All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is Dried Fruit Dangerous?
      #246653 - 02/16/06 05:00 AM
cardshark

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Phx, AZ

I have been reading a lot about sulfites and sulfiting agents as preservatives lately. They are considered a trigger for IBS, along with MSG. I bought some dried mango the other day and had never bothered to read the package--figured it was just dried fruit and sugar! I had an attack later the night I ate it, and when I went back over what I ate, I realized by looking at package ingredients
that many of the snacks I ate that day had "sulfiting agents" or "sulfar"--which in itself sounds really bad! I can usually have an alcoholic drink every once in a while when I am stable, but wine has been bothering me lately--for the same reason. Most wine has sulfites in it as well for a preservative. Has anyone else experienced this with dried fruit? I am throwing mine out!

--------------------

*Janice*

"Where there is love there is life."

-Mahatma Gandhi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I dry my own.. new
      #246660 - 02/16/06 06:21 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

sulfites are nasty adn deadly for our sugar gliders and they eat as much of the dried fruits as I do if not more... dried fruit is also high in fructose so without a buffer not the greastest for IBS... though I seem to do ok with dried apples and mangoes due to SF content

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I'm too scared to try it new
      #246666 - 02/16/06 06:48 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

becomes 1) the sulfur (and I have also read it can be a trigger for IBS) and 2) dried fruit has high concentrations of fructose since a small piece contains the same as a whole fresh piece.

I've even been afraid to add some basalmic vinegars that list sulfites added as a preservative. Are you okay with these other sulfite containing products?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review