All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can an empty stomach trigger an attack?
      #247266 - 02/19/06 03:55 PM
DWS

Reged: 01/10/06

I've been battling a head cold lately and have a fair amount of congestion and no appetite. A couple of times in the past few days I've had attacks come up "out of the blue". In the past I've only had attacks after I've eaten something. But both of these times it has happened on an empty stomach. I'm wondering if letting our stomachs run on empty for too long is also dangerous?

David

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yes, it can! new
      #247267 - 02/19/06 04:08 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Every once in awhile, I kinda forget that. Then it dawns on me that the reason I'm not feeling well is because I've not eaten in X hours. My hunger signal doesn't work most of the time, so hence, it is important to eat every few hours.

Re: Can an empty stomach trigger an attack? new
      #247328 - 02/20/06 04:40 AM
Johana3

Reged: 02/15/06
Loc: Puerto Rico

last week i need to have some labs and cant eat , that day i have a big attack, the same happens again this weekend when i dont eat my brekfast , i dont even want to remember it, so i must say that yes for me be stomach empty is not a good idea

--------------------
Thanks God for the new Day .

#247330 - 02/20/06 04:44 AM
ribena

Reged: 01/17/06

Ive just had a cold and didn't eat properly for a couple of days and got a bad attack that lasted a couple of days.

Definitely! new
      #247336 - 02/20/06 05:20 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

When I get too hungry I get horrible spasms, even nibbling on crackers or rice cakes helps to stop it immediately.

--------------------
S.

#247345 - 02/20/06 06:03 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I have an attack only if I get too hungry and then eat anything other than soluble fiber, but it sounds like I'm odd man out there. One other thing to consider, though, is whether you're taking anything for your cold. Some OTC cold medicines have artifical sweeteners in them and that just kills me, especially on an empty stomach.

Hope you're feeling better.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I'm with you Snorkie... new
      #247349 - 02/20/06 06:56 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

ever since this IBS acted up, my appetite has not been the same. So if I go too long without eating, I'll get nasous. Or, if my appetite kicks in & I don't eat, I'll get nasous & rumbly tummy. So I try to keep something on me at all times. I hear my appetite calling right now...

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Absolutely, for me! new
      #247423 - 02/20/06 12:20 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I think my tummy gets too many "gaps" if there isn't food regularily, i.e. at more or less the same times everyday. I experience a gigantic "flushing" kind of attack.

The gastrocolic reflex has rhythms, I think, that are "timed" or choreographed based on food timing, quantity, type of food or combinations, etc.

I KNOW that if I don't consume any fiber I am highly attack vulnerable. I know that fasting can trigger an "evacuation" or watery D.

Kate, IBS-D.

#247503 - 02/20/06 05:42 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

An empmty stomach can trigger it and the "act of eating" can trigger it and not eating regularly can trigger it.

When you don't eat much and then eat a bigger meal because your hungry, can stress the system and be a trigger.

as well as some individual foods.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4506 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1184

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review