All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
can chicken and fish really be trigger foods?
      #243628 - 02/02/06 11:37 AM
tam

Reged: 02/02/06
Loc: uk

I have recently been diagnosed with ibs. I have brought heathers book The First Year... ive read it cover to cover and one thing doesnt make sense: chicken and fish have triggered off what i now believe to be ibs attacks several times in the past. Now im really scared to eat either of them! Has anyone got any helpful advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: can chicken and fish really be trigger foods? new
      #243630 - 02/02/06 11:42 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

were you eating them plain, or in some sort of sauce? fried? cooked with butter? were there side-dishes or anything else that could have triggered an attack? unless it was plain, skinned, and white meat for the chicken, it's very possible there was something else. of course, it's also possible your system doesn't handle them well, but i'd make sure you know what it actually is first.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#243639 - 02/02/06 12:23 PM
tam

thanx for your reply.
Im sure i must have had side dishes with it but the chicken and fish are only what sticks out in my mind. I stopped eating chicken almost 8 mths ago because it made me so ill!! I guess ill have to just try it plain and see what happens. I did try the quorn alternative once or twice but i have to say this made me just as unwell! I dont suppose you know of any other good meat alternatives??

#243640 - 02/02/06 12:25 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

And non-organic chicken/turkey is a trigger for some people, too. If you really want to eat chicken, start with organic breast, baked or broiled with minimal fat - and eat lots of soluble fiber with it. For fish, you might want to start with a mild white fish (although I am not triggered at all by fish fats, some people are), also cooked in a low-fat manner with lots of SF.

On the other hand, there are plenty of vegans and vegetarians here - no need to eat poultry or fish if you don't want to!

--AC

#243641 - 02/02/06 12:27 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Other sources of protein are: tofu and other soy foods, nuts and nut butters, and seitan. Oh, and Luna bars!

--AC

#243642 - 02/02/06 12:27 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

if you're looking to avoid meat, there are lots of ways to go. for chicken, morningstar chik patties are my favorites, but they are sort of high in fat for ibs, so be careful. i also love smart deli's soy imitation cold cuts.

but before going into any of that, i'd get yourself onto heather's diet - if your symptoms are bad, do the break-the-cycle diet for a few days, then start slowly reintroducing protein & insoluble fiber, carefully, as the diet proscribes. start taking a soluble fiber supplement, and just really familiarize yourself with the diet on the website. it's about much more than one or two foods getting you sick.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#243649 - 02/02/06 12:45 PM
tam

Thanx for the advice guys, im so new to all of this!
It is really that great to know that there areother people out there who actually understand!!!

#243654 - 02/02/06 01:05 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

My problem with chicken was that I ate too much of it at the one time. I would be starving, and then I would eat half of a chicken breast for dinner!! You have to watch out for quantity, how the chicken is prepared, weither or not it is organic, and don't eat it too quickly.
Skin the chicken, and only eat the white meat. Remove as much fat as possible. As for fish, start yourself on something very safe like canned tunafish! I recommend the cloverleaf brand. Just eat it out of the can, it's completely safe for me.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Note about canned tuna new
      #243701 - 02/02/06 05:29 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I highly recommend rinsing the tuna. It removes some of the preservatives. I agree, though, re: cloverleaf.

Try organic chicken/turkey breast, perhaps. I eat organic chicken & turkey breast quite safely, whereas regular chicken & turkey breast makes me ill more often than not.

Kate, IBS-D.

#243747 - 02/03/06 05:11 AM
cardshark

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Phx, AZ

Yes! Chicken and fish are triggers for me. I completely stopped eating meat about 7 mnths ago (again). I have a hard time digesting meat. I think they put so much garbage in meat like hormones, preservatives, etc., that I can't handle it--all perservatives bother me even more than dairy! I know I could probably buy organic, but now that I haven't been eating it, just the thought of it really grosses me out! I get most of my protein from soy/the small amounts of dairy I eat and nuts. I haven't had any problems.

--------------------

*Janice*

"Where there is love there is life."

-Mahatma Gandhi

#244254 - 02/05/06 11:45 AM
Suzy444

Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Canada

Chicken and fish makes everyone sick. IBS or not. Just check out peta.org

#244256 - 02/05/06 11:55 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'd have to disagree with you here. Chicken and fish can be very healthy if as with other foods, eaten in moderation.

Tam try..... new
      #244263 - 02/05/06 12:41 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Hi Tam, I noticed alot of the alternatives mentioned are brand names we dont have in the UK, I'm not sure what the fat content is but I've always been alright with 'Releat' products they do like a chicken style roast and I think a lamb one, they also do pretend steak chunks and mince, I get mine from my local health food shop or Holland and Barrett. Hope thats of some help to you.

#244278 - 02/05/06 03:17 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

For me, chicken is one of my safest staples. As long as it's not combined with triggers (e.g. cooked in butter or too much oil, in a creamy sauce) it's 100% safe for me. That said, people do have different food intolerances. I would recommend trying some plain baked or grilled chicken and see how that settles, then go from there!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2404 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1575

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review