All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
For Heather: question re:lack of red meat in IBS diet and anemia
      #24365 - 10/24/03 02:14 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi Heather! I was wondering if you've found any research about whether the lack of red meat in
your IBS diet causes anemia. I know many people make up for the lack of red meat by eating soy
products but when I eat soy I experience really bad IBS attacks. Could you shed some light on this for me? Thanks! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Heather: question re:lack of red meat in IBS diet and anemia new
      #24369 - 10/24/03 02:38 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Linda: If you don't mind my replying to this, I'd like to let you know my situation. I thought I HAD to be anemic last month (all the symptoms of tiredness, leg cramps, etc.) so I had my dr do a blood test to check. Much to my surprise I was ok, actually I registered right in the middle. I don't eat soy products as they bother me also, so mainly I eat chicken, veggies, rice and fish. I'm getting my iron somewhere then as I become anemic quite easily. I don't take vitamins (I should start though), but I do take Calcium with vitamin D (for the D). I've been on this diet for probably 11 months now, it's the only thing that helps. If anemia was a problem, it should have shown up by now, right? I'll be interested to hear from others about this subject.

#24370 - 10/24/03 02:42 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi berky! I know you directed this to Heather, but I recently ran a blood drive, so I was researching on this. There is a lot of good info out there, but here is one I found real quick right now: http://www.ideafit.com/ftiron.htm You can see that tuna on this list has more iron than the red meat. You can get iron from chicken & fish also. Leafy greens are also a good way to get iron. The Red Cross advised me to have pretzels and fortified cereals too. And, of course there is always the multi-vitamins.

Vitamin C helps you to absorb the iron you are eating. So, if you can tolerate some OJ, if you take a multi with a small glass of OJ, you will get more of the iron from it. Or, if you have pasta with tomato sauce (again, if you can handle tomaotoes) you will absorb more iron.

Unfortunately, when I was tested for my iron at the blood drive, I was denied. You have to have even more iron than normal to donate. Your level has to be 38, but I was only 35. This is not considered anemic though. So, following the IBS diet, I was fine. I will be trying again at our next drive in March, so wish me luck!

Found the pamphlet new
      #24371 - 10/24/03 02:55 PM
*Melissa*

OK - This is the one that gave us the best info for the blood drive at work. The girls at work really liked this one! http://www.beefinfo.org/pdf/IAW.pdf

Re: Found the pamphlet new
      #24376 - 10/24/03 03:40 PM
Karin

Great resource Mags!

Thanks! -nt- new
      #24377 - 10/24/03 03:42 PM
*Melissa*

Re:For Mags new
      #24381 - 10/24/03 06:08 PM
berky

Thanks so much for the info,Mags! That gives me some peace of mind to know about the tuna and chicken since I
eat this a lot. Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Re: For Karin new
      #24382 - 10/24/03 06:12 PM
berky

Hi Karin! Thanks for the info! Glad to hear you're not anemic. I don't feel that I am, but it did get me thinking.

--------------------

Re: For Karin new
      #24389 - 10/24/03 08:32 PM
Karin

You know I was thinking and I realize that I purchase enriched rice milk versus plain rice milk. That's probably a good thing to purchase enriched foods whenever possible since we are limited in our diet.

#24490 - 10/26/03 04:28 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Another way to "supplement" your diet with iron is to cook in a cast iron skillet...you know, for stir-fries and such. My parents have always used cast iron skillets (which really do become non-stick with long-term use and some Pam), and my mom never needed supplemental iron through three pregnancies and nursing all of us. So, for what it's worth.... Oh, and the skillets are cheap, too--mine were $10 and $6.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2340 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1791

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review