All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
starting ibs diet tomorrow, fiber pill question
      #250866 - 03/08/06 06:49 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

i'm buying the foods that ive read on here that i can eat, so im starting the diet tomorrow, but my question is, my doctor wants me to buy benefiber and work my way up to 20 grams a day, is that too much, i have D and dont wanna get C I have to cut out dairy completely and I'm not allowed to have soy because I have hypothyroidism..this will be a big change for me.. im so worried im going to end up not being able to go at all.. any advice? my dr also said stay away from lactose, fructose and sorbitol..i cant afford the book for this so im going by what ive read on here.. so im getting white rice, rice cakes, oatmeal, potatoes, chicken, applesauce, baked chips, tuna, pita bread, water, and bananas..im a picky eater and its gonna be a total change from what im used to eating!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: starting ibs diet tomorrow, fiber pill question new
      #250903 - 03/08/06 08:38 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

How does hypothyroidism effect soy intake? I have hypothyroidism and I have a large amount of soy in my diet and I've never had a problem with it. Try not to worry about the change in diet. Make sure you add a Multivitamin to make up for what you won't be eating. I know the chances are slim, but if you're near Portland, Or, I'll loan you my copy of the book. You might check and see if any libraries around you have it. One other thing, talk to more than one Dr. about IBS. I have found that a lot of Dr.s have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to IBS. I've taught more to all of mine about IBS then they have taught me. What's important to remember is to base your meals on pasta, breads, rice, or potatoes (not the skin). As for the fiber, I use Heather's Acacia fiber and I'll never use anything else. I've never tried Benefiber so I don't know what it's like. Pay attention to how you feel and if you know that you are taking too much, cut back. This is a great site. Ask all the questions you have.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#250928 - 03/09/06 12:15 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hey! I want to wish you luck on your first day of the diet! It sounds like you're ready for this change.

Benefiber shouldn't make you more D or C - not if you work your way up to the recommended dose slowly. Also, I don't think any SFS will make you C. If you read the section on soluble fiber, you'll find Heather's explanation on how this works.

I second Hoho's recommendation about seeing if your local library has the book since you can't afford it right now. If your library doesn't carry the book, ask if you can put in a purchase order request for them to buy the book or ask if you can do an interlibrary loan (they'll try to borrow it from another library for you).

Even though you say you're a picky eater, you can do this! You have the right tools - Heather's guidelines are great and so much of the information is readily available on the site - and it sounds like you have a really good doctor who's already familiar with IBS triggers.

Best wishes!

#250951 - 03/09/06 06:13 AM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

thanks for the replies! im no where near portland lol but thank you for the offer,that was nice of you!! im so excited about this diet, not only about learning to control the ibs but about losing weight! im not sure what the soy has to do with thyroid but a nurse told me that and heres a page i read it on http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm i hope i can post that on here?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

#250956 - 03/09/06 06:28 AM
southernbelle

Reged: 03/08/06
Loc: Mississippi

Hi Chely.

I wanted to wish you improvment with you new change into the IBS diet.
I dont use Benefiber (all souble fiber), take it before each meal. I had to work myself up but I find it helps alot. Just slowly up your intake. It's pure soluble fiber, so I would not think it'd bother your IBS-D...SF aids in both D and C.

--------------------
married to the most amazing man!

If you don't use Benefiber, what do you use? new
      #250961 - 03/09/06 06:36 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm always curious as to what other C folks find helpful.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#251236 - 03/09/06 06:27 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Interesting. I have way more soy in my diet than they say is safe. But there's no way I'd give up Heather's diet for my old one. I hope that the diet works out well for you. And be sure to list on the boards whenever you have any questions.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Southernbelle.... new
      #254671 - 03/27/06 07:50 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...what SFS do you use? How much? Are you a C or D?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1852 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1272

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review