All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
sweets allowed on an ibs regime
      #249566 - 03/01/06 04:07 PM
jacquie

Reged: 03/01/06

I have just been giving a row from my hypnotherapist after my third visit. He has analysed my food diary and said it is abysmal. Full of junk food, chinese, indians, fat, sweets etc. And no wonder I have constant uncontrollable diarrhea. Are there any sweets that I can eat in moderation, if I desperately need one, that will fit in with the ibs regime I am now following from your books

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sweets allowed on an ibs regime new
      #249583 - 03/01/06 04:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have a feeling you don't mean things one can bake like lowfat brownies. You can have sweets on this diet as long as they are dairy free and low in fat. There are lots of candies that fit that description. There are also cookies etc in the natural foods section that are safe. Junior mints are ok. Sorbet and soy ice cream are ok. Sugary cereals may be safe. Occasional pieces of dark chocolate are tolerated by many. There are tons of desserts that can be easily baked but not too often can you find anything premade that is safe, except angel food cake.
First of all though you should follow the strict break the cycle diet to stabilize yourself.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#249590 - 03/01/06 05:11 PM
Lummi Beader

Reged: 08/25/05
Loc: Bellingham, WA

I totally agree with Little Minnie, especially the "break the cycle" part of Heather's diet. That is a very important first step.

I was at a loss of what I could carry and easily snack on and of course at that point I was having to make sure that any food I ate served dual purposes. Recently I found some quaint little candies that are offered through our new little tea shop locally, but think you could find them at a local India Food Store. They are called candy coated fennel seeds. They taste like little candy coated licorace. The dual purpose was that not only did they give a candy break but they also aided in IBS. Heather also recommends a tea specially made for those of us with this IBS, if you look in the section for the teas.

Another suggestion I found that gave me a sweet treat, was frosted cheerios. I was eating my cream of rice breakfast and noticed the box of cheerios on the table. In the center of the box were some big bold words that said: great source of soluable fiber!!! What to my surprise. I immediately grabbed the box and my glasses and read the entire box. I tried a few hand fulls and no problems. Now I carry a small bag of them in my purse and when I need a snack I eat a few handfuls. I tried froot loops but they did not seem the same.

I hope you don't mind my saying so but your hypnotherapist should be more considerate of the fact that you have IBS, instead of telling you the negative in your diet. People have often tried to spout off all the negative in things I do and I always nicely ask them this: now that you have told me the down side would you like to make some positive suggestions???? But that is just a thought.

I hope you find relief and peace soon,

--------------------
Honor the Creator... Seek peace!!!

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

#249748 - 03/02/06 03:02 PM
jacquie

Reged: 03/01/06

thanks for your replies, i luv the little liquorecy things that you get in an indian restaurant. i will just go and find where to get them. i really like liquorice. does this mean that it is ok to eat. im a coeliac as well as having diarrhea predominant ibs. you can tell im new to this self management stuff.

regards

#249782 - 03/02/06 05:43 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

So what all are safe things to bake other than angel food cake? I love chocolate chip cookies, ginger snaps, and white cakes.. any way to make these safe? Soy or cow milk aren't really an option..

#249794 - 03/02/06 09:50 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Oh man have you checked out the recipes on this site and Heather's books for sweet treats? There are some great things to bake. I love the Chocolate Cake for One and the Zucchini bread but thats just to name a few. Print out a few things and have a baking day. Freeze in small portions and be sure to balance your foods, as is true with any healthy diet. Enjoy!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 531 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 936

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review