All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Did a search and I am going to the Dr.
      #253110 - 03/19/06 08:33 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

at the end of the month I have a Dr's appt. I have avoided medication up until this point. I was looking for some recommendations. It looks like Buspar is popular for most for anxiety. I am in a wedding in the beginning of June and the drive is going to be 6 hours. This will be a huge milestone for me if I can make it through. My anxiety is up already and I am trying to coach myself that it will all be okay. I usually get myself so worked up that I can't make it or I just back out (not an option this time). I want something that I can start to take in the next month or so to get used to it before I go. I am IBS-A but extreme D when it comes to anxiety. I am also pain predominant. Some options I looked into would not work for me ex. Levsin, can't because I am allergic to Sulfa and it says Bentyl is a no no for people with reflux or hiatal hernia of which I have both. Just wanted to get some advice/opinions on what you think

Thanks in advance!
Bethany

p.s I didn't mention that I am an obsessive planner, I need to know what I am doing, who will be there, where the bathroooms are, when I am going to leave, how long I will be there, what am I going to wear, how will I style my hair, what if........ oh boy, I better not lose it by then!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Did a search and I am going to the Dr. new
      #253127 - 03/20/06 04:28 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

I'm not positive, but if you ask the doctor, I don't believe levsin is in the same family as the sulfa drugs. I know it's got that sulfate name in it, but that is different I believe. I too, have a sulfa allergy.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#253129 - 03/20/06 04:44 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I'm also extremely allergic to sulfa and have been taking lebsin for a long time with no reactions. The other thing I would offer is if you don't have them already order Michael's CD's, they are wonderful for anxiety!!! The only other suggestion and it's just a suggestion is a med to take the day of traveling (not if your driving!) and the day of wedding like, low dose of xanax or lorazapam. I prefer lorazapam because it doesn't make me tired the next day. I use it for situational things like the dentist etc.

I so admire you saying yes to being in the wedding which includes the traveling. I sadly have given up so many things in the past because I couldn't count on having a good day, week, life! Thankfully now I am much less controlled by IBS with it's spin-off of anxiety and agoraphobia (for me anyway).

I had a laugh about your controlling all aspects of your daily activities & life...me too!!!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

I take Buspar! new
      #253134 - 03/20/06 06:19 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Both for anxiety and for the pain. My GI prescribed it because he said it is gaining popularity as a treatment for chronic GI pain in addition to the traditional use as an anti-anxiety drug. So, it hits both issues!

I have had no side effects from it. Too early to tell if it's helping the anxiety and/or pain.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

thanks Franny...... new
      #253155 - 03/20/06 08:22 AM
Betharoo

thanks Franny, that is good to know about the Levsin, at least it gives me some more options. I am assuming and hoping that my Dr will give me something like this to try. I have written down your suggestions. I would love to be able to afford the hypno cd's right now but I am a student.

Thank you for the admiration, I didn't really have a choice about being in the wedding. It is my best friend and she kinda just said here is the dress you need to order and this is when it is. I expressed my fears to her about making it there and she apologized that she didn't even think of that for me.
It would really mean alot to me if I can make it there and can make it through the wedding. My boyfriend of 5 years has also expressed that it will be a milestone for us because we have not been able to travel very far at all in our time together.
I think I am so strange sometimes for the amount of planning I do on a daily basis but it's nice to know someone else can relate, it must be an IBS thing
Take Care
Bethany

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Augie... new
      #253156 - 03/20/06 08:25 AM
Betharoo

Thanks Augie, it seems to be the most popular on the boards when I did my search. Can you let me know once you feel like it is helping, how long have you been taking it?
I am happy for you that you had no side effects and i hope it works well!
Take Care
Bethany

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#253157 - 03/20/06 08:27 AM
Betharoo

thanks for the clarification on that, I will look more into it. Franny replied that she has a bad allergy to sulfa and that she takes Levsin so the info I read must be have been outdated or wrong.
Thanks again and Take Care
Bethany

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: I take Buspar too! new
      #253163 - 03/20/06 09:33 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've been taking 15 mg of Buspar for a year for generalized anxiety (you can take a hgher does if necessary). The only side effects I experienced were a bit of lightheadedness the first week and some weird dreams. Other than that, it's been great! I started noticing a reduction in my anxiety after a month AND a reduction in my gut pain!

I also have a prescription for lorazepam for severe panic attacks since Buspar has no affect on that. I have also been prescribed the use of lorazepam for really bad IBS attacks. I don't use it that often, but when I do it really helps.

Best wishes!

Re: I take Buspar too! new
      #253167 - 03/20/06 10:16 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm another Buspar fan. Honestly, I am having FUN for the first time in years. I feel less panic stricken just living in my own skin. I smile spontaneously. I don't hyper-organize (& re-organize, plan, obsess, map every single detail ritualistically, over & over & over again). I am more in the moment, finally. I re-interpret natural rushes of energy as excitement. I go to movies again! I don't worry about basic everyday activities like shopping, showering, sleeping, eating. Going to a family function doesn't drive me bananas.

The side-effects are as Maria mentioned. Mostly a little light-headedness, some fatigue & bizarre dreams. I do sweat more, too. I take 50 mg/day in 3 divided doses. Chewing/crushing the pills helps with any nausea/indigestion.

Kate, IBS-D.

thanks Maria and Wind new
      #253185 - 03/20/06 11:17 AM
Betharoo

I am sold, let's hope my Dr agrees with me
I really do need something around for the intense pain of the attacks sometimes so I will look into the Lorezapam(sp) as well.
Glad to hear how much it has helped both of you!
Bethany

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4858 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2734

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review