All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sweet cravings: Starbursts, Skittles, or Jolly Ranchers?
      #252148 - 03/14/06 09:59 AM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

I need something sweet to suck on, but I don't know what kind of candies are IBS safe. I really like Starbursts, skittles, and jolly ranchers. Do any of you know if these are acceptable or what I would be looking for in the ingredients that would suggest it is not safe? I know to look for HFCS but what else is bad? Ever since I started Heather's diet I have focused on fresh bread, rice, potatoes, safe veggies, and chicken- hardly eating anything sweet. I've lost a lot of weight and wouldn't mind getting a few extra calories and satisfying my sucking candy urge.

Thanks for any help!

Amber

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sweet cravings: Starbursts, Skittles, or Jolly Ranchers? new
      #252154 - 03/14/06 10:33 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

One exception about ibs is we can indeed have some sweets!! But be careful with not only HFCS, but some people also can't tolerate corn syrup alone. Skittles have corn syrup as one of the first ingredients, I think.
I would suggest doing a search. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed several times. I also have quite a sweet tooth, normally I eat things like candy canes (the peppermint helps to relieve nausea.) Some folks here eat junior mints, I think gobstoppers might be okay. I don't know about starbursts but I would like to know if they are safe because they sell them in our school....

#252156 - 03/14/06 10:42 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

Hi there. I would just give what you like a try and see how you do. If you like chewy, swedish fish are pretty good I think! I suck on those dum dum lollipops sometimes.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#252167 - 03/14/06 11:12 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I like to eat sweetened dried fruit in place of candy. I just make sure it has only been sweetened with plain old normal sugar and I always get the organic whenever I can.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#252177 - 03/14/06 12:07 PM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

HFCS is not the only thing to watch out for. Some people are sensitive to artificial colors and flavors .. which candies DEFINITELY have. One or two probably won't hurt after some SF, but I wouldn't try it on an empty stomach.

#252224 - 03/14/06 04:43 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I eat skittles from time to time or sweetarts or smarties. Most candy like that is safe. Some have HFCS but most don't. Some have oil and fat when you think they wouldn't. I think starbursts had some fat. These are 'safe' but not really good for you as fake stuff and excess sugar isn't great for the body. Have you tried the licorice made with fruit juice? They sell that in the produce section. It and twizzlers are safe and not so fakey. The best candy for you are Gingins or ginger chews made by the Ginger People. They help your tummy and are sweet. Gin gins are also hot too but ginger chews, especially apple flavored, are pretty sweet and good. Sometimes having some candy will keep a person away from unsafe cookies, cakes and chocolates and that is good. Junior mints are also safe, peppermint patties are tolerated by most as well.
Can you tell I have a sweet tooth?
I actually have a candy bag in my desk drawer at work with starlight mints, gin gins, sweetarts and cough drops.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#252231 - 03/14/06 06:03 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I eat Skittles, Junior Mints, licorice, jelly beans or peppermint sticks whenever I get a craving. I don't have any problems with these.

Thank you everyone! = - ) -nt- new
      #252237 - 03/14/06 06:36 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05

#252239 - 03/14/06 07:32 PM
scarrlet86

Reged: 02/21/06

I've found that straight sugar doesn't cause me problems, unless of course I over do it . I agree with any candy by the Ginger People being good as well as theraputic. I carry gin gins with me at all times in case nausea strikes. Some other things I use whe I have a craving for sweets (and my biggest weakness in chocolate) are chcocolate Rice Dream, gummi bears, No Pudge Fudge brownies made with applesauce (fat free and divine, Trader Joe's carries them, and they also have mail order on their website, which can be googled), peppermint altoids (also great for gut pain), and angel food cake (divine with fat free chocolate syrup--read the lables, hershey's has one that's thicker and says something like "double chocolate" on it and is fat free). You might want to go to your local health food/natural foods/imports store and do some exploring. I find some of my favorite candy and goodies at Trader Joe's, Cost Plus World Market, and other such places. There's lots of tasty stuff out there that won't bother your tummy.

Starburst hurt my tummy :( new
      #252256 - 03/15/06 02:52 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..not sure why though..

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 624 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5166

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review