All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS diet and menstruation
      #253525 - 03/21/06 01:50 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I was diagnosed with IBS about a month ago. I'm sure I've been dealing with this for well over 10 years. I've been on Heather's diet for about a month as well. In some respects I'm doing better...feeling a little better but I still suffer from gas and bloat and my C seems to be getting worse. This is my first period since I've been on the diet and I'm miserable. This is my worst period since I was a teen (about 20 years ago)! I woke up at 2 a.m. last night with cramps and had to sit in the bathroom for awhile and take some ibuprofen to get back to sleep. I have TERRIBLE gas and bloat, some cramping and bad C. Is there any connection between the IBS diet here and my unusual period?

As a teen I had very bad periods...10 days, heavy for 5, hard cramping and I was an A. When I was 18, I went on the pill (my miracle drug). It changed my periods from 10 to 5 days with one day heavy and almost no cramping at all. I've been on Nuvaring for about 8 months and love it. But this is the first time I've had such bad symptoms. Is it just coincidental that it's so bad now and started the diet a month ago?

Anyone with the same probs?

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS diet and menstruation new
      #253561 - 03/21/06 04:15 PM
Jms97

Reged: 01/09/06

Yep IBS tends to get worse with your period. I went to the doctor and was just put on BC to help with keeping my hormones more level. If all goes ok, Ill skip my period & get it every 3 months. I cant bear the cramps/ibs all at once!
Your story sounds exactly like mine!! Horrible cramps, so much pain for some reason only in the middle of the night. Buy Heathers fennel tea, awesome for bloating/gas. Also the Acacia really has helped me and others swear by it. It helps with both C & D. Also it will take a bit for the diet to kick in, its not a quick fix.

#253562 - 03/21/06 04:31 PM
Flipada

What's BC?
Yes, I don't have Heather's tea but I have Aliva (sp?)...both Fennel and Peppermint teas. The peppermint was a life-saver tonight. I had awful nausea. I think it was that oops this afternoon. I had a small piece of my son's bday cake after work today. Ohhhhh. What a dummy. Might have been the frosting. Sometimes I just pick something up without thinking ...guess I haven't been on the diet long enough to where I don't have to think before I eat. I haven't noticed a big difference using the fennel tea for the gas/bloat though. I'm nervous about trying the Acacia because there's so many people that have said it made them feel worse. I just don't feel ready to try something that might make me feel bad because I'm feeling so rotten right now.

I feel like I'm a walking symptom. I've upped my AD's because I'm having a hard time dealing with all of this right now. I'm thankful that I don't have D like many on this board. I feel for you all. I don't know...just feel like with as yucky as I feel, I shouldn't complain because it could always be worse. Ever feel that way?

Maybe I just need to find a way out of my job. I teach High School and it's my biggest source of stress. Wouldn't that be nice.

Well....glad to hear I'm not alone.

--------------------
**Lauren**

#253609 - 03/21/06 08:20 PM
Jms97

Reged: 01/09/06

Finding this website really saved me. I can finally go out and not have to worry about having an attack. My lifesaver is peppermint caps before a large meal, drinking lots and lots of peppermint, fennel, & camomelle teas, and starting a probotic.
As far as the bday cake, we all have been there, sweets are my weakness. Try and stick to the diet for a couple months, it really works. Try keeping a food journal, see what foods agree with you. I cant eat onions/garlic spicy foods dont agree with me. Pay attention with what works for you. Also, when you have a bloated upset tummy, a heating pad works wonders! Good luck! Your definately not alone!

#253616 - 03/21/06 08:52 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

BC is birth control.
From what I've read Heather's teas are more potent than the ones bought at health food stores. I plan on buying some soon because I get lots of gas and bloating around the time of my period.

#253625 - 03/22/06 02:59 AM
Flipada

Thanks everyone. I know I'm not alone....as is evidenced by this site but it sure does feel that way sometimes! At least now I don't feel quite so crazy...

--------------------
**Lauren**

#253881 - 03/22/06 09:24 PM
cincygirl2

Reged: 10/20/05

I thought that I have read that BC can make IBS worse? DOes BC really help with the muscle spasms aka gas and gas sounds when you are PMSing?

I have IBS-C and that is the biggest thing that I notice and can't seem to make better.

I usually schedule a healing touch therapy session around that time, but it has not helped me the last few months.

Re: IBS diet and menstruation -OUCH new
      #253914 - 03/23/06 07:19 AM
Flipada

I'm in hell! I'm out of work today because of these cramps. I was in misery for about 6 hours with terrible cramps last night and they started up again this morning. I don't understand why this is happening. I was recently diagnosed but I've had IBS as far as I know, for about 10 years. So why now? I did switch to Nuvaring 8 months ago but..why? I'm so miserable and so frustrated. I took ibuprofen and used the heating pad and I'm afraid to eat anything. Could this be something else?

--------------------
**Lauren**

#253935 - 03/23/06 08:32 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

It definetly could be something worse. If you haven't normally experienced this much pain, then I suggest you go to the doctor.

Is the pain from cramps just overall worse? Or any localized cramping worse? And also, do you have endometriosis?

I hope you feel better soon,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#253941 - 03/23/06 08:40 AM
Flipada

It's been bothering me since Mon....when my period started although I was able to make it through the day at work. It was bothering me most in the morning and the evening. I'd feel better during the afternoon. But last night was unbearable. The closest thing I can compare it to was labor. Not just before delivering...but the beginnings of labor. It was a near constant achy and cramping. My mom told me to call the doctor but I didn't know if I should. Apparently she had fibroid tumors and had to have a hysterectomy. She also put endometriosis in my mind. As far as I know, I don't have either. I just had a check up with the OBGYN earlier this month. But maybe I'll call. I just hate to right now when now...right now...I'm feeling better. But, I'll kick myself if I start hurting again after the office is closed. Okay....I'll call.
Thanks for listening.

--------------------
**Lauren**

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1475 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3261

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review