Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
very new to this and a question
      #246426 - 02/15/06 04:43 AM
Johana3

Reged: 02/15/06
Loc: Puerto Rico

hi:
im new in this word of IBS-D, im from Puerto Rico( the carribean) my english is not the best, but i try to do my best lol. my problems start 3 months after i have my litle girl 3 years ago. the doctor take out my gallblader and the show start, go to lots of doctor and finally one tell me i have ibs.

did any here start with ibs after they have out the gallblader?

thanks to all the wonderfull people how post to show other how they can feel better,
Johana

--------------------
Thanks God for the new Day .

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: very new to this and a question new
      #246440 - 02/15/06 06:20 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Hi and welcome.

I haven't had my gallbladder out but one of my husband's relatives have and her problems started then. The symptoms are very similar to IBS. She lives on Immodium. I know there is medication doctors prescribe for those who have their gallbladder removed. I'm sure you will get some replies from those folks.

Sandy

#246445 - 02/15/06 06:47 AM
Johana3

thanks for reply:
is so difficult to live with so much gas and stomach pains and the D . im incrementing my fiber intake, and feeling a litle blotted but as i read here it should pass lol. im here reading all i can,right now i cant buy the products here( tight budget), but as soon as i can i will try to buy the books so i can learn more. i buy some pepeermint tea and help me some. i search for fennel seeds her but at this point not luck, but im still looking for it in my supermarkets.

thanks,
carmen

--------------------

Johana/gallbladder removal new
      #246456 - 02/15/06 07:40 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Johana and welcome!

Here's the thing: IBS that starts out right after having your gallbladder removed might not be IBS

Heather addresses this in a newsletter from July 2004, but here is the basic idea (boldface represents my emphasis):

Quote:

One of two scenarios is likely here: 1) you don't actually have IBS at all, but chronic diarrhea stemming from the effects of the gallbladder removal itself; 2) the gallbladder surgery traumatized the enteric nervous system of your gut and led directly to your development of IBS. Let's take each of the possibilities (neither one a happy outcome, I'm sorry to say) in turn.

If your symptoms are constant and urgent diarrhea, particularly without abdominal pain, and began immediately after you had your gallbladder or ileum (the last portion of the small intestine) removed, you could be suffering from a malabsorption of bile acids secreted by the liver. These acids, which are normally stored in the gallbladder, are now instead being dumped directly into the small intestines, causing chronic irritation and thus chronic diarrhea. This is a fairly common outcome following gallbladder surgery, though unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a side effect that patients are warned about in advance, nor do all GI doctors seem to be aware of the cause-and-effect that's at play here.

If your diarrhea does stem from bile acid malabsorption, a prescription drug such as Questran (generic name cholestyramine), which binds the bile acids in the intestines and prevents them from reaching the colon, can help this problem and should resolve your diarrhea quite quickly and effectively. The bad news is you'll probably have to take the drug for the rest of your life. The good news is you don't have IBS. As an aside, though, you'll probably find it helpful to follow the low fat, high soluble fiber guidelines of the IBS diet, as fat stimulates bile production and that can exacerbate your diarrhea, while soluble fiber helps absorb and bind bile in the GI tract and aids in its removal from the body.

On the other hand, it's also a very reasonable possibility that the abdominal surgery itself did in fact lead to the development of IBS. Your body may have no problems adjusting to your missing gallbladder or bile acid malabsorption; instead, you might now have a dysfunction of your gut's nervous system. Though no one clearly understands precisely what causes someone to develp IBS, there is mounting evidence that for some people the condition is precipitated by some type of grievous insult to the gut - dysentery, food poisoning, intestinal flu, abdominal surgery, or even pregnancy. Surgical removal of your gallbladder would certainly qualify as an insult to your gut.

This theory goes that even after full physical recovery from the traumatic event to your GI tract, the nerves within the gut retain a "memory" of the insult and remain hyper-sensitive to further stimulation, as well as prone to subsequent over-reaction. So, even though you may have recovered completely from the actual gallbladder removal and abdominal surgery, you could now be left with a permanently malfunctioning enteric nervous system, in the form of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

If you've really been unfortunate, you could actually be suffering from both problems: bile malabsorption and IBS. There is a bright side, though, as a drug like Questran will seriously minimize the diarrhea you have from the bile acid irritation. And, the many different diet and lifestyle management strategies for IBS will help tremendously to get your other symptoms under control. You're probably at the worst point of the problem right now if you're just learning about what actually happened to you - from here on out, things should only get better!

Since you say that you DO have bloating and abdominal pain, I think the second scenario there (that you probably do have IBS as a result of an "insult to the gut" from the gallbladder removal surgery) is more likely, but you should also probably talk to your doctor if possible!

Hope that helps!

