All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Calling All IBS- "C's"
      #247602 - 02/21/06 11:13 AM
Robgrey

Reged: 04/19/05
Loc: Philadelphia, PA

I am also a "C". I have been following the "diet" for about a year now. I have had three weeks [in that year](not in a row) where I had a BM every day for five or six days in a row!
I consider it nothing short of a miracle. What a thing to be so excited about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I battle it every day. I drink a lot of water with acacia.
Triggers for me: alcohol, choclate. I still have not found
the "secret" to making my gut work every day... I just keep thanking God for the good days, and I also realize that I have been like this for 48 years of my life. ( I remember being constipated as a child.) So, I figure it may take me a several years to "train" my gut. I thank God for this website and Heather.
I do get frustrated sometimes though. Sometimes I am child-like and get really mad when I can't eat or drink what I want and go ahead and do it anyway...knowing tomorrow will be a bad day. I also still have to take Cascara Sagrada (herbal supplement)-- one a day to help me stay regular.
A big improvement over the years when I had to take 4 or 5 a day... I hope to wean myself off completely at some point.
Well, I completely understand everyone's anxiety and frustration with "C". Thanks for letting me vent.

Robin.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Totally with you, unfortunately for both of us!-nt new
      #247610 - 02/21/06 11:33 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I thought I was the only C who's been at this for longer than a year without improvement.

what makes you stick with this diet plan? Don't you ever think maybe it won't work for some of us?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Calling All IBS- "C's" new
      #247629 - 02/21/06 12:40 PM
penpal

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Pacific Northwest

I know what you mean about eating things I know I "shouldn't". Sometimes it's very frustrating not to just be able to eat like everyone else. Heather's tips have helped me too. Especially the advice to eat the soluble fiber foods first at each meal. I now start the day with oatmeal and I have increased to soluble fiber in my diet. I also cook my veggies to death (I used to like them crunchy and barely cooked) as I find them easier to digest this way. I also eat only soft canned fruit or applesauce. I'm fairly careful but I never know when something is going to start off a bad episode. I'm glad to hear you've found some relief.

--------------------
Penny

Are you stable, penpal? new
      #247630 - 02/21/06 12:43 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I know your a C...so I was surprised you only do canned fruits. They don't have much, if any fiber in them. Are you still "going" with all this SF and the canned fruit? Are you doing white bread only too? And only white rices?

I've been trying baked apples with some peels on them...and blueberries and unpeeled nectarines and also strawberries!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Are you stable, penpal? new
      #247661 - 02/21/06 03:01 PM
penpal

I hate to jinx it by saying I'm stable (because I've recently had a bad time) but have been feeling better the last week or so.

As I mentioned, the "new" thing I'm doing is eating oatmeal for breakfast every day. I get lots of fiber from root veggies such as yam, potato, celeriac, carrots, parsnips and yucca root. I also put ground flax seed on my oatmeal and that has a lot of fiber. I have started eating apples with the skin on, but I core and slice them and microwave for 30 seconds. This softens them up without totally cooking them. I love to have these apple slices dipped in a tablespoon of tahini (made from sesame seeds and tastes a bit like almond butter) for a snack.

I like using the Dole fruit packs in light juice because they are portioned out (I'm watching my calories) and they come in a variety of fruits. They are nice and soft and don't seem to aggravate me.

I don't believe it makes any difference to the fiber content as to whether a fruit or vegetable is cooked until soft. I seem to do better when I have things well cooked. What really sets me off is if I have a lot of salad or raw veggies. I can eat small portions of chicken or turkey and fish. Ground beef seems to be ok in small quantities (maybe because it's already "chewed"). I cannot eat steak, pork or veal as these cause major problems.

Oh, and I've also been using Beano (2 before and 2 after each meal) so maybe that's helping too as it has digestive enzymes that help digest veggies and beans.

--------------------
Penny

Re: Are you stable, penpal? new
      #247662 - 02/21/06 03:19 PM
penpal

Quote:

Are you still "going" with all this SF and the canned fruit? Are you doing white bread only too? And only white rices?

I forgot to answer about the bread and rice. Now that I'm having the oatmeal for breakfast I've stopped eating my slice of toast (sprouted 20 grain). So basically, I'm not eating bread right now. I've never liked white bread (unless it's a French baguette!) I do eat white rice when we go out for Thai or sushi. I make sure to eat the rice first before the rest of the meal. I only eat about 1/2 a cup of rice because it's so high in calories.

--------------------
Penny

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7487 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1087

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review