All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Initial Stabilising Recipes
      #245870 - 02/13/06 01:50 AM
HL33

Reged: 06/12/05
Loc: Essex, UK

I know there are lots of recipes & meals ideas for when your stable but is there anything on the board that gives you ideas on what you can eat whilst your stabilsing? you know the list of foods Heather gives on the board & in her books to stick to in the first few days, I think this would help anyone new to the site, I remember when I first joined & was looking at the list I was at a loss

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Initial Stabilising Recipes new
      #245877 - 02/13/06 03:53 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

When you're just stabilizing you have to be very safe with fat and with insoluble fiber. So, while just getting started, keep fat in your diet VERY LOW. I don't really add oil or fat to anything. Most recipes, you can just leave out the oil altogether; you can sautee with broth and/or cooking spray. For IF, keep it all blended, mashed and pureed at first.

Here's what Heather says:

Quote:

[Blend] fresh fruits into smoothie drinks. Cook vegetables into pasta sauces or soups to serve over white rice. The Eating for IBS recipes for zucchini, banana, and pumpkin breads work well here, and so does the jok rice porridge soup. Add in a little low fat soy milk to your oatmeal, and have a bit of grilled fish or skinless chicken breast with pasta or rice. Safe treats are the Eating for IBS recipes for Will's dreamy lemon rice pudding, vanilla or chocolate silk puddings, peppermint fudge cake, and banana cream pie.

Keep your fat content very low and be extra careful as you start to incorporate the insoluble fiber. As you stay stable, you can expand to all the other IBS recipes, follow the general IBS diet guidelines (still low fat, no triggers, careful with insoluble fiber), and you'll be back to a healthy diet overall and not just plain soluble fiber. You should always continue to make soluble fiber the basis of your diet, though, and have those foods as the foundation of your meals and snacks. Continue the soluble fiber supplements on a daily basis as well. Remember, it's the soluble fiber that is key to normalizing a spastic colon and preventing IBS symptoms in the first place.

So, your blender or food processor is your friend at first!
Some recipe ideas:

- various blended (pureed) vegetable sauces served over pasta and rice

- mashed vegetables and legumes with pasta or rice

- pureed soups (Tip: I take safe canned vegetable soups, like vegetable with pasta and minestrone, and just dump it in the blender and puree it all to to make it safer. So easy and tastes really good! Have with some bread. I don't think this would really work with soups with meat in it though )

- smoothies made with soy* or rice milk and fresh fruit all blended up

- for protein, start adding a bit of soy milk*, chicken breast, egg whites and fish to meals; protein is usually pretty well tolerated

- try some of the EFI breads, particularly zucchini

- other EFI recipes: jok rice porridge soup, Will's dreamy lemon rice pudding, vanilla or chocolate silk puddings, peppermint fudge cake, and banana cream pie

(*Some people have problems with soy - make sure you're ok with by starting with a SMALL amount - if not, try again later when you're a bit more stable. Most people can 'train' their bodies to be ok with soy by starting with only small amounts and gradually increasing. But, depending on your personal tolerances, you may not want to try that until later on, when you're more stable, you know?)

HTH!

Can you post and At last .... new
      #245907 - 02/13/06 09:13 AM
Tillie

Reged: 02/04/06

someone understands where I'm at.
I am new and the books have not arrived yet, not due till Feb. the 25th.
I am having so much trouble finding foods I can eat in the morning, I was doing OK then all at once the IBS with D started up full blast. (have never been a C)
My husband wants me to call the Doctor for meds, I want to change with foods.

So please can a few of you post just what you eat in the morning? , need help.
(please no oatmeal)
Tillie

Re: Can you post and At last .... new
      #245910 - 02/13/06 09:23 AM
HL33

Reged: 06/12/05
Loc: Essex, UK

Hi Tillie

How about some toast made from white bread, you could probably get away with a scraping of jam & you could have a banana with it? or cook some ground or pudding rice with either soya or rice milk with a little bit of sugar & slice a banana into it?
those are just a couple of things I can think of at the moment

Mornings new
      #246076 - 02/13/06 08:54 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Mornings are the worst for me too. When my stomach is really bad, I stick to white bread (nothing on it), applesauce, and herbal tea with acacia in the mornings. Actually, I start every morning with a slice of white bread and tea with acacia - as a "prebreakfast" or "buffer" - then if I'm feeling OK, I have a bowl of oatmeal with applesauce. If you don't want to do oatmeal, how about a bowl of white rice (that's a common one for me on rough mornings... soooo safe and soothing), or a safe cereal (with or without a "fake milk") like Rice Krispies?

How is the diet going for you in general/the rest of the day? Are you completely "on it" now?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2482 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review