mantras of IBS is cook peel mash and puree. You can always mash up and puree foods and sneak them into other things.

For example, puree up some well cooked broccoli and put it on a baked potato with some other sort of topping to blend it in and hide the taste.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Can you be more specific? new
      #255058 - 03/28/06 06:36 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Can you be more specific? Is this an obsessive thing? I know foods with seeds bug me and skins like peppers and tomatoes and grapes and plums and peppers make me really ill. I know the seeds of bananas bother me. I just generally don't eat them. I know that there is something about the texture about mashed potatoes that really makes me gag. Ditto for liverwurst or "cheese wiz." I know that looking at cereal in a bowl makes me thing of dog food and nauseates me. I know that looking or smelling cream of wheat or cream of rice just gives me the heaves--that sort of baby barf feeling.

I think everyone has some sort of food issue. I wouldn't worry about it. He's quite an adult and well...nobody can force us to eat anything.

I think that people can be quite healthy choosing not to consume that which engages their gag-reflexes. (I'd better shut up before I get into the whole "special sauces" issue and "squirt" bottles, lol.) Seriously...just let it go and, laugh with him about it.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Can you be more specific? new
      #255141 - 03/29/06 10:02 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Well, it's one of those things where as a kid and learning to eat proper foods, this caused the whole gag reflex and just never recovered into adulthood. So right now, in regards to the whole diet thing, pasta, chicken, fish, and thats pretty much it are the main things in our house hold.
The only veggies that are willing to be eaten are pickles and the closest thing to fruit is banana bread... I can get him to drink smoothees or fruit juices (fresh squeezed) or that v8 stuff but thats pretty much it...

Re: Can you be more specific? new
      #255254 - 03/29/06 06:24 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Well, it sounds like you guys might want to be a little more creative & re-introduce fruits/veggies prepared in completely different styles. It sounds like you were tortured/bullied and turned off eating vegetables by your parents.

Check out some recipes/cookbooks for ideas in "spiking" them or sneaking them in. If smoothies work, then sauces should be easy enough to incorporate--maybe soups? It sounds like you need some new flavours. But seriously, unless you're feeling stable and inspired, I wouldn't stress out too much about it. Also, you would be amazed at the kinds of things you can hide veggies inside of! Forcing anything or being pushy just makes things more impossible.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1483 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review