All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Instant Oatmeal?
      #250170 - 03/05/06 05:06 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

I've been wondering - I looked at the ingredients on some packets of instant oatmeal (the Quaker brand), and it seems like they're safe, ingredient-wise. Why can't we eat them? It seems like the easiest idea for taking to work. Thanks for helping a confused person!

Also - has anyone else discovered www.divvies.com or www.bethennybakes.com? Both are completely trigger-free - although the divvies cookies can be a bit high-fat. Both deliver, but I have to admit I don't know how far afield from their native New York they go.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Instant Oatmeal? new
      #250174 - 03/05/06 05:37 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've been eating instant oatmeal everyday. Are we not supposed to?
I find it very easy to bring with me to school since we can get hot water for free. Also nice to add some strawberries with it.
I haven't had any bad reactions to it (although I tolerate quite a bit more than some), so I think I'll keep eating it. Have you not done well after eating some?
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Hmmm... new
      #250181 - 03/05/06 07:57 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

As far as I know, oatmeal is completely safe. In fact, Heather lists it as one of those safe foods to eat when you can't eat anything else. It's totally soluble fiber.

That said, I vaguely remember some people saying they can't handle oatmeal, but I think that may be for different reasons. I'd make sure there's no hfhs in the sweetened, fancy stuff, but oatmeal is a soluble fiber and should be completely safe.

#250188 - 03/05/06 09:15 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Oatmeal is totally okay for most people with IBS...in fact, it is one of the best and easiest sources of SF you can find...but it can be problematic for some people, because it may cause a bit of gas and bloating, but everyone's body is different. Also, some people say that the whole or steel cut oats are healthier because of their lower Glycemic Index, and because they may have all kinds of artificial ingredients. Personally, I can tolerate the instant stuff a whole lot easier than whole oats, so I just buy the unsweetened brands and add a little fruit and soymilk. Its really good for those winter mornings...I say, go for it and see for yourself.

--------------------
Julia

#250349 - 03/06/06 08:28 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I eat the Quaker Instant Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal and I've never had a problem w/ it. In fact, on days when I can't eat anything else, I can have oatmeal.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#250670 - 03/07/06 06:50 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Thanks for your responses...I tolerate oatmeal pretty well (the old-fashioned stove-top kind), but I remembered reading somewhere that we weren't supposed to eat instant. Perhaps I'm imagining things...And if I can have instant, I'm happy.

#252905 - 03/18/06 10:59 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Is it possible some people may have an intolerance to Oatmeal if eaten too often?

For instance, every morning at breakfast I eat Oat Bran with applesauce.
I usually also will have an instant oatmeal in addition.

Later on in the evening, I also will make myself some more Oat Bran and applesauce or instant oatmeal.

So, I have anywhere from 2-4, usually 2-3, of Oat Bran with Applesauce and Instant Oatmeal per day.

I notice when I have Oat Bran and Applesauce in the morning, I feel a nice urge to go shortly.
At the same time, sometimes, particulalry at night, when I have Oat Bran with Applesauce or Instant Oatmeal again I feel dry.

This happened last night.
I was doing fine, then I made my second bowl of Instant Oatmeal for the day.
I also had earlier Oat Bran with applesauce.
I went from feeling fine to feeling dry.
I don't know if this indicates an overdose.
I really don't understand how good foods like Oatmeal can backfire, this is what drives me nuts with IBS.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#252963 - 03/18/06 03:48 PM
Draupadi

Reged: 07/16/05
Loc: Santa Cruz, California

Hmmm...there's quite a difference in the fiber content of oat bran vs. oatmeal...last time I had oat bran, I had a terrible reaction. It could just be that the oat bran has a bit too much IF for you to be eating it twice a day...just a thought.

But I know sometimes the foods that seem to soothe me sometimes totally kill me at other times. IBS is so wierd!

--------------------
Julia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 961 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1084

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review