All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
soluble fiber
      #244741 - 02/07/06 12:05 PM
cardshark

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Phx, AZ

How does everyone take their soluble fiber (for D with cramps/bloating/gas)? Is it better to have it with a meal, or does it work just the same if I take it morning and night.

--------------------

*Janice*

"Where there is love there is life."

-Mahatma Gandhi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: soluble fiber new
      #244743 - 02/07/06 12:06 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I mix mine with applesauce and eat right before breakfast and lunch. With dinner I either do the same, or I mix it directly into what I am eating for dinner.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

How I take my SFS new
      #244780 - 02/07/06 12:54 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Now I have one teaspoon of Acacia in 1/2 cup applesauce first thing in the morning. I mix the rest of my Acacia dose into 32 ounces of water and drink it starting with lunch and finishing either with dinner or right after.

When I was hideously unstable and mornings were my worst time, I'd have 1 teaspoon of Acacia first thing in the morning in 1/2 cup of applesauce, another teaspoon of Acacia at bedtime in 1/2 cup of applesauce, and mix the rest in 32 ounces of water and drink starting at lunchtime and finishing either with dinner or right after.

I don't think it's necessary to have it with a meal. Somewhere Heather says she'll take an SFS sometimes just to keep her stomach from getting too empty. I do think it's important to spread it out into at least two doses during the day, more if feasible.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#244795 - 02/07/06 01:30 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

it doesn't need to be taken with a meal at all. it is good to spread it throughout the day, though. i take 4g first thing in the morning, 2g (working on increasing that to 4) mid-afternoon, and another 4g either before dinner or before bed. (i take fiberchoice - 2g per chewable tablet.)

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#244816 - 02/07/06 03:38 PM
cardshark

Thanks for your advice everyone. I am trying to make a schedule for taking everything I need to take and stick to it!
I have noticed a huge difference since I started taking the acacia fiber.

Jaime--where do you get chewable fiberchoice? That seems like a good option for when on the go.

--------------------

*Janice*

-Mahatma Gandhi

#244846 - 02/07/06 05:12 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i've found them in just about every drug store i've gone into, and sometimes in supermarkets.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#244863 - 02/07/06 05:51 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Is that huge difference in a good or bad way?

#244868 - 02/07/06 06:34 PM
cardshark

To answer your question...a huge difference in a BIG way. Before I ordered the acacia tummy fiber, I was taking Benefiber, which was okay, but now I am noticing less gas and bloating too. I wish that the acacia was easier to take on the go!

--------------------

*Janice*

-Mahatma Gandhi

#244881 - 02/07/06 09:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

my SFS "strategy rules"

1. ALWAYS first thing in the morning and right before bed (mornings are the absolute worst for me, with D)

2. Before any full meal (lunch and dinner), and always before any "iffy" meal (i.e. at a restaurant or someone else's house)

For me, taking Acacia this usually translates to 1 tbsp in the morning, 1 tbsp before bed, 1.5tsp before lunch and 1.5tsp before dinner. (For the lunch and dinner doses - it's not so much that it needs to be taken with a meal, I just find that the meal is just much easier to handle with the extra SF base of an SFS.)

If I'm eating at a restaurant or someone else's house though, or if it's a particularly large or otherwise iffy meal (like a holiday or something), I usually bump that up to 1 full tbsp before that meal.

Sometimes I just drink that last tbsp (3 tsp) in big water bottles throughout the day if I'm in more "grazing" mode and don't have to worry about dealing with a large-ish meal. (So 1 tbsp morning, 1 tbsp night, and 1 tbsp in small amounts throughout the day.)

That's what works for me anyway. HTH!

Mixing new
      #245282 - 02/09/06 12:17 PM
Knewada

Reged: 11/07/05
Loc: Ohio

I usally have a 32oz glass with 1 scoop of Citrucel in the morning. I've tried to switch to the Acacia I picked up, but I get bad and switch back to citrucel. Acacia mixes like Benifiber, in that it mixes clear and thin. Where Citrucel forms a gell even before you drink it.

Anyone know if mixing Citrucel and Acacia together to boost the SF would be a problem?

--------------------
If one end don’t get yah, the other will.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1939

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review