All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Has anyone had relief from IBS by eliminating your menstrual cycle?
      #252314 - 03/15/06 11:08 AM
mickz

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: Jacksonville, FL

My IBS starts on day 23 of my cycle every month. At this same time, I also have an increase in cervical mucus, which means I'm ovulating. By IBS symptoms disappear as soon as I start my period. Having also been diagnosed with endometriosis, I am wondering if by taking birth control straight for 4 weeks without a week off would help eliviate some of my IBS. Anyone else tried this?

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Has anyone had relief from IBS by eliminating your menstrual cycle? new
      #252318 - 03/15/06 11:23 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Menstrual cycles can't really be eliminated. If you have a light flow talk to your doctor about Seasonale. It's a pill that you take eleven weeks on, one week off. And you'll need to alk to your doc about taking it and having endo. But it isn't for everyone. I tried it and had a 45 day period. I finally just quit taking it. On the upside, it did help my IBS quite a lot. But I have a very heavy flow that wasn't about to wait 11 weeks. It works very well for some people, though.

Also, when you start your cycle, your body produces chemicals that can cause D and cramping in a lot of women.

I suggest finding a good OB/GYN to work with you.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#252320 - 03/15/06 11:39 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I have endo and take the bc pill continuously. I haven't had a period in a few years. There is much debate over this issue, though. I would recommend talking to your doctor about your options. My IBS diagnosis came 2 years after I started getting my endo symptoms under control, so I can't really answer your question about eliminating menstrual cycle to help IBS specifically. Sorry!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#252322 - 03/15/06 12:05 PM
pageone

Reged: 03/15/06

Unfortunately I had a hysterectomy when I was 35, many years ago and I still have IBS, sometimes excruciatingly. I would love to say eliminating my period helped however for me it did not. So sorry!,p.

#252346 - 03/15/06 01:38 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

You can eliminate your menstrual cycle using bc pills. See the discussion thread for IUD... Anyone using it?.

I did stop getting my periods before I was diagnosed with IBS, however I did notice some relief of IBS symptoms. About the entire week before each period I would be C. Then the first few days of my period would be D and didn't seem related to food. As much as it did help those specific symptoms, I still got IBS D attacks from food, and had to change my diet to fix that.

Point is, it could help, but it may not solve everything. I assume results would be different for everybody.

Goodluck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

For Michelle new
      #252366 - 03/15/06 02:54 PM
mickz

Reged: 09/07/03
Loc: Jacksonville, FL

So, you're IBS is triggered by food and/or stress, and not hormones? Whereas, mine is mainly triggered by hormones.

--------------------
IBS-C, pain predominant

#252370 - 03/15/06 03:09 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

From what I've been told and have read, some people's cycles will stop with different types of bc. But others on the same bc won't. Everyone is so different you never know how it will go until you try it. My gyno told me that with something like Seasonale, that takes you down to 4 periods a year or other bc that can stop your period completely, some people are still producing chemicals and can have too much iron in their system because it normally would come out during their cycle. I've also read that while women certainly don't need to have a period every month, that cutting them out entirely can be very dangerous to your system. And I've known people on bc who, while the bleeding stopped, still had PMS, which I think is the worse time for some people with IBS.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#252384 - 03/15/06 04:01 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Yup definetly people will react differently. I guess you can't really know unless you try something how you will react to it. I guess that's why there are many different options out there, and I'm glad there are!

Eliminating your menstrual cycle can really help low iron problems. I'm not sure what to do about too much iron if that is a problem, though I would think donating blood could be a good way.

I haven't actually found much information about this subject by searching online. At least nothing conclusive since it is new and there aren't any long-term studies. I would be interested in articles about long-term risks from skipping your cycle. Most just seem to emphasize the risks already associated with the pill, which so far I seem to have no problems with, and of course the 'unknown' since there are no long-term studies. Have you come across any articles that stood out?

Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Tried it. Didn't work for me. -nt new
      #252424 - 03/15/06 10:42 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Mickz new
      #252436 - 03/16/06 06:02 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Quote:

So, you're IBS is triggered by food and/or stress, and not hormones? Whereas, mine is mainly triggered by hormones.

Yes - I think that's a fair way to put it. Although I'm not sure what would happen IBS-wise if I did start getting my periods again.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1501 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1537

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review