All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
one thing that bugs me!!!!
      #242387 - 01/28/06 02:41 PM
flowerpetal

Reged: 01/07/06

ok you go into a restraunt and if you are wf df and stuff and look at the menu and see something and so you order it but... can only take part of the plate and not the whole thing and they stil charge you for it all .

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: one thing that bugs me!!!! new
      #242451 - 01/28/06 08:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's annoying, but that's the breaks. Unless you go to an a la carte sort of place... like sushi... or a buffet.

My advice would be to master the art of custom ordering. You don't have to take what they give you. Almost every time I've gone out (anywhere that isn't sushi!), I've had to say, "Can I just have a baked potato instead of mashed?" and "Can I get a vegetable that doesn't have butter on it?" Nine times out of 10, they've accomodated me so that I can have a full meal that I can actually eat.

Yeah... new
      #242484 - 01/29/06 08:52 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

it sucks, but I second mastering the art of custom ordering, as Casey said.

Funny story though: the last few times my parents have taken me and my partner out to dinner, I've ordered something off the menu I thought looked really safe, but of course came drenched in oil (despite my asking "please use very little oil, almost none"). So I fill up on the bread basket and swish the food around on my plate, eating only a little. ...And every time the server has apologized and simply not charged me for my meal! So since my parents were treating us... I've been the cheapest date ever for the last few times they've taken us out!

Haha... ok so it's not roll-on-the-floor funny, especially since I was hungry all three times - but still, sometimes you just have to laugh, right?

Re: one thing that bugs me!!!! new
      #242485 - 01/29/06 09:11 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I am gluten-free and also very health-conscious, so I've been special-ordering my food for years. Usually, I get whatI want, but it does piss me off when they just don't understand and I end up with the opposite of what i've asked for.. such as the little or no oil, and my food is swimming in it. The last time I went out to eat was the worst. There was "rice pilaf" on the menu, and since i can't have wheat, i specifically asked "is there any pasta in that or is it just rice?" and the waitress told me there are some vegetables but no pasta. Great, I thought. I ended up eating a couple bites of it before I noticed that it was full of orzo pasta!!! I think i should have complained, but I'm just too softspoken.

--------------------
Kim

Why do you eat GF, Kim?-nt new
      #244088 - 02/04/06 07:52 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What do you eat for breakfast and what brand bread do you buy?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Why do you eat GF, Kim?-nt new
      #244203 - 02/04/06 07:49 PM
Kim2884

I eat GF because I had some semi-positive blood tests for anti-gliadin antibodies. However, I am going to have a gene test done to try to confirm or rule out celiac because the results were inconclusive. For breakfast, I eat a bowl of hot buckwheat cereal. I used to eat oatmeal everyday, and this has been a good substitute. I haven't found any GF bread that I like that isn't really high in calories, so instead I use gluten-free tortillas and make wraps instead of sandwiches. I also found some awesome gluten-free blueberry waffles from van's.

--------------------
Kim

#244258 - 02/05/06 12:18 PM
Augie

That's the same thing that happened to me. Did you doctor tell you to eat GF or did you decide to go it on your own?

I don't have the celiac gene. If you don't have the gene, do you think you will eat gluten again?

I would think the Buckwheat wouldn't be a good SF way to start the day. But if you are okay with it, that's great.

What brand tortilla do you get? I agree about the bread...but have never seen GF tortillas that are lower in fat. I would love the brand name.

Thanks, Kim. I didn't feel any better eating GF..do you? I'm an IBS-C, but was an IBS-D before the GF diet.

--------------------
~ Beth

#244336 - 02/06/06 04:53 AM
Kim2884

My doctor told me to eat GF

If I don't have the gene, I think I will eat gluten again. Of course, if I feel horrible as a result, I will go back to eating GF.

I'm not sure about the SF/IF ratio in buckwheat, but I've never had a problem with it. I'm pretty sure it's an easily-digested grain.

The brand of tortilla is Food For Life. They have a website at www.foodforlife.com. The tortillas have 130 calories and 2.5g of fat, from safflower oil which is very healthy.

I thought I felt better for a little while after eating GF. But now I'm not so sure. But I'm still afraid to try eating it again until I get a test that tells me I don't have celiac.

--------------------
Kim

Keep me updated new
      #244358 - 02/06/06 08:03 AM
Augie

I don't think the link is the right one though. I hope you don't have the gene...but then again it would help explain things. Do you still have IBS symptoms even being GF? I sure did!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Keep me updated new
      #244502 - 02/06/06 03:16 PM
Kim2884

I think the link had a period in it. try this: www.foodforlife.com
And yes, I do still have symptoms. I thought that would be my cure...but I guess I'm back at square one.

--------------------
Kim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5832 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1275

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review