All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
not getting better
      #250384 - 03/07/06 06:36 AM
ibsnotme

Reged: 03/07/06

I've been following the diet for 4 weeks and I'm not getting better. I spasm throughout the night, don't sleep well as a result and have mushy stools almost every morning. My gastro. has me on amitriptyline(been on it 1 week). Tried hyoscamine, didn't work. What am I doing wrong? I've been taking the acacia fiber for 4 weeks-up to 1 tbsp twice a day. Help!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't think 4 weeks is enough time new
      #250385 - 03/07/06 06:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've been at it over a year and still not better. I've heard from others it took over 6 months or in one case (Ms. Bev) it took 3 years! It's hard to keep the faith isn't it?

Are you tried peppermint caps or teas for the spasms? Some people find that helpful...if you don't have GERD/Reflux issues.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I don't think 4 weeks is enough time new
      #250389 - 03/07/06 06:48 AM
ibsnotme

I have tried the peppermint tea. It doesn't seem to help at night. Just wish I could get a good night's sleep!

Give it more time. new
      #250393 - 03/07/06 07:05 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I don't know if you are C or D. But C takes much more time to resolve than 4 weeks. Don't give up. You have a great start!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Give it more time. new
      #250402 - 03/07/06 07:48 AM
ibsnotme

Thanks for the support. I'm D but P predominent.

Pain predominant is a different scenerio. new
      #250405 - 03/07/06 08:03 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'm not familiar with that at all other than the spasms I sometimes have to deal with. I still feel time is the main ingredient. The peppermint caps and tea should work well for you. 4 weeks still isn't very long though. Not in the big picture. Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: not getting better new
      #250421 - 03/07/06 08:45 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm also IBS-D w/ pain. For mushy stools, I recommend taking 1/2 - 1 Imodium caplet after dinner. That shouldn't make you constipated and will help give you more formed stools. You can take another 1/2 to 1 caplet in the morning if your stool is still mushy or a regular dose if you have an attack in the morning.

I also drink a cup of strong peppermint tea (not sure what brand you're using - Heather's is strong - but for other brands I'd double the tea bags) in the evenings when I'm cramping. Try a cup before you go to bed. Or, if you have GERD, try a strong cup of chamomile tea before bed.

You should also try using a heat pad at night - I use the disposable heat patches. In my experience, the tea and heat patches have worked better for the cramping than the antispasmodics.

It can take up to a month for you to notice any effect from the amitriptyline.

How fast did you increase your dose of acacia? Sometimes increasing it too fast can give you some discomfort and it can take a week or so to adjust to the dose.

HTH!

Edited by Maria! Maria! (03/07/06 09:42 AM)

Re: not getting better new
      #250448 - 03/07/06 09:38 AM
ibsnotme

I've been increasing the acacia for over a month. I'll try the imodium at night. Thanks for the advise-trying not to lose my mind from lack of sleep!

Re: not getting better
      #250478 - 03/07/06 10:49 AM
beachdreamer

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: New York State

Hi,
You might want to try a relaxation style of yoga before bedtime followed by a warm bath. Heather's diet really does help, and finding out about Acacia has been a godsend for me. I would also add in a probiotic if you are not already taking one. Adding a probiotic along with the acacia has really helped me. Yoga helps me too, when I'm not too tired to excercise. I have a video called Candlelight Yoga put out by AnchorBay. The back of the box says "the emphasis on breathing and meditation will help you feel recharged and renewed - it may even help you sleep better".

You might also want to think about what else may be troubling you. In my case, as if IBS-d wasn't enough, dinner time was a mad free-for-all at my house. My kids wouldn't eat what I made, my oldest was always rushing in or out, my husband worked late 2 days a week, and money was a big issue. I was at the point where I couldn't eat until the house was quiet, even if it was 11 pm!!

I guess the point I'm trying to make is to give the diet a chance, find a good relaxation yoga dvd or video, add a probiotic and attack the problems you can solve. Do one thing each day just because it makes YOU feel better. I hope you feel better and sleep better soon.

Regards,

Barbara

Re: not getting better
      #250484 - 03/07/06 10:59 AM
beachdreamer

Reged: 02/27/05
Loc: New York State

Just a quick mention. You might want to try Heather's tips for what to eat when you can't eat anything. Pg 22-23 of her Eating for IBS book. You really need to break the cycle of spasms and lack of sleep, and might want to try to limit your food choices for a day. Hope this helps.

Barbara

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1599 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2688

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review