All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is Turkey bad for us??
      #24315 - 10/24/03 07:29 AM
Bourget

Reged: 07/16/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I was just curious because this past Thanksgiving (Canadian) really took its toll on me...I had turkey, mashed potatoes, cucmber salad and instantly my stomach staretd to hurt. I have been battling reflux lately as well...but my stomach gets bloated...and after eating that meal, I got sick, but no fever and my bowels were crazy. My doctor said it was IBS related and soemthing I ate reacted my bowels.
I am just curious ebcause with Christmas coming and such...I really want to make sure I have a good Christmas.
I'm almost scared to go to people's houses now for dinner...last time I went On last Saturday, we had pasta at a friends house and my stomach was actign up at her house..it was embarassing.
I'm almost to the point of not going to people's houses or out to eat because of my stupid problems!

I'm sorry for venting, but everything seems to be so out of hand....My parents are pretty good and ask me what I can eat..I try to tell them, but I don't even know all the rules.
I was thinking about getting everyone a cooking with IBS cookbook for Christmas...lol
What do you eat at Christmas? Is ham better or is there something that's better to eat that maybe I can bring my own plate of stuff?

Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is Turkey bad for us?? new
      #24320 - 10/24/03 07:54 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Jennifer: You probably ate mashed potatoes with milk and butter in them? And raw cucumbers could be hard on your system, as most raw vegetables are. Also, one trigger I've identified is using a Butterball Turkey. It's shot with butter inside so it's a lot fattier and butter is one of my main triggers.

#24322 - 10/24/03 08:21 AM
Saralou

Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: Maryland

Hi Jennifer!
I know what you mean about being afraid to go to others homes for meals. It does become a chore (and I remember those Canadian txsgivings as well!) I really think that although there are "trigger" foods, most of us have to do trial and error because it can be very individualistic. What you can or cannot tolerate depends on many factors and in that sense, you are alone trying to figure it out. Some may be able to tolerate alcohol, for example, while others go into spasms. Everything is relative. It might be the turkey that did not agree with you but it also might be something else. It could have been something else on your plate or maybe it could have been how much you ate, what you ate before or after that. Or perhaps the combination of food did not agree with you (eg. turkey and spinach bad, but turkey and sweet potato good). Maybe it was your mental/emotional state at the time (I know the holidays can be particularly stressful for some and for others, just the thought of food makes them feel apprehensive). Did you get enough sleep? Were your clothes too tight? This is why it is very important, I believe, to keep a journal. Every morning when I wake up, I start logging info (everything--when did i eat, what did i eat, what was i wearing, how was I feeling physically/meantally/emotionally, what was I thinking about, possible clues, etc.) After a while, you should be able to see more of a pattern, you just have to look for one and be patient, which is proabaly the hardest part when you are feeling so horrid.
I hope that this helps, Jennifer.
Saralou

#24333 - 10/24/03 09:43 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree with Karin, probably the combo of fat and raw veggies. Generally Turkey is fine, I know its a staple of mine! Did you eat a lot? A BIG trigger for me is overeating, I know I tend to eat too much at those family gatherings!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#24335 - 10/24/03 09:50 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Don't be afraid to eat others houses. Remember to eat a little of your good food before you go and a little of someting they have to offer,If they are good friends hint of things you like to eat and I'll bet they'll incorporate it in their meal planning. I'm also not sure about Turkey it has always given me gasss. I'm going to cook a little chicken for me this holiday, until I get all of my new eating habits under control. Hope you have a great Christmas
Ham, I'm not sure about, I did have some on sourdough about 3 weeks ago and did ok, but it was a small amount.
Take care
Sherri

#24336 - 10/24/03 10:01 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

White meat turkey is excellent and very safe. Mashed taters are safe if made without butter or milk or cream ... I flavour mine with chicken broth and/or soy milk.
If they were made with dairy - deadly trigger. The cucumbers may have had dairy too - if creamy. I don't know.
Raw veggies may be a problem for you.
I hope we will have discussions on how to eat for Christmas.
1. Don't overeat.
2. Lots of white bread and mashed potatoes
3. White turkey with a DAB of gravy is OK
4. Avoid stuffing if it has whole wheat
5. Stick to cooked veggies especially mushy ones - sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, etc.
6. Avoid alcohol or stick to a very small glass of wine with dinner.
7. Take a safe dessert with you. See the recipe index.
8. Avoid juices.
9. Take fibre before.
10. Drink peppermint tea lots that day.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#24337 - 10/24/03 10:02 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

No ham. Too high in fat.
Pasta isn't usually the problem - it's the sauce. Creamy = dairy = attacks.

Tomato sauces are highly acidic and cause attacks, too. Some can tolerate them fine, and some have to stick to small amounts of sauce or none at all.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#24385 - 10/24/03 07:43 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi i CAN ALSO tolerate chicken and/or turkey is I have lots of fibre on that day which I usually do. Has anyone tried that tofuturkey. How isit?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3238 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 785

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review