All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lomotil or Immodium Users
      #246190 - 02/14/06 08:53 AM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

I have taken lomotil for many years when I was basically IBS C and still later when diagnosed with diverticulosis.

During a recent bout of constipation I stopped the lomotil all together. That seemed to bother me more with cramping and spasms. On checking with a doctor on the net, AllExperts.com and then with my own physician was advised that because of long usage and the fact of it is a narcotic base stopping completely can put your system out of whack so to speak. Better to reduce only.

Anyone with similar experience? While I use lomotil Immodium can cause similar results according to both physicians.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Imodium user here :) new
      #246341 - 02/14/06 03:49 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I've used Imodium for the last 15+ years and have not developed a tolerance or addiction to it. I discontinue its use for a period of time, usually 3 weeks, when I either run out or become stable. It's never caused me any withdrawal symptoms which has me wonder if the medical possibility of becoming addicted is really a possibility at all.

Imodium reacts with anal opiod receptors but does not release dopamine into the system like narcotics which react with brain opiod receptors. While narcotics also pull water from the intestines, this is not their primary function; Imodium's primary function seems to be exactly the opposite-- the pulling of water from the intestines and not the release of dopamine.

I take 240 loperamide 2mg (Imodium) a month, supplemented by 40+ OTC Imodium advanced (loperamide plus simethicone). I have never gotten "high" from Imodium or even sleepy.

Sorry I can't be of help with this theory. I occasionally hear it from an uninformed pharmacist who can't tell me where he's heard it. The last time I heard it was from a med student who'd extrapolated it from something he'd read about opiates. He'd lumped all opiod receptors into one category and was getting confused why he couldn't get high from OTC Imodium.

~nelly~ Empirical researcher number 487

Re: Lomotil or Immodium Users new
      #246342 - 02/14/06 04:02 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I take both but only as needed. Sometimes that's a few times a week. I'm a D though and I take it to stop an attack or so I won't go as much.

I didn't know Lomotil was used for C at all. If you have difficulty with spasms has your doctor ever prescribed an anti spasmoditc like Bentyl or Donnatol?

sorry I'm not more help!
Sandy

Re: Lomotil or Immodium Users new
      #246483 - 02/15/06 09:11 AM
ArtKen

Just a note to add. I has asked docor on the AllExperts. net if stopping lomotil coild be part of problem of the spasms, etc.

His reply is pasted below;

that is true... colons can become dependent on lomotil and people may get some diarrhea or cramps if stopping it quickly, but it is such a mild one, that the symptoms would be mild. You also have to be concerned about timing... if you take Lactulose , you might not absorb it as well as you normally would... But, overall, Lomotil is a pretty mild drug, but not something you should take along with diverticulosis.... probably just increased fiber and avoiding foods that aggravate the IBS.

Immodium can also be habit forming if taken for a long time but it has far less of narcotic base.

How long is a long time? new
      #246778 - 02/16/06 12:12 PM
Nelly

I haven't noticed any withdrawl and I've taken between 240 and 280 a month for years, stopping for 3 weeks at a time with no side effects. What kind of addiction is he talking about? Does he mean that one needs to take more to acheive the same effects, or that it can be habit-forming to the point of giving withdrawl symptoms when discontinued? I haven't notices any of that.

~nelly~

Re: How long is a long time? new
      #246826 - 02/16/06 02:50 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I need to find more information on this. I take Immodium on a regular basis and have for years. Thre gastro that I saw told me that it was fine and I could take it as long as I wanted to if it made me feel better. I asked him specifically because I was worried about the long term side effects, etc. I don't take anything else besides Loperamide (generic, Immodium) and Simethicone for my IBS. Without these two I don't think I would be able to live my life or leave the house most days.
Granted, I am an A so I take Loperamide as I feel I need it, and skip a few days so I don't get too C
Hmmm, I'm going to look into this more and if anyone else discovers anymore information, please let me know.
Thanks
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: How long is a long time? new
      #246865 - 02/16/06 05:23 PM
Nelly

Just to be clear, I've NEVER heard of ANYBODY having addiction problems with loperimide. I don't think the cases exist. It just doesn't work that way. I think people see "anal opiod receptors" and jump to conclusions.

I've gone this route for over a decade, and it's the only medicine that's helped me with no side effects.

~nelly~

Re: Imodium user here :) new
      #246869 - 02/16/06 05:52 PM
ArtKen

I guess further to my original messages I take Lomotil which is according to book on prescriptions I have is habit forming over a long period. In my case on and off for more than 20 years since a a trip to Mexico that caused major problems, typhoid and dyssentry.

As far as Immodium according to same book by H. Winter Griffith, Complete Guide to Prescription Drugs, immodium can be habit forming if taken in high doses. What high means it doesn't say.

The book is a few years old but the author was or is a MD in Tuscon Arizona apparently.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1584

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review