All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Frustrated With Bland Chicken, What Sauces Are Safe?
      #252806 - 03/17/06 05:14 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi, I've been having a problem with sauces.

I notice, particularly now, that I am sensitive to flavor sauces put on chicken. I have no problem forgoing meat, but when having chicken and rice, it really is essential to have something, a sauce, to flavor it up. Otherwise, the meal is so bland; it is almost unbearable to eat.
I've tried to buy sauces without High Fructose Corn Syrup or ones low in vinegar; however, the same problem remains. I feel very bloated after having them, even some of Trader Joe's.
I don't know if you have a whole foods near you, but I wanted to know if you have this problem, and if not, what you make of this, and what sauces, specific brands, you use.
I like
-Frank's hot sauce -Barbeque Sauce -La Choy Soy Sauce -Soy Vey(Trader Joe's) Teriyaki Sauce
-The last two, for some reason, cause issues, more so when added not marinated.
Any clue on why and what I can do so as not have sauce less, awful tasting chicken?

I really do need to have premade bottled sauces, I only occasional will be able to make my own, it is hard enough getting a chance to make food.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frustrated With Bland Chicken, What Sauces Are Safe? new
      #252815 - 03/17/06 05:44 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I strongly advise making your own sauces with organic ingredients as you sound very sensitive.

With IBS, there is no ultimately safe sauce. It's not a one-size or bottle/label/brand suits all situation. If I'm in a fragile state, even soy sauce would send me into an attack.

Making a safe sauce is not challenging. Often HUNGER is the ultimate flavour enhancer.

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (03/17/06 05:47 PM)

Re: Frustrated With Bland Chicken, What Sauces Are Safe? new
      #252853 - 03/17/06 10:42 PM
Naturapanic

What I really don't understand is, virtually ANYTIME I go to a restaraunt and order
-Buffalo, Barbeque, Soy sauce Chicken

I never get any bad reaction.
For instance, I go out and order Babreque Chicken, I'm cool.
I order Buffalo Chicken from Subway, again, I'm cool.

Yet I use a sauce at home, trouble.
I don't get it, what safe sauces have and of YOU had PERSONAL safe experiences with?

I'm looking for safe Barbeque, Hot Sauce, Soy Sauce, Teryaki Sauce, Italian, Greek, French Dressing.
I wish there was a sticky for this.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

I actually get sauces at meijers more then trader joes.. new
      #252866 - 03/18/06 05:44 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

they have a signature line... with no fructose, no msg, no carageenan, no dairy in most of them (not all!) including a mango chipotle and few other bbq inspired things.. I also found a general tsos sauce without any of those things in it... but mostly I second kate and make my own things... and your lucky- I can't have a lot of the things you have mentioned in that post!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

How about spices? new
      #252872 - 03/18/06 06:14 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I almost never put sauces on chicken, because it's so hard to find good ones. I spice it up instead. My favorite fast standby is to bake chicken generously seasoned with salt and Mrs. Dash. It really can't get any simpler than that.

Rice can similarly be cooked with broth instead of water, and seasoned up to suit just about any taste... curries, saffron, adding vegetables to it. Sometimes I just use the Goya boxed rice mixes. I know you say you don't have time or opportunity to cook, but if you make a big batch of the stuff, it keeps well in the fridge, or can even be frozen in portions.

The answer is this simple new
      #252906 - 03/18/06 11:01 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

SKIP THE SAUCES!!!

As Amie & Atomic Rose said, it's much more interesting, cheaper & safer to spice up your own food. It will save your tummy infinite grief! I cannot tolerate sauces, but give me some herbs & spices, sea salt & fresh lemons, & food tastes amazing. Most bottled sauces are full of all kinds of preservatives and pure crap, seaweeds & gums & mysterious "food starches," that wreck havoc on the g.i. tract. Half of them have modified milk ingredients & msg & hfcs. Even fatfree Italian dressing can do a nasty number on me & leave me with the hiccups for a day & a half! So...explore things like Mrs. Dash & all kinds of spiced shakers--thai, curry, garam masala, chipolte, etc. A fresh lemon does wonders for
adding zest & life to food. Lavender sea salt is divine. Tarragon dijon mustard is full of bite. Even silly things like garlic or onion powder accentuate the food.

Are you eating the food or the sauce? What is the big deal?
Get thee spice/herb shopping. Mmmmm...the smell of thyme or woodsy summer savory...the warmth of cumin...toasted fennel seeds, etc. Fresh ginger...so soothing. Mint, so cleansing to the palatte. Truly...food is not boring with a hint of spice. Ginger tea accidentally spilled in my chicken salad the other day and holy wonderful accidental taste bud surprise.

I think you're a wee bit obsessed with this issue. There is no "sticky." You know what will set you into an attack. Store bought stinks. There's just something suspect about it as I've learned from past experience & don't waste my time. One of my favourite flavour boosters, lately, is incorporating carrot or beet juice into a dish. Yum...curried carrot juice vinaigrette.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: How about spices? new
      #252907 - 03/18/06 11:04 AM
Naturapanic

Thanks!
Interesting then that I am not the only one.
What is about store bought sauces which hurt us?

You know what I really don't understand, why is it at restaraunts I don't have this problem?
Is there anything specific in the sauces to avoid besides fructose, xanthum gum, and careegan?

I go to subway, order chicken with Buffalo sauce, no issues.
Same with Barbeque chicken.

I would think Subway of all places would use a premade bottled sauce much like you buy at the stores.
I don't get it.

What about Whole foods?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

I have two sauces you may like! new
      #252940 - 03/18/06 02:07 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I love to cook chicken with Heather's BBQ sauce from the EFI cookbook. She uses it on her pizza recipe, but it tastes awesome on oven baked chicken as well.

If you don't have the book it's basically just ketchup, ground chipotle pepper, white vinegar and honey. I use about 4 oz. of ketchup, 1 tsp. vinegar, 1 tsp honey, and season to taste with the chipotle.

I also stir fry my chicken in a homemade teriyaki sauce. It's 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp. canola oil, 1/2 tsp. ground mustard, and 1/2 tsp. ground ginger! This sauce goes well on anything!

Re: I have two sauces you may like! new
      #252950 - 03/18/06 02:54 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks!
What kind of ketchup do you buy, I would hate to use the wrong kind and get ill.
Same for the Soy Sauce.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: I have two sauces you may like! new
      #253002 - 03/18/06 09:15 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I usually get Kikkoman (sp) soy sauce. I use regular old Heinz ketchup. You could probably be safer and buy some organic stuff at your HFS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3772 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5665

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review