#246479 - 02/15/06 08:47 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

If you can't purchase the books etc. right now this website (not just the chat boards) offers so much information to get you off to a good start controlling your D. I started right away from the info on this site and my D cleared up really fast, like 3 days. The other symptoms and finding my attack triggers took a little longer. Good luck and hope you find the same relief I did.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#246488 - 02/15/06 09:19 AM
Johana3

Thanks so much i will read as much as i can right now

--------------------

Re: Johana/gallbladder removal new
      #246491 - 02/15/06 09:29 AM
Johana3

thanks so much for the answer, the doctor already tell me this week after lots of exams lotsssssssssssss, that is not the first one. he tell me that other than tell me to eat fiber he cant help me more, that eats lots of whole wheat and low fat dairies,( the no- nos here) . i donr want to do that couse i want to eat vegetarian most vegan,. but if i have milk i will die from pain so he is not helping me so much .

im always with lots of gasses, bloated, with nausea from gases and lots of pain for sure. this week i start to take fiber is cutting my D, but give me some more gases, like the ones already are not enought LOL. im very happy you answer, i read a lots of your post and you are super cool.

im happy that now i have a place with people that understand my situation.

--------------------

Re: Johana/gallbladder removal new
      #246620 - 02/15/06 05:06 PM
retrograde

Well we're certainly happy to have you!

I'm glad you've already confirmed that it is IBS for sure and not complications from the gallbladder surgery. That makes things easier!

Obviously, DON'T listen to your doctor's diet recommendations Unfortuantely doctors are taught very little accurate info about IBS and diet. Seriously stay away from dairy - it's one of the worst triggers for most people (plus you don't need cow juice anyway... ).

I agree with Franny: you don't necessarily need to buy the books - there is soooo much great info on this site. Read all of it if you can. Start by clicking on "IBS Diet and Recipes" to the left there and reading all that. Then click on "IBS Books" and read that chapters that Heather has available for free there. Then move on to "IBS Supplements" and read through all that. ... well you get the point Make sure that you especially understand the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber! (which your doctor clearly doesn't if he told you to eat whole wheat! )

What kind of fiber supplement are you taking right now? What dosage did you start at? With fiber supplements you have to start at a low dose to help your body adjust to it.

FYI, I'm a vegetarian and I eat mostly vegan too. (I'd be totally vegan but I do have egg whites occasionally.) It's really quite easy to eat vegetarian and vegan with IBS since most of the IBS safe foods are already vegetarian/vegan and (I think) it's probably the healthiest way for a person with IBS to eat.

thanks Retrograde new
      #246916 - 02/17/06 06:00 AM
Johana3

A few moths ago i decide be vegetarian-vegan couse the only thing i still eat too is the egg whites. i decide that couse i think is the better way to eat this days ( my personal opinion), so im new in two things now: vegetarian and IBS LOL).

i start taking this last week:
a calcium suplement( couse i read is good for D)
teas of chamomile and pepermint, i cant find here in my town the feenel teas or seeds )
i starting taking Konsil fibber but even the litle dosis give me lots of cramps and bloated. so i buy a litle benefiber botle and thats is much better.
i have a botle of acidophilus of nature made company i think i will start to take it today too. i found too that if i have a pattern or a rutine of eating i feel better, but if i skip one meal my stomach get crazy.

can you give me some advice? low cost vegan-vegetarian recipes or recipe sites?
im all ears

thakns again for all your help,
J

--------------------

Re: thanks Retrograde new
      #246938 - 02/17/06 07:19 AM
retrograde

Everything you're doing sounds fantastic I also find that sticking to a routine of eating is best for my stomach... my stomach does NOT like it when I skip meals, that's for sure!

For vegan and vegetarian recipes, my two favourite sites (both of which have TONS of recipes!) are:
Fat Free Vegan Recipes, and
The Low Fat Vegetarian Recipe Archive

Both sites focus only on low fat food, and since it's vegan (the first one is all vegan, the second one is about half vegan), there's little or no use of dairy products or meat. So you really just have to watch for your own triggers and the amount of IF in each recipe, but by and large most of these recipes are already totally safe!

My only advice though would be, in the beginning, while you're still trying to stabilize, to keep it simple. Choose recipes that don't have too many ingredients or aren't too complicated - that way you know that if something triggers your IBS it won't be too tough to figure out what it is. Also, in the beginning I stayed away from processed/packaged foods as much as I could (not 100% but as much as I could) - just because you can never really know what's in there/what's been done to them etc. I basically made all my own food (as much as I could) and that seemed to help so much. And, lastly, just make sure you're not eating too much at each sitting - space out your meals. This is a tough one for me, especially if I make a delicious fat free vegan meal for me and my partner, I just want to eat so much of it because it's so tasty! Usually I force myself to have one helping at dinner then another helping a few hours later after my stomach has had a chance to settle a bit.

HTH!

Re: thanks Retrograde new
      #247031 - 02/17/06 06:21 PM
Johana3

thanks a lot for the answers, so much to read here oh my God. i hope that here i can find help for my problems, couse this really are so bad, good that here the other undertans couse have the same problem.
i will go ans look at the sites, thanks a lot,
Johana

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1609 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1771

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review