All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
B12 deficiency?
      #243775 - 02/03/06 07:19 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Does anyone here have a B12 deficiency from cutting out dairy and red meat from there diet? This is a new thing they are looking at for me because of my m/c and because my new lab work showed that my white blood count to be on the low side. I have read that people who are vegans have this more commonly. I am not vegan but do not eat red meat and dairy that contains alot of B12. I am currently taking a supplement but they tested to see of I was absorbinbg it. If I am not then I will have to give myself B12 shots. Just was looking for some input. I posted this on the Living Room board also. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: B12 deficiency? new
      #243906 - 02/03/06 12:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

My brother (who does not have IBS) has a girlfriend who is a vegetarian. HE had a B12 deficiency just from the change in diet - even though he does have milk and occasional red meat. So, I think it's fairly common. A big symptom is fatigue.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#244135 - 02/04/06 11:28 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I am B12 deficient & take shots. The removal of dairy & red meat from the diet should not be blamed for lack of vitamin B12, though. Soy foods/milk is fortified with B12. Fish, incidentally is an EXCELLENT source of B12, by the way. Therefore, Heather's diet has tons of vitamin B12 opportunities in it!I just don't absorb it effectively.

B12 is crucial in forming hemoglobin. Folate functions in synch with B12. Many deficient in B12 are also deficient in folate/folic acid (I was!) Before I knew that I was deficient and was prescribed shots, I was beyond tired & depressed, without energy. Seriously, I couldn't get off the sofa.

Kate, IBS-D.

Thanks for sharing new
      #244141 - 02/04/06 12:30 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I took all this info -- googled it and looked up some more. I take some vitamins -- but I just ordered a B complex to try as i have a lot of these symptoms as well -- and it can't hurt to try.

#244244 - 02/05/06 10:24 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Thanks for the input! I don't have the big symptom of fatigue though. I mean not anymore than the average person who works 40 hours and takes care of a toddler! So I am really wondering if I am not absorbing it. I will find out this week. Thanks again for the input.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 563

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review