All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
garlic
      #247458 - 02/20/06 02:53 PM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

does garlic cause anyone to experience upper GI discomfort? i can tolerate small amounts, but if i eat raw garlic i feel that my meals lay on me and i wind up burping all night. last night i accidentally ate some garlic and i was up all night with a tight nauseous feeling and still have a little bit of it today.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: garlic new
      #247484 - 02/20/06 04:55 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

I'm the same way. I don't use anything but a little garlic powder here and there because I get the same way. The tightness and burping definitely happen to me if I eat garlic, and I know how it can last well into the next day. So you are not alone! I really avoid chunks of garlic and raw garlic at all costs; maybe I appear paranoid, but the discomfort is just not worth it to me.

hope I helped a little...just know you're not alone!

Amber

yep... new
      #247487 - 02/20/06 05:03 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yep, Heather talks about garlic on this page (scroll down to the bottom, under "Sulfur-containing foods"):

Quote:

Sulfur-containing foods (garlic, onions, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, asparagus, and Brussels sprouts), in addition to their high amounts of insoluble fiber, also produce significant gas in the GI tract and this can trigger attacks. As with all other fruits and veggies, however, these are extremely nutritious foods with significant health benefits, so they need to be treated with caution but definitely not eliminated from your diet.

Re: garlic new
      #247547 - 02/21/06 08:06 AM
Sidewalker

Reged: 01/04/05

yeah - thanks. i can tolerate small amounts as well (if its cooked) but the raw chunks are problematic. i don't think its necessarily the sulfur since i never get the reaction from broccoli or onions.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7111 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 560

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review