All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
carrageenan and ibd
      #242861 - 01/30/06 04:25 PM
kendra

Reged: 02/28/05

I recently read in a natural healing guide that foods containing carrageenan can bring on symptoms of ibd. Alot of the items are common sense to stay away from but some were new to me. This is a algae that is found in these types of items:
Product Containing Algae ! @ # Brownie mix, Cheese (yellow and orange) # Chocolate milk ! Coffee creamer ! cottage cheese ! Egg substitute # Evaporated milk ! Frozen foods and desserts # Frozen yogurt ! Ice cream ! # Infant formula !
Margarine # Mayonnaise # Multiple vitamins #
Pudding (cooked) ! Relishes ! @ Salad dressing @ # Sauces and gravies ! @ Sour cream ! Toothpaste ! Whipped topping
Whipping cream !Yogurt ! Hope this helps!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

carageenen is similar to MSG new
      #242948 - 01/31/06 05:15 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

people with a sensitivity to one are also often sensitive to the other.. its why I can't use a lot of soy/rice products or any of the commercial almond milks, etc out there.... it causes my migraines

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I read a study... new
      #242971 - 01/31/06 06:40 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

where they found that carrageenan caused tummy upset and inflamation in rodents. The muscles spasmed.

I avoid anything with this ingredient just to be on the safe side. Maybe it I ever feel better I will test it out, but for now, the one article I read by Dr. Weil who suggestd people with IBD and IBS stay away from this ingredient, I can't allow myself the chance that it might be hurting me.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re:It gives me cramps and gas... new
      #243047 - 01/31/06 09:11 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

For a while I thought I couldn't handle soy products, but it turned out to be just the soy products that contain carrageenan. I did just fine with soy products that were carrageenan- free. (I have to admit that I still eat Soy Dream Vanilla "ice cream" once in a while, but in small amounts.)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5546 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1020

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review