All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
SOLUBLE FIBER?
      #24310 - 10/24/03 07:08 AM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

The listing of soluble fiber seems odd to me. If I were to eat white flour in any form, I would definitely die from a blockage! I have to eat brown rice, lots of prunes, figs, raisins, and cereals with fiber if I want to have a b/m!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SOLUBLE FIBER? new
      #24338 - 10/24/03 10:10 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

web page This explains it best. Yours is a very common question.
Too much insoluble actually can cause constipation because it overstimulates the colon until it completely shuts down resulting in constipation.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#24354 - 10/24/03 12:05 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

This is a hearty-and heartfelt!- affirmation of what HansSolo wrote re: your concern about soluble fiber. I've had severe C-IBS for more than 25 years and I ate just like you said you now still do. THEN I discovered H's diet in Aug '03. I've switched completely to eating per H's diet and I'm having spontaneous BMs w/ MUCH LESS discomfort, gas & bloating than I had eating my formerly extremely high insoluble fiber diet.

Hope you give H's diet a serious try and I DO mean serious, b/c it's hard to believe that it'll work when you've believed for so many years that you MUST eat all those high fiber foods. Sooooooo, you're not only changing how you eat but ALSO how you think! It's worth it.....really!!

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

#24391 - 10/24/03 10:41 PM
LillibetM

Thanks for the recommendation. While growing up, all I ever ate was white bread (homemade),white rice, chicken, fish, veggies and fruits. I couldn't have a BM for 2-3 weeks and they would always have to take me to the ER. Then I moved to this country, and found out about bran and started taking that for years and had regular BMs. I eventually switched to Metamucil as well. I recently ate sushi made from white rice, and guess what? I couldn't go for 3 days. I ran out of metamucil so I was hoping that figs and raisins might help, but that didn't work. So I know what you guys are saying, but I don't understand why this would work for a person with such chronic constipation.

#24392 - 10/24/03 10:48 PM
LillibetM

Thanks for the link HS. I am reading now. When they say you can have rice, must it be white? or can I use brown? I prefer the taste of brown rice. I also make french bread at home for my family, and have tried it from time to time, but if you'll pardon the expression, it's a real corker!

#24397 - 10/25/03 06:30 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Brown rice is safe for most of us, so go for it!

#24402 - 10/25/03 08:40 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Guess what metamucil is? Soluble fiber! Yes! White rice is the same as metamucil that way. Does that change your thinking? web page This explains all about supplements work and why they're so important. Soluble fibre is NOT thhe cause of constipation. Overstimulation of the colon is. Yes, bran can make you go, but it overstimulates your colon - causing it to shut down after you "go" resulting in more constipation. It's a vicious cycle. Soluble fiber alobg with lots of water and exercise will help regulate the colon so it keeps wiorking without shutting down. web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Edited by HanSolo (10/25/03 08:47 AM)

#24433 - 10/25/03 05:09 PM
LillibetM

Have you tried brown rice flour? I did, and it has a most awful after taste

#24440 - 10/25/03 09:31 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Well I guess everyone's different. I used to try to eat lots of insoluble fiber(well, didn't actually know what that meant, basiclly just ate lots of high fiber cereal and bread), and OUCH it killed me, made my IBS-C a whole lot worse. Perhaps you should try eating a lot more soluble fiber, maybe you're not eating enough of it? I still have trouble going, but I feel MUCH better sticking to soluble fiber, and a lot less bloated.

--------------------
IBS-C

#24447 - 10/26/03 06:35 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I've never tried brown rice flour.

It's very important that you do eat insoluble fiber, just make sure you always have it with soluble. You can still eat brown rice. Eat your veggies pureed into sauces or soups, or finely chopped and cooked. Just make sure you have them with pasta or bread or some other soluble. Then you get the best of both worlds! Use your raisins in breads - the Sunshine Bread & Chocolate Applesauce Bread from Eating for IBS are delicious, and they both use chopped raisins in them.

Bottom line DO NOT STOP EATING INSOLUBLE FIBER! Just do it carefully!

Also, continue to take your Metamucil if it works for you - a lot of people get gas & bloating from Metamucil, but if it works for you, stick with it! And drink tons & tons of water/herbal tea. And then drink a ton more! Fiber needs the water to work.

Have you been getting your exercise? Exercise really helps the bowel keep things moving.

Edited by Mags2003 (10/26/03 06:39 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 550 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1478

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review