All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What causes IBS??
      #241741 - 01/26/06 09:30 AM
busymomtn

Reged: 01/09/06
Loc: Chattanooga, TN

OK - I got IBS out of the blue in June of last year. Mine started when I took an antibotic for a urinary tract infection. I've had all of the tests; colonoscopy, upper gi, etc. My doc thought it was C-Diff (which is where the antibotic wipes out all your good "gut flora") but it came back negative (my heart sank over that one) so "physically" there is nothing wrong. My question is.....why????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What causes IBS?? new
      #241742 - 01/26/06 09:44 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I don't think anyone knows for sure or has been able to pinpoint a direct cause for IBS. There's a section on the main site about IBS; here's what I found:

Interestingly, the origins of IBS may really be in our brains, and not in our bowels. Given that for many years people with IBS were dismissively told their problem was "all in their heads", it's ironic that, in the end, this may be factually true. The underlying problem might well be in our brains - but it's absolutely not in our imaginations.

No one really yet knows exactly why some people develop IBS and others don't. There is mounting evidence that for some IBS sufferers the condition is precipitated by some type of grievous insult to the gut - dysentery, food poisoning, intestinal flu, abdominal surgery, even pregnancy. The theory goes that even after full physical recovery from these traumatic events, the nerves within the gut retain a "memory" of the insult and remain hyper-sensitive to further stimulation, as well as prone to subsequent over-reaction. You likely know if you experienced any abdominal trauma immediately prior to the onset of your IBS symptoms, and if you did it's probably nice to have a logical explanation for what has happened to your GI tract and why. There are those of us who are exceptions to this theory, however, who suffered no gut insult prior to the onset of IBS symptoms, and we're still patiently waiting for our explanation.
- What is IBS, Symptoms, Diagnosis