All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Diareahea from out of nowhere and anorexia on it's way = Help Me Please
      #252464 - 03/16/06 08:46 AM
ryry83

Reged: 03/16/06
Loc: Canada

I have had IBS for a couple years now. There were times where I had to follow the diet strictly with a Metamucil regiment as well. For the past year or so I've been pretty safe with my IBS (only diareha) happening in the morning in response to my smoking.

Right now however I have had uncontrollable diareha and it comes out of the clear blue sky. I haven't been eating anything for days out of fear.

I was wondering if this could be a by product of eating mayonnaise on my tuna sandwiches and drinking caffeine free pepsi. I binged last weekend and drank 6 caffeeine free pepsi's. Could this be related. The pharmacist thinks it's just stress as I have anxiety disorder and agoraphobia.

How can I change my habits and start eating again, immediately, because I'm awfully hungry but I don't want to eat the wrong foods and I can't really afford some of the fancy stuff on the safe food list.

Please help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diareahea from out of nowhere and anorexia on it's way = Help Me Please new
      #252465 - 03/16/06 08:51 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

Make yourself a piece of toast, or eat some applesauce or a banana. Just start out slow and get yourself healthy again.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#252468 - 03/16/06 09:00 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06

Pepsi and mayonaise could definetly be contributing. I use Veganaise which is mayonaise made without eggs or dairy, so it does not cause problems. Even though the Pepsi you have is caffeine-free, it still has other triggers such as the carbonated water (can cause gas which upsets your system) and high fructose corn syrup which many are sensitive to.
My advice would be stop having Pepsi and mayonaise.

Not eating could also be making it worse. If your stomach is completely empty, it's more sensitive to what you put in. So if you're on empty, you should be eating SF foods first.

Some easy, cheap foods are white bread, rice, and pasta, which you coudl and should start to eat right away. Drink lots of peppermint tea and water to make sure you stay hydrated. See the list of "What to eat when you can't eat anything" http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/what_to_eat.asp
You can also try Immodium for immediate relief of D, but make sure to eat right as well.

You should follow this right away to stop the D, but also make an appointment with your doctor asap. And if you think it is stress-related you could also talk to your doctor about that.

Goodluck, and let us know how you do
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#252470 - 03/16/06 09:03 AM
ryry83

One question... if I make pasta what can I put on it that won't cause IBS... I'm thinking the only thing that can be put on pasta is tomatoe sauce and that's too spicy for me. Is there anything else I can use?

#252472 - 03/16/06 09:16 AM
grannyj

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: arizona

Starvation, all by itself, will cause D. You need to get something in you. I agree with the others - white bread or bagels, rice, even some lowfat chicken or veggie broth.

--------------------
Jerie - IBS-D

My actions are my only true belongings.
the Buddha

#252474 - 03/16/06 09:23 AM
K2

Tomato sauce would not be a good idea if you have D right now. Real Butter would not be good either, but maybe a safe butter or margarine, with a bit of salt?

Some things I have pasta with when my stomach is iffy: chicken broth, lemon & honey, very light italien dressing.

Try not to overdo it for a couple days. I know you are hungry and want some tasty food, just be careful.

ttyl, Kat

--------------------
Kat

#252475 - 03/16/06 09:25 AM
ryry83

I've decided that white rice is my best bet for now. I figure if the orientals can eat it so can I. Since I'm bordering on starvation how much should I eat today?

Re: Several things you can change... new
      #252479 - 03/16/06 09:30 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

I have had IBS for a couple years now. There were times where I had to follow the diet strictly with a Metamucil regiment as well. For the past year or so I've been pretty safe with my IBS (only diareha) happening in the morning in response to my smoking. Have you thought about quitting smoking? Not easy, I know, but a few people here have done so and seen a dramatic reduction in their IBS attacks/symptoms.

Right now however I have had uncontrollable diareha and it comes out of the clear blue sky. I haven't been eating anything for days out of fear. Ugh, sorry you had to experience one of those bad attacks. Not eating regularly can trigger attacks.

I was wondering if this could be a by product of eating mayonnaise on my tuna sandwiches and drinking caffeine free pepsi. Yes, if the mayonnaise was not fat-free. Fat is another really bad trigger. I binged last weekend and drank 6 caffeeine free pepsi's. Could this be related. Definitely! This is the worst because you still have HFCS and the carbonation - both irritate the GI tract and will set off really bad attacks. The pharmacist thinks it's just stress as I have anxiety disorder and agoraphobia. Stress will aggravate your symptoms of IBS, but it alone does not cause IBS.

How can I change my habits and start eating again, immediately, because I'm awfully hungry but I don't want to eat the wrong foods and I can't really afford some of the fancy stuff on the safe food list. Start with Heather's guidelines on Breaking the Cycle or What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything. Make sure you cut out all trigger foods. You don't need to buy or make anything fancy; you just want to keep it simple, just SF, for a few days and then start incorporating IF and protein. Here's a link to get you started: How to Eat for IBS . Also, check out the diet FAQ for any specific questions about the diet. HTH and that you're feeling better soon!

Please help.

Edited by Maria! Maria! (03/16/06 09:32 AM)

#252483 - 03/16/06 09:51 AM
K2

Try and keep your stomach satisfied all day. Don't overeat and feel full, since this is hard on your stomach. Don't let yourself feel hungry, since this means your stomach is too empty.

Make sure you eat every 2 hours at least. If you can snack all day on safe foods then that is ideal. Drink lots of peppermint tea.

Rice is fine, but you don't have to only eat that. Try getting some applesauce and bananas. As I said before, any white breads, pasta and rice are good.

Hope you feel better soon,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#252485 - 03/16/06 10:04 AM
ryry83

Well the good news is I always able to eat a good serving of plain rice. Yes it was boring. I was unsure if soya sauce would be bad for me. I also wasn't sure if pepper would be bad for, so I just ate it plain. Or rather I choked it down, but I knew it was for the better good. I also drank some water because I think that will take away the dehydration and I was thirsty.

My plan is to eat some soda crackers throughout the day and another cup of rice in the evening. I just read Heather's what to eat when you can't eat anything and it seems easy enough to follow.

Luckily I do have some peppermint tea and I'm going to make some right now.

Thanks for your help so far I'll keep you posted as to my progress ie. if the D. goes away and things turn back to normal.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2314 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1478

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review