All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
how do i get my protein???
      #253083 - 03/19/06 03:51 PM
tayjay

Reged: 11/28/05
Loc: Auburn University, Alabama

I'm having a hard time getting the proper amount of protein in my diet these days. Especially after a workout I feel so lethargic and I can never find something quick to grab with enough protein to re-energize me. I'm a college student and always on the run. I don't have a lot of time to prepare proper meals for myself. Does anyone have any (cheap) practical ideas of how to get enough protein in my diet? I could use your help!

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how do i get my protein??? new
      #253084 - 03/19/06 03:58 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I get my protein from Luna bars, Silk Soy milk, chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp (I buy a bag of frozen cooked ones, just take out and thaw anytime).

What about a protein-rich smoothie? Do a search on this board, or the recipe board. I haven't tried making any yet, but they're pretty quick.

Good luck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#253093 - 03/19/06 05:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not sure what you eat on a daily basis, so I'll suggest what I can think of...

Breakfast: Oatmeal has more protein than other grains, and instant is as fast as it gets. Luna bars are good option on the go.

Lunch and dinner: Turkey and chicken are the no-brainers... you can find turkey subs or grilled chicken sandwiches just about anywhere. If you go for veggie burgers, pick soy ones rather than, say, Gardenburgers, which are mostly rice and vegetables. Legumes, if you can tolerate them, are good too. Love that hummus!

Snacks: Luna bars. Hard-boiled eggs (toss the yolks) topped with a little guacamole (yes, really!). Turkey jerky. Soy milk. Soy protein shakes - Spiru-Tein is a good, safe one - it's not cheap, but there are ready-to-drink ones that you can grab on the go.

If you're just looking for a boost, the snack ideas might be the best ones. If you're eating a fairly balanced diet, I can almost guarantee you're getting enough protein, even if you happen to be vegetarian - vegetables and grains do contain some protein.

No soy and trouble with balanced diet!! new
      #253111 - 03/19/06 08:55 PM
tayjay

Well, I can't eat soy. I'm allergic to it Any alternative suggestions for getting protein from soy??? And honestly, my diet hasn't been very balanced lately. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to eat on a daily basis b/c my schedule is so busy and these days money is super TIGHT! If I buy fruit or vegetables from the grocery store it goes bad b/c I dont know how to incorporate it into my diet OR i forget about it. Should I make out a meal plan for the week or something? I don't know, for some reason I'm having a really hard time with this right now. Help!!

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

#253125 - 03/20/06 04:22 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

I get mine from chicken or turkey. Just a small piece for lunch or dinner. How about a little peanut butter. I think the luna bars have soy in them so that won't work for you. Egg whites that were mentioned are a quick snack.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Re: No soy and trouble with balanced diet!! new
      #253128 - 03/20/06 04:31 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Yes, a meal plan would help with eating and spending. When I started out I kept it as simple as possible. I used the cheat sheet and some of Heather's list of safe foods to make a grocery list up. A few quick things, Casey mentioned the Turkey jerky (Walmart)keep in the car and some dried fruit would help with the spoiling problem. You can dry your own in the oven. According to Heather some dried fruits are actually fried. I like dried mango in the package, pricy but you can make it last longggggg.

I'm not an expert but your sluggishness after exercise could also be a drop in sugar, carry a carb snack (I never leave home without a luna bar) with you and as you probably know, keep hydrated. Have a great day..

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#253135 - 03/20/06 06:25 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04

I just wanted to say if you are allergic to soy, then Luna Bars are off limits too, as they contain soy.

What about quinoa? It's a grain and also has huge amounts of protein. I think it may be considered an acceptable substitue for protein from chicken or fish.

I vote for a meal plan! In fact, I should do this too. That way, I'm not scrambling for my ideas at 6am! This way, you can make a shopping list from the weeks menues for on the weekends too.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#253148 - 03/20/06 07:38 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

There are other milks like rice or almond, but they have very low protein amounts. They could be used however to make a protein shake if you can find a good protein powder. This would definetly help get you enough protein.

It sounds like the lethargic after-workout feeling means you need more than just protein. What I usually have after a workout is a turkey sandwich. The bread is carbs, the turkey is protein. If lunch meat seems expensive, try buying chicken or turkey breasts, cooking them for dinner, and using leftovers in sandwiches.

Also make sure you're eating enough before working out. Eat a good breakfast, and keep up your energy through the day. I try having a banana about 45 mins before working out.

Goodluck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#253170 - 03/20/06 10:19 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Can you handle egg whites? They're great for a major protein "hit." Egg whites are also available in protein powder form.
Another type of protein powder is Rice Protein.

Can you eat nuts/seeds or their butters? How about beans/legumes beyond soy? If you can tolerate them, they are wonderful portable protein or meal/snack compliments.

Kate, IBS-D.

beans/legumes?? new
      #253187 - 03/20/06 11:27 AM
tayjay

Do you buy these in the can or in the produce section??? And how do you go about cooking them? Or really my question is, what do you cook them with?

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Are you a vegetarian? -nt- new
      #253195 - 03/20/06 12:15 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

No, not a vegetarian -nt- new
      #253196 - 03/20/06 12:16 PM
tayjay

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Re: beans/legumes?? new
      #253197 - 03/20/06 12:16 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hey,

I'm not Kate, but I do eat a lot of beans and legumes! The great thing about them is that in addition to providing protein, they're also a wonderful source of soluble fiber.

