All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Nortriptylene
      #253865 - 03/22/06 07:56 PM
lesdogg24

Reged: 02/26/06
Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Anyone using Nortriptylene in their treatment for IBS-D?? Was just put on by my gastro and wondered if this helps at all and how someone else has reacted to it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nortriptylene new
      #253915 - 03/23/06 07:31 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I take this. I've been on it for about 9 months. I started off taking 10mgs a day and slowly increased it up to 100mg a day. The 100mg helped my IBS tremendously, but I couldn't deal with the side effects. It gave me terrible dry mouth and heartburn daily. About a month ago I began weaning myself off of it. I now take 50mg a day. It's not AS helpful with my IBS, but the dry mouth has decreased to a more bareable level and the heartburn has disappeared. I am planning to stay on this dosage for now and see how things go.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#254019 - 03/23/06 01:36 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

It's good stuff, but 25mg at night made me too spacy. I switched to 10mg at night and woke up feeling more coherant. I used to have bad morning D attacks but it's much better now.

Also try amaltryptaline as well. Same dosage, 10mg. Your doc might want to bump you up after a while to get its anti-depressant side effects also (up to 300mg).

~nelly~

#254087 - 03/23/06 06:26 PM
Terri4301

Reged: 06/03/05

I took amitriptyline(10mg) for 2 years. Now I take 25mg nortriptylene and am doing much better. I noticed more side effects with the 10mg amitriptyline. It made me groggy in the mornings. I really don't notice it with the new meds. I'd love to not need meds, but I'm more stable than I've been in a long time. On the days I work, I find I need the immodium too. Great fun,huh?

#254224 - 03/24/06 12:46 PM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

It is the only thing that finally made me stable. My advice is to start slow. At first I went straight to 50mg and it was terrible. My gastro put me on 10 mg and slowly worked up to 50mg. The side effects do not last. They are dry mouth and it makes you sleepy which is why you take it at night but that goes away. I can take it and not feel anything but it still keeps my IBS in check. Lisa

#260102 - 04/25/06 08:50 PM
lesdogg24

Reged: 02/26/06
Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Thanks for the help. Cute dog!! I have 3 huskies my self!! Yours is beautiful!!
Leslie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 407 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review