All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
has anyone been able to stop taking their prescriptions with diet change?
      #248826 - 02/26/06 08:13 PM
sarah2230

Reged: 02/07/06
Loc: NJ

I am really curious if anyone has found that with a diet and lifestyle change that they no longer need to rely on prescriptions to manage their ibs symtoms. I have been eating the IBS diet for a few months and have felt incredibly better...I am hoping that one day I will not have to take my prescription anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: has anyone been able to stop taking their prescriptions with diet change? new
      #248829 - 02/26/06 08:26 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

The only thing I take anymore is Immodium as needed and I feel quite stable. I never found a prescription that worked for me.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: has anyone been able to stop taking their prescriptions with diet change? new
      #248833 - 02/26/06 09:12 PM
EvilCats

Reged: 02/24/05

A few years back I used to try to take Immodium, fibre supplements and a few other over-the-counter things which I thought would help me but they never did.

To be honest, I haven't followed the IBS diet as well as I could've. I eat a lot of red meat and bacon. Occasionally I will eat junk food that does not agree with me, but usually leave it to a Friday night just in case.

Two years ago, my stomach was constantly bothering me and hardly a moment went by where I wasn't reminded that I had IBS. I would probably have one "good" day per week back then.

Now I will usually only have a really crappy day (pardon the pun!) once or twice a month. I also exercise regularly, so my appetite and overall diet has improved - perhaps this is why my stomach is better?

When I have a bad day, I remind myself that even before I had IBS there were days where my stomach would just disagree with me once in a while.

It is definitely not perfect, but when I think back to how bad things were before, I am very grateful. I think that it is quite possible that you will be able to gain prescription-free stablility by changing your diet - but expect some trial and error. Don't be discouraged if you get sick the first few days after you stop taking your medicine - it could just be bad luck, or your diet may require small modification (e.g. for me soy = bad).

Good luck to you!

Warm regards,
EvilCats

I haven't been on a prescription for over 3 years... new
      #248840 - 02/27/06 05:10 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I am stable and it has been due to knowing and respecting my triggers, keeping peace in my life and not allowing IBS to "own" me.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#248841 - 02/27/06 05:26 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I have only used my antispasmodic twice. The supplements and diet change prevent me from using prescription meds on a regular basis. My gyn recently placed me on 10mg of fluoxitine for PMS, and it is also helping my IBS, but that is not why it was originally prescribed. I don't plan on taking it indefinately either. Hoping you are also able to stabilize to the point of not needing the meds either.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#248843 - 02/27/06 05:39 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I have hyocyamine (low dose) that I take when I am on antibiotics or eat something I KNOW will set me off, otherwise as long as I stick to the diet I am fine for the most part.. I also keep lots of gas-x and immodium on hand but I don't always use it!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#248862 - 02/27/06 07:26 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I still take my fiber supplements and take Phayzym or Gas-X as needed, but I haven't had to take a Levsin for over two months. And the last time I took one, it was more of a preventative measure than a necessity.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1798 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 849

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review