All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
the safest veggies
      #251375 - 03/10/06 10:12 AM
trying to be helpful

Reged: 03/08/06
Loc: Israel

Please offer some suggestions about the safest veggies (and fruit) for my daughter's IBS (C right now, though D before beginning this diet). My daughter has limited herself to squash and carrots for now, and the pains have subsided. Now she needs more fiber and variety in her diet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: the safest veggies new
      #251378 - 03/10/06 10:22 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

-Potatoes
-Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of nutrients
-Mango (some people have trouble with this but I'm fine with it.)
-Parsnip
-Turnip is quite safe but have SF with it
-Blueberries (helps me go. have this is Sf as well)
-Zuchinni
-Beets.

Thats all I can think of right now. HTH!

#251381 - 03/10/06 10:32 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You should check out the Cheat Sheet that's available under the IBS Diet & Recipes link (under the section How to Eat for IBS). It lists safe SF foods, including vegetables and fruits, IF foods that you need to eat safely, and triggers that should be avoided. It's a really handy little list that you can print out.

#251410 - 03/10/06 12:18 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

My safest bets for healthy vegetables are sweet potatoes, zucchinni, and cooked greens like spinach or chard (some people like to puree these to make them more digestable, but I do fine with just sauteeing them.) Some others that I can personally tolerate (as long as they're cooked pretty well) are bell peppers, asparagus, green beans, and mushrooms. In fact, the only veggies I really don't eat are cruceriferous ones like broccoli and cauliflower. As far as fruit, I eat bananas every day, and I can also do pears, peaches, most berries (watch out for lots of seeds) and small amounts of apples. I can also eat dried fruits like dried apricots, cherries, and apple rings, as long as I take Beano and digestive enzymes first.

Everyone's different, so keep experimenting. Hope that helps!

--------------------
Julia

Re: the safest veggies and fruits new
      #251445 - 03/10/06 01:56 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I have D and eat the following without trouble:
Potato, mushroom, very well cooked and squishy asparagus, yams, avocados, very small amounts of sauteed red onion or broccoli (I steam the broccoli), bananas, mangoes, apples (I use fugi apples to make applesauce. I don't eat the apple raw.), small amounts of strawberries, and all of these dried as well. The mango and banana, I think, are the safest of the fruit. I also make a lot of fruit smoothies. I can get my fruit that way and it is so blended up by the time I get it that it digests much more easily.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#251458 - 03/10/06 02:24 PM
southernbelle

Loc: Mississippi

ugh... I am working on this, but many fruits and veggies are very hard on me.

safe:
bananas (although I hear they are constipating for C?)
mangoes
applesauce
apples (cooked and peeled)
carrots
sweet potatoes (no peeeling)
plain potatoes
squash and pumpkin
cooked blueberries
cooked strawberries (as long as its with a SF base)
mashed green peas(well cooked)

I wish I could tolerate more variety, I love veggies of all sorts but a major trigger for me.

--------------------
married to the most amazing man!

#252643 - 03/17/06 06:56 AM
trying to be helpful

Loc: Israel

Thanks for the list. I've passsed it on to my daughter. What do you take for fiber? What kind of veggies or other food do you find you can tolerate without it giving you gas, etc? My daughter finds that even whole wheat bread gives her gas...

#252695 - 03/17/06 09:32 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I use Heather's Acacia fiber and use Bean-O for the gas. Bean-O works extremely well for me. There isn't anything I can take alone w/o getting gas. But the safest seem to be breads and rice. Mushrooms are pretty easy on me. I always just take a Bean-O with my first bite and the gas stays away. Your daughter may have to try a few things for gas before she finds one that works for her body as we're all so different. Best of luck to her.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#252701 - 03/17/06 09:56 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hohoyumyum's given you some really great tips! I would also like to add that I can tolerate mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes just fine. Basically, I can tolerate any vegetable and fruit listed on Heather's SF list. I can also tolerate quite a bit of the vegetables listed on her IF list if they're well-cooked, mashed, or pureed and served with a good base of SF (like white rice or potatoes or bread). I think you can help your daughter by making sure her vegetables are finely chopped, pureed, or cooked. This will make it easier for her to digest. Also, drinking fennel tea will help with the gas.

Whole wheat bread is not recommended for IBSers because it's high in IF (insoluble fiber). So, this is more difficult to digest, which will cause gas and other IBS symptoms.

#252777 - 03/17/06 01:23 PM
southernbelle

Loc: Mississippi

SO you take beano with every meal, every day?

--------------------
married to the most amazing man!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5918 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2573

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review