All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is it possible to change from IBS-C to IBS-D or IBS-A? Need help!
      #252861 - 03/18/06 02:50 AM
mickz

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: Jacksonville, FL

For ten years I always had IBS-C with severe constipation, and would welcome any type of BM. Then I got pregnant. I felt the best I ever had in my life the first 2-3 months after giving birth. However, gradually my IBS came back. One year and three months later, My IBS is back in full force. However now when I have a BM, I am in pain for days. The pain starts anywhere from immediately to 3 or 4 hours after the BM. IS THIS IBS-D??? If so, what do I do for the pain??? I am at a loss on how to deal with this, as I've been "programmed" to deal with IBS-C. Any advice would be gratefully welcomed!

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well, I can answer part of that... new
      #252870 - 03/18/06 06:09 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's definitely possible that your IBS symptoms change over time. I was always a straight D... now I'm an A.

However, you still don't sound like a D to me. D is diarrhea, and believe me, you know darn well if you have IBS-D! LOL!! Pain is a completely different issue from D, C, or anything else.

I have to admit that I don't know how to best deal with the pain, because I (thankfully!) never had much of it. However, the best things I've found for spasms (which, I'm assuming, are what's causing your pain) are:

1. Peppermint - tea works, capsules are stronger
2. A good heating pad for the really bad days
3. Following the IBS diet, making sure to get plenty of soluble fiber

If you're already doing that, you might want to talk to your doctor about the possibility of going on an anti-spasmodic drug. But, honestly, I found that peppermint worked as a better anti-spasmodic than Bentyl, so you might want to just try that first.

Good luck!

So, could I be an A? new
      #253015 - 03/19/06 02:38 AM
mickz

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: Jacksonville, FL

The only resaon I ask is because I know that a lot of Ds have pain after BMs. I've never had this before. I used to pray for BMs.

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

Re: So, could I be an A? new
      #253021 - 03/19/06 06:57 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

One of the main symptom of IBS-D is loose frequent BMs. This could mean going 5 times or even more in a short amount of time.

If you're C, that means you aren't having BMs frequently enough.

And if you're A, then you alternate between the two. So you may go a while before having a BM (C) and then for a period of time you'd be going frequently (D).

Pain is a symptom associated with ALL types of IBS. Some have more pain than others, but it is not isolated to just C or just D. As an IBS-D, I found that the pain came before the BM. I'd cramp up, have pain, then the BM would bring (temporary) relief.

It does help to understand what type you are, but it helps even more to understand your symptoms and what causes them, so you can treat them.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

I agree new
      #253026 - 03/19/06 07:19 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

try not to get caught up in the letters (C,A,D). Concentrate on the diet itself.

I am C and have pain all the time. It's not just limited to D. It's very much associate with C folks, unfortunately.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 522 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 954

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review