All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
7-year old with IBS?
      #251066 - 03/09/06 10:30 AM
IBSAUNT

Reged: 03/09/06

My 7-year old nephew has always had problems with gas (drops & soy formula as infant) and has always been a VERY picky eater. He has bouts of pain and bloating. We believe he has IBS-D. Any advice and/or food options for a child who is extremely picky? His staples are plain pasta, toast, ketchup, broccoli, apples. Will not touch any cheese, tomatoes, and eats very little meat. Also doesn't like things mixed.

(I have IBS- not so bad at the moment-- and I've read Heather's book & followed the diet. It's not surprising the child has IBS issues!)

Thanks!

Edited by IBSAUNT (03/09/06 10:37 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 7-year old with IBS? new
      #251071 - 03/09/06 10:40 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Red meat and dairy products are foods to be avoided when you have IBS, so it's a good thing your nephew doesn't like them. Maybe he's already associating them with D attacks, which is why he avoids eating these things. Make sure his vegetables are well cooked and that he has a good soluble fiber base (like pasta or white bread). Broccoli can be difficult for some because it's high in insoluble fiber, but I can tolerate it if it's cooked and chopped up. Apples and most fruits are high in IF too. Make sure the apple is peeled and chopped and that he doesn't eat it on an empty stomach.

Have you read through the dietary guidelines and "how to eat" for IBS? These are available on the main site. There's also a great explanation on the difference between soluble fiber (SF) and insoluble fiber (IF) and how they affect IBS. There's a Cheat Sheet that lists which foods are SF, which are IF, and which trigger foods need to be avoided.

Has your nephew been to a doctor and diagnosed with IBS yet?

#251139 - 03/09/06 01:00 PM
IBSAUNT

He had a first doctor visit this week, but I think it was just with his pediatrician. There is no diagnosis yet, but the doctor advised eliminating all dairy products & keeping a diary of food & attacks. My family thinks it's IBS, so hopefully I can get them to visit this site and read the information as well. As you said- we also think he avoids certain foods because he knows they will make him sick.

I now have much more sympathy for children with IBS, because they don't always have total control over their meals. As adults we can read and process the information on this site & make our own choices. But for several years, we've just thought he was "picky". Even packing his lunch takes extra thought-- expecially when he won't eat SO many things.

Thanks for the reply!

#251141 - 03/09/06 01:06 PM
southernbelle

Reged: 03/08/06
Loc: Mississippi

Just wanted to wish yall the best! Ive had IBS since I can remember being alive. Your son is very lucky to have parents that are concerned. (I was so embaressed as a child to tell anyone).

--------------------
married to the most amazing man!

#251160 - 03/09/06 01:59 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Sounds like he eats even more variety than I did at his age! I was an extremely picky eater, and I'm not sure if it was the IBS but I never did like beef.

A couple things to try that are easy with kids, is spreads for sandwiches. If he likes peanut butter, quite a few IBS-D can tolerate it. Also there is a non-dairy version of Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread, mmmm good) which is the only spread I ate as a kid.

What about soups? Chicken noodle soup is great. Throw some extra pasta or rice in, some carrots too if he likes them.

For meat, chicken and turkey are good to try plain. For years I never ate meat in sandwiches. I liked things to be separate. So I'd just take some turkey slices (meat for sandwiches) and ate them with nothing. I'm not sure if you can find a breaded chicken that's safe? I'm thinking of something like chicken nuggets, and he can dip them in ketchup.

As for snacks I recommend Arrowroot cookies, animal crackers, bananas, apples, carrots, and plain oatmeal muffins. Applesauce is great, and the one I like best is Mott's strawberry applesauce.

And finally, one snack I just found and wish I had as a kid, are Cuties (made by Toffuti). They are non-dairy ice cream sandwiches that taste absolutely delicious! Try the vanilla ones first since they are easiest on a picky eater's taste buds.

One thing to note, a lot of parents give box juices to kids in their lunches for school. If you check this website, I think somewhere it says they are not really that great. The high sugar concentration can cause problems. Cranberry juice is good, and although I have a feeling he won't like it, it's worth it to try.

And one more thing I wanted to add is don't try and introduce new things all at once. As a kid I liked eating the exact same stuff every single day. Sounds boring but that's what I liked. If he's the same way, then offer new things, keep them around, but it may take him a while to try even one new type of food.

Good luck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#251187 - 03/09/06 03:49 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Forgot one other thing, turkey hot dogs!
Make sure to get ones with only white meat (most have white & dark, and are surprisingly high in fat).
They are great with ketchup too.
Here's one example: http://www.ballparkfranks.com/products/default.aspx?p=4&q=3

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#251295 - 03/09/06 09:38 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

And finally, one snack I just found and wish I had as a kid, are Cuties (made by Toffuti). They are non-dairy ice cream sandwiches that taste absolutely delicious! Try the vanilla ones first since they are easiest on a picky eater's taste buds. Yes, these are great!

And one more thing I wanted to add is don't try and introduce new things all at once. As a kid I liked eating the exact same stuff every single day. Sounds boring but that's what I liked. If he's the same way, then offer new things, keep them around, but it may take him a while to try even one new type of food. I've heard that a child has to try something about ten times before he/she gets used to the taste! I don't know if you could get a kid to try something they don't like that many times.

Good luck,
Kat

#251453 - 03/10/06 02:14 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

It is not surprising that a 7 year old is a picky eater. Most of them are. I agree with the food tips K2 has given. Try steaming the broccoli to make it easier to digest. But I'm concerned about the pain and bloating he is feeling. Has he been to a doctor? I know it can be very embarassing for a child but I would want to make sure that it is just IBS. If it is, then no prob, all the answers are here. I hope he starts feeling better and thank you for helping him. I was on my own with IBS from about age 12 on until I found Heather. So it's great to see he has help.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#252884 - 03/18/06 07:20 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

7 year olds can be picky at the best of times. My cousin doesnt have ibs but all she will eat is chicken and crisps! i wishyou all the best in sorting your nephew out. Perhaps try some of the recipes in heathers books tht include the food he likes. Good luck, let us know how it goes...
jo x

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

#267158 - 06/02/06 08:34 AM
IBSAUNT

I'm not sure of any exact diagnosis yet. I know he has been to a gastroenterologist and has been through a few tests. As far as I know, they're leaning toward IBS. He's now drinking all soy milk and trying to stay away from dairy in general. Thanks everyone for your input.

IBSAunt.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review