If you're short on time, lentil soup is a great thing to have on hand. You can serve it with some bread or crackers and a small salad or cooked veggies for a pretty satisfying meal. I also love to pop a can of black beans and enjoy it with rice, avocado, salsa, and grilled veggies (squash, bell pepper and onion work best) or in a tortilla. I also like garbanzo beans, which i throw into veggie stirfries with a little curry powder for an Indian-style dinner.

If you want to cook the beans fresh, then you can buy them in bulk at your local health food store, soak them overnight, and simmer them in a pan on low heat until they're cooked through. But honestly, I never do this, because it is just so much easier and quicker to use the canned kind!

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Julia

what brand Lentil soup do you buy? new
      #253198 - 03/20/06 12:19 PM
Augie

Also, can anyone suggest a good black bean soup?

--------------------
~ Beth

#253215 - 03/20/06 01:16 PM
Wind

I buy canned & rinse them well after draining. It saves so much time & they are always inexpensive. They are versatile, fast! (Not to mention very filling!!!) They mix & match & combine well with most everything & many moods/flavours.

Kate, IBS-D.

#253217 - 03/20/06 01:24 PM
Wind

I wasn't feeling too meaty this weekend. www.fatfree.com has tons of safe bean/legume ideas & recipes. Honestly, the satiety factor ranks highly. Heck, I ate them all weekend without a problem. I did take Beano, though. They were all very safely prepared, i.e. food processed. Soup is a great meal/mini-meal/snack/starter. Ditto for bean dips/sauces. Great with carrots or chips. You could stuff them in a microwaved sweet potato, even, for a very very fast meal. I'm sure they would be wonderful with crackers, or safe chips, pita or bread.

Kate, IBS-D.

Then try.... new
      #253223 - 03/20/06 01:48 PM
atomic rose

Ok, well, Luna bars are out, then - there's soy in those. But you could still make a protein shake/smoothie using fruit, almond milk, and rice protein powder if you want the added protein. I'm not sure what milk substitute you use, but rice milk doesn't have much in the way of protein in it, so switching to almond milk might help in and of itself.

As for the veggies and fruits going bad, here's the simplest solution: BUY FROZEN! Frozen veggies cook up in a snap in the microwave, and are nearly as healthy as fresh. Frozen fruits can be used as-is in smoothies, or thaw to a nice soft consistency that's perfect for stirring into oatmeal.

Honestly, until you get the hang of eating better, sitting down and making meal plans might be your best option. Start by planning a couple days - not even a full week. You'll see how easy it is to do, and thinking ahead actually saves you some time when the time to cook comes along!

Beans and rice! new
      #253224 - 03/20/06 01:54 PM
atomic rose

Ok, so it's not exactly balanced on its own, but beans and rice together are fabulous! This is a simple recipe for beans and rice - http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/beans/beans-rice - if you're iffy on the corn, just leave it out.

More bean recipes than you can shake a stick at: http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/beans/

If you puree canned beans, you can make a dip like hummus, which you can put on chips with salsa to make nachos. You can also add other things, like rice, and turn them into vegetarian burgers. Pureed seasoned chickpeas, made into patties and baked, are sorta-falafel. Look through that bean recipe page... actually, the entire fatfree.com site is awesome... you're sure to get some ideas.

Re: Beans and rice! new
      #253290 - 03/20/06 06:48 PM
Augie

Should we be eating white rice with the beans? I'm not sure if beans are SF or IF. I thought they were SF...but on the cheat sheet they are listed as IF, I think.

--------------------
~ Beth

#253297 - 03/20/06 07:21 PM
geauga146

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44023

This is not about beans or rice, but I am new to this. I just tried the acatia fiber supplement and it seems diarhea has increased just like when I used to take medimucil years ago. Its only been 4 days, so maybe I havent waited enough. I also heared that lettuce was bad for chrones disease, could this be the case with ibs? No salads? Also is orange juice ok? I love it. thanks

#253298 - 03/20/06 07:35 PM
Wind

Beans contain both IF and SF.

Kate, IBS-D.

Beans with white rice? new
      #253346 - 03/21/06 06:57 AM
Augie

Or is brown rice okay? Still confused. I'm a Cer!

Which is safe and most helpful folks?

--------------------
~ Beth

#253350 - 03/21/06 07:15 AM
tayjay

Hi there! Try making a new post when you're on the main IBS diet board screen. Put a catchy phrase that's related to your topic in the subject box so that people know what you are inquiring about. Also, yes lettuce is insoluble fiber, so you have to make sure to incorporate it with alot of soluble fiber in your meal OR eat it as a salad at the end of your meal. And, as far as orange juice....i'm not completely sure, but I know it has a lot of acidity in it, which can be bad for IBS-ers. You can find out a lot of info on the main page under all the links (trigger foods, what to eat when you can't eat anything, etc.) Hope that helps!!!

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

beans and rice recipe tasted great! Thanks for the suggestion!!! -nt- new
      #253604 - 03/21/06 07:58 PM
tayjay

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4036 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4897

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review