All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Immodium
      #254602 - 03/26/06 05:06 PM
ChristineO

Reged: 09/09/05

I've been on this diet for about 7 months, and although most of it has helped me, I still have many anxiety induced D attacks which keep me from getting to work. I had tried Immodium many years ago during attacks and they did nothing. I'm wondering if I should try again - and this time maybe take them the minute I wake up on the mornings I have to work. If any of you use Immodium and it helps, please advise me. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Immodium new
      #254620 - 03/26/06 08:07 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I use it when I need to. It works better if you take it before an attack. If you are eating something that isn't completely safe or if you just feel like your gut is going to have a bad day. It may be the same for you and not work or your body may respond differently to it now that your diet is different. It couldn't hurt to try. Have you considered hypno or yoga or some form of meditation for your anxiety?

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#254626 - 03/26/06 08:57 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I take the immodium (generic brand) every morning after my first BM (usually my only one). But if it's anxiety driven I do use a half dose of Lorazapam. Once the anxiety is calmed a few weeks maybe you will break that pattern. Do you take Acacia or other SFS? The CD's by Michael are wonderful also. Good luck.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#254750 - 03/27/06 10:42 AM
grannyj

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: arizona

I use immodium both as a preventative and during attacks. When I know I'm eating out I'll take one a couple of hours before the meal. Also when traveling, I take a couple at bedtime, because I have my biggest problems with the first thing I eat in the morning. However, that is getting better with the acacia powder.

--------------------
Jerie - IBS-D

My actions are my only true belongings.
the Buddha

#254752 - 03/27/06 10:47 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I also take them as a preventive (usually one caplet will be enough) and for attacks. It really helped while I was stabilizing to prevent attacks without making me constipated. I still use it as a preventive when I'm traveling or having a particularly stressful work week.

#254754 - 03/27/06 10:51 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i take immodium when i need it. my tummy has calmed down some, but i was taking it like 1-2 times a day. i have a job as a waitress, which helps for me if i feel like i'm going to be sick...reason being, alot of the anxitey is in my head (not to sound like it's not real) but if i'm in a quiet place i freak out i'm going to get sick! it's really weird, though the work is harder...i feel better not being in a totally quiet office, or i'd fixate on my tummy all day!!!
just a thought...having a louder job may help!!! but i still take immodium, after following the diet and all...sometimes you just need it!!!

#254756 - 03/27/06 10:53 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Stress/anxiety is a huge D trigger for me too! I take anti-anxiety meds. (Buspar) which decreases my panic level. Like Maria, I use Immodium as a preventative, i.e. take it the night before a stressful day, etc. I guess, anxiety/stress makes our systems go into hyper-drive! I know that when I go to certain places I NEED to go, go, go...I get that stomach on the rinse cycle feeling. I know that both using Immodium & diet common sense & anti-anxiety pills in combination helps. It sounds as though some hypno. might help you, too.

Kate, IBS-D.

#254824 - 03/27/06 03:06 PM
ChristineO

Reged: 09/09/05

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and responses. I do take Buspar, but maybe I need more of it. Sounds like I should buy Immodium and try it again. I don't know about side effects or constipation......we'll see. Thanks again.

#255081 - 03/28/06 09:22 PM
cardshark

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Phx, AZ

I totally know what you mean. I am a teacher and the busy, busy bell to bell work would seem to make my IBS worse, but it doesn't. Teaching is a pretty high stress job. But, I am usually better when I am working b/c I keep my mind off my stomach. Also, you would think I would be freaked out about not really being able to go the restroom for 55 minutes X 5 times a day! But I have never had to leave the classroom, yet. (knock on wood) I have started taking immodium first thing in the morning if I don't feel quite right to prevent attacks, though.

--------------------

*Janice*

"Where there is love there is life."

-Mahatma Gandhi

#255084 - 03/28/06 09:49 PM
DayGlowPink

Reged: 03/28/06

I use Immodium as soon as my IBS starts to act up. It's my bestfriend lol I don't use it as a preventive measure, because I get a little weird about pills. I try not to use them until I really need to and I try to rely on more natural remedies when I can. But I can tell you there were times I couldn't have made it without it. However, we're all different so all you can do is try.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1954 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1773

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review