All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Looking for low sugar soy yogurts
      #250792 - 03/08/06 12:47 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know if there are any low sugar soy yogurts out there? I've been buying the Wholesoy yogurts because they are the best I've tasted so far but they have alot of sugar in them - at least 12 to 18 grams per container.

I love yogurt and don't want to give it up, but I don't want all that sugar in there either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Carol

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Looking for low sugar soy yogurts new
      #250800 - 03/08/06 01:24 PM
Carolyn RS

Reged: 02/08/06

I have been on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet for 6 mos. which is amazing as far as controlling the D. It requires that you make your own yogurt which is sugar free and I found that very simple to do. My husband bought mw an electric yogurt maker and I now make my own yogurt.
Good luck
Carolyn RS

#250801 - 03/08/06 01:30 PM
Mikko

Reged: 03/08/06

Is it possible to have an alergic reaction to soy and products made from rice (rice milk, rice cheese). I feel when I eat either of these my IBS gets out of control. Does anyone have any information on rice and soy products or have experienced the same thing?

#250823 - 03/08/06 03:55 PM
southernbelle

Reged: 03/08/06
Loc: Mississippi

Quote:

Is it possible to have an alergic reaction to soy and products made from rice (rice milk, rice cheese). I feel when I eat either of these my IBS gets out of control. Does anyone have any information on rice and soy products or have experienced the same thing?

I know soy for some is an allergic or sensitive food. I think it depends on the individuel (just like some can tolerate eggs, and others cant). I seem to do well with soy.

--------------------
married to the most amazing man!

Why not get plain? new
      #250842 - 03/08/06 04:20 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I always get plain. Note: as soy is a bean, sugars naturally occur. Cow or goat or sheep yogurt has sugar naturally occurring as well--it's called lactose. This is highly problematic (understatement) for IBS.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Why not get plain? new
      #251126 - 03/09/06 12:39 PM
mandm1129

They sell the plain yogurt, but that also has alot of sugar in it.

Carol

#251176 - 03/09/06 02:51 PM
mandm1129

Hi Carolyn,

That sounds great!! What is the brand of the yogurt maker that he bought for you? I'd like to look into that. I thought about making my own, but I didn't know there was a machine that could do it and I also thought it would be extremely difficult. Could you give me the recipe for it as well?

Thanks for the advice,

Carol

#251178 - 03/09/06 02:53 PM
mandm1129

I also do OK with soy, except I noticed that if I consume too much of it I start getting more constipated (I am C).

Carol

#251191 - 03/09/06 04:02 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Soy is a bean--it is impossible to remove all of the carbohydrate from it. Even natural, unsweetened soy milk still has a few grams of carbohydrate in it BECAUSE it is derived from a bean. The yogurt of a mammal would still have sugar or carbohydrate. The form of that sugar is LACTOSE. It is simple to make your own yogurt (bean or mammal hosted) WITHOUT added sugars, but the medium itself, being a bean naturally has a few occurring sugars.

Kate, IBS-D.

#251415 - 03/10/06 12:31 PM
mandm1129

Hi Kate,

I do understand what you are saying and I don't mind a few grams of sugar in the yogurt, but 12 to 18 grams for a small container is way too much for me. I wouldn't mind under 10 grams.

Thanks for the info,

Carol

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 846 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2088

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review