All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone tried bentyl
      #247641 - 02/21/06 01:33 PM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

My doc put me on bentyl today and it is supposed to be for IBS has anyone else tried it yet?

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone tried bentyl new
      #247668 - 02/21/06 03:36 PM
cardshark

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Phx, AZ

Well, I hope this gets posted. Lately I have noticed that after I post, my posts just disappear! Frustrating after spending time to reply,etc.

Anyway, I was put on bentyl about 3 weeks ago. Bentyl is a commonly prescribed anti-spasmodic to slow down the gut and stop the colon spasms. It was working (a little). It made me super-drowsy and caused dizziness and dry eyes/skin. I had to go back to my doc when I started breaking out in major hives at the end of the day (build up of the meds.). I was allergic to bentyl (I guess it is common to have allergies to this, as I do not have any other allergies). I was put on hyoscyamine which is often called Levbid. It actually works much better- it keep my tummy more stable, no break-outs, etc., and I only have to take it 2X a day (delayed release).

But, I am sure that others have been successful on this...that is just my take. I would say that if you experience too much dizziness, etc., to try hyoscamine instead b/c it is so much better (for me at least) in that department.

--------------------

*Janice*

"Where there is love there is life."

-Mahatma Gandhi

#247679 - 02/21/06 04:29 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I tried Bentyl about 6-7 months ago. I had a lot of side effects from it, namely extreme dry mouth, dizziness, drowsiness and a feeling like I was sort of "out of body." Basically, I felt drugged. However, it did work for me, but only for about 2 weeks. It seemed to lose its efficacy for me after that. Give it whirl...it can't hurt! Good luck!

#247682 - 02/21/06 04:37 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

You might've already tried this, but have you tried searching on this? You'll definitely get lots of hits... Bentyl gets discussed fairly often. HTH

#247842 - 02/22/06 11:08 AM
Nisha

Reged: 01/23/06

Hi,

I was on bentyl last week...I got a bad IBS-D attack after 2 years...i think bentyl and chamomile tea stopped it...I used to have 1-3 per day...I am quite stable now...I stopped all medicines..I think chamomile tea is giving me slight allergies...like headache etc...

Nisha

Bentyl didn't do much for me, I'm IBS-D and I noticed no real affect new
      #247873 - 02/22/06 12:09 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

but I have a prescription for Donnatal now and that does help. It does contain phenobarbitol so I don't use it very often.

Sandy

#247887 - 02/22/06 12:38 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

I have been on Bentyl for over a year now. I do not need it everyday, in fact he gave me a rx for 100 pills and probably have only used 5! I find it no help. I usually go with immodium and I am set.

#247905 - 02/22/06 02:45 PM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

Hi, I tried bentyl. I got an itchy chest, no rash, but always itchy. It didn't help me with the IBS-C. Diane

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Quite a trip... new
      #247941 - 02/22/06 04:30 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I also use Bentyl and it's helped me a lot. I was originally prescribed the 10 mg dosage, which helped calm my tummy but didn't do a ton when I was in the throes of an attack. So my doc gave me the 20 mg pills, which are a lot more effective, but as others have said have horrible side effects! Whoever said they gave them an "out of body experience" was right on! So now I take the smaller 10 mg dosage if I'm feeling iffy or am afraid something will bother me, but if I start to have an attack and have nowhere to go I take the 20 mg big guns. Then it doesn't matter if I get trippy, lol. That seems to work out well for me.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 672 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2373

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review