All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Sandyg new
      #252820 - 03/17/06 06:01 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Usually taking it after the first BM makes it my only BM. UNLESS I've seriously overeaten or eaten unusually high fiber/higher fat meals the day before. Lately I have been having maybe one more small BM at night before bedtime. Not sure what that's about but it doesn't bother me, no cramps or pain. But if I do have a day when I have more morning BM's the immodium doesn't stop them completely, just slows them down.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oh YEAH! new
      #252934 - 03/18/06 01:39 PM
Letty

Reged: 03/15/06
Loc: Bullhead City, Arizona

Thanks Bevvy: Yes, I had the colonoscopy when they kept me in the hospital for a couple of days, running all the tests and couldn't diagnose it there. After getting an app't with a GI 2 mos later, he diagnosed it immediately. But never advised me anything other than taking the Bentyl, "until you feel you no longer need it". So that's what I did. Kept eating and drinking my awesome Cappuccino's Grande with 2 shots of expresso, on an almost daily basis, besides my 3 regular cups of coffee just to get me out of the house!!! Because of acid reflux, I started to cut back on the coffee, but have continued until this last episode, I'm Coffee-Free for 4 days now! I've been drinking coffee since I was 5 years old. Along with spicy hot food and alcohol. What a diet! I am having such withdrawls..headaches, grouchiness, craving....etc. I'm a true Mexican that cooks and eats Jalapeno peppers with all my meals. But the pain won this time. I'm relinquishing control to Heather's Diet. I've been drinking peppermint tea, eating rice, flour tortillas, avocados and potatoes. I'm starving and craving, but for the first time, this week, no "D"! Yeah! Now I will deal with the panic attacks. I think the meds contribute to it myself. The bottle says "may cause dizziness" and I think that's what gives me the panic attacks, the dizziness. This is a small town, and I do know where all the toilets in this town are. So hopefully I won't have to give up my job. Next week I'm going to cook something from the book, maybe with a little Mexican flavor!! Goodbye Hot Sauce! Thanks to everyone for your support! You are all my new "girlfriends"!!

--------------------
IBS-D,ACID REFLUX, PANIC ATTACKS

?How do I live without my Cholula Hot Sauce?

Re: Panic Attacks! new
      #252939 - 03/18/06 02:01 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hi Letty,

In a few short months I am going to be a lawyer, talk about a hectic profession! Plus, the area of law I'm going into (criminal prosecution) requires me to be in court, on center stage most of the time. When I was first trying to get my IBS-D under control I freaked out all the time and worried I wouldn't be able to practice law as I wanted to. It was a horrible feeling to think that I couldn't do all I was capable and desiring to do because of my tummy problems. All of my worry and anxiety about my stomach caused my IBS to flare, which made me obsses more about my problems, which led to more IBS symptoms. A never ending circle of pain!

I finally decided anxiety was not going to inhibit be anymore and I went to the doctor. He put me on Effexor and it has been my life saver! It's an anti-anxiety/depressant. It cured me of my panic attacks and, along with Heather's diet and regular exerise, it helped get my stomach problems under control. I would strongly suggest you talk to your doctor about an anti-anxiety or anti-depression medication. I know others on here have used Welbutrin, Zoloft, Elavil and Effexor to name a few.

You do not have to let your anxiety control your life! Good luck

The Hypno tapes!!! new
      #252961 - 03/18/06 03:32 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Until Bevvy mentioned it I forgot to tell you about Michael's CD's. They are so wonderful and really did help with my anxiety attacks. I finished the series a few months ago but I think I will start them over again. They really tamed my gut and it can't hurt to revisit them.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Re: Panic Attacks! new
      #253184 - 03/20/06 11:11 AM
Letty

Hi Amanda: Here's my question, how long have you been on Effexor? ..and if you get off of it, what are the chances of reoccuring panic attacks, do you know, or does anyone know? The reason I ask, I was prescribed Effexor, 3 years ago. I was to be on it for approx 6 month. It took me another 6 months to get off of it, because of the withdrawal symptoms. That was worse than the anxiety I was having to start with! Although now, the anxiety has develped up to panic attacks and I'm open to an Anti-D, I'm just really afraid of the physical withdrawal. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

--------------------

Yeah, I've heard that's common. new
      #253309 - 03/20/06 09:42 PM
AmandaM

I have definitely heard of the withdrawal symptoms, but for me, the medication works so incredibly well that I decided it was worth the risk. I know from personal experience that ADs affect everyone differently. I have tried a few and they all had different side effects for me. Effexor has helped the most. I have been on it for about 2 months or so. At about six weeks I began to see a marked difference in my anxiety and IBS symptoms.

As to the recurrence of panic attacks, I suppose that all depends on what is causing them in the first place (i.e. chemical imbalance, stress, anxiety, etc).

The doctors I have been to believe that my anxiety is caused by a serotonin imbalance, which explains why Effexor works for me since it works on your serotonin levels. I know when I go off the ADs my anxiety always returns. This probably set off my initial panic attack years ago and that attack prompted me to obsess about another attack, thus, causing more panic attacks and making my IBS worse.

After my first round of ADs (Zoloft) and with some cognitive behavioral therapy and yoga, I learned to recognize when I was getting that "panicky" feeling and control myself. I have not had a full-on panic attack for about 5 years now. Even when I went off the meds.

I think if you are concerned about your anxiety and panic attacks you should definitely see your doctor. If Effexor didn't work for you, then try something else. However, I know that it has been improved (according to my doctor) from its older version. An AD may be the thing you need!

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you! ((Hugs)) Hope you feel better soon!

Amanda

Re: Yeah, I've heard that's common. new
      #253574 - 03/21/06 05:30 PM
Letty

Thanks, Amanda. I'm seeing a dr. tomorrow. I'll discuss this with her, maybe she can just prescribe a lower dosage so that it just doesn't become so physically difficult to get off of it when the time comes. I appreciate your help.

--------------------

FYI Letty new
      #253821 - 03/22/06 05:21 PM
AmandaM

I am taking the lowest dosage possible 37.5 mg once daily. I seemed to "even out" at that level so the doctor wants me to stay there unless I start to relapse. Good luck!

Update on Panic Attacks new
      #253965 - 03/23/06 09:45 AM
Letty

Dr. agreed that I needed to go back on A/D. Prescribed Cymbalta 33.7 1xday for one week and then 2xday next week. Panic attacks have actually increased this week. Never had so many back to back. But she reminded me that I'm withdrawing from a couple of things, mainly COFFEE. She told me to go back on it 1/2 and 1/2 decaf. For a while. I also found out that my hormones level which is very low, (hysterectomy 23 yrs ago) has SO MUCH to do with all of this. She started me on a different hormone and that may have triggered the IBS, which triggered the panic attacks. So it's good to know that I'm not crazy and that there are some answers to this madness that we live in. My D is still stable

--------------------

That's good news! new
      #254001 - 03/23/06 12:50 PM
AmandaM

Of COURSE you're not crazy, although I know how it feels to think you are the only looney-tooney one in your midst. I am so glad that you are getting help to cope with this Keep me updated and if you need to compare notes at any time don't hesitate to email me. panda83081@yahoo.com

Good luck Letty!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1842 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7340

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review