All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Who doesn't take an SFS?
      #253995 - 03/23/06 12:03 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

And are you stable? Do you do feel less gassy and bloated without the SFS and still able to "go"?

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Who doesn't take an SFS? new
      #254002 - 03/23/06 12:53 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I don't and I don't feel unable to go. I have gotten quite stable, mostly after starting my AD. But, I am able to tolerate IF a little better than most people on here I think. I eat a lot of small spinach salads and other veggies which seems to keep me pooping once or twice a day.

The SFS always made me gassy, bloated and uncomfortable. I tried a few different ones and stayed on them for a while and they just seemed to make my symptoms worse. My GI told me that they don't always work for everyone.

#254004 - 03/23/06 12:56 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

No SFS for me, and yes, I'm stable. Every now and then I will take one before some IF if I don't have a food source of SF, but other than that, none for me. However, I took Benefiber and it didn't make me feel bloated or gassy ... but that may be because I was never at a very high dosage of them.

You're a D, right Amanda?-nt new
      #254009 - 03/23/06 12:59 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Are you a C or a D or an A?-NM new
      #254010 - 03/23/06 01:00 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

#254016 - 03/23/06 01:29 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm a D and don't take one. They hurt like hell for me. I get terrible backaches and sweats all over for 3 days after I take one. It's really miserable, so I've opted to just control my IBS with medicine, diet and managing outside stressors. I've only had 2 complete evacs in 3 months (yesterday and Monday-- same attack I think), and it's great to have finally found a combination that keeps me "stable."

Good luck, Augie! Your friend,

~nelly~

#254026 - 03/23/06 02:18 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've been slowly cutting back and haven't noticed any difference. I'm IBS-D stable and seem to be doing fine with less, and hopefully none.

So you aren't taking it everyday, but only before a meal that doesn't have enough SF? I plan on backpacking around Europe for over a month and can't imagine bringing it with me and taking it 3 times a day. I haven't been able to find any fiber capsules but I would bring a small amount of Benefiber powder with me if I could take it randomly before meals that may not fit the IBS diet. How much do you take before a meal?

I guess I sort this all out before leaving.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Yeah, I might as well admit it publicly new
      #254068 - 03/23/06 05:23 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't take one anymore. First I stopped because I couldn't afford it, then I started again, then I just kept forgetting to take it, so I gave up. BUT...

1. I had already pretty much stabilized when I stopped taking it, and
2. I eat a LOT of soluble fiber foods.

I'm still able to "go". I find that eating enough INsoluble fiber makes more of a difference for me there. Then again, I'm an A, prone more to D than C, so maybe that makes a difference. Lately I've been very gassy, but I didn't find that was any different with or without the SFS.

I feel like a horrible traitor even posting this. For most people, a soluble fiber supplement is SUCH a good idea, and I really do credit it with helping me stabilize - especially when I was having trouble eating, because everything was screwing up my guts. But now that I'm stable and eating a really good, balanced diet, with lots of SF and fresh vegetables, I just don't need it anymore.

Ha Ha! new
      #254091 - 03/23/06 06:47 PM
Augie

I knew you didn't. Why be embarrassed about not taking something you don't need? Silly woman! Saves lots of money I bet...and that's good!

--------------------
~ Beth

Well... new
      #254097 - 03/23/06 07:02 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You know how I feel about people who dish advice on here that's contrary to what Heather teaches - these boards are for Heather's stuff, and that's clearly stated on the site. I just hate to be a hypocrite! LOL

So I'm not embarassed about not needing it - heck no - I just figured I should keep my mouth shut.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4353 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4088

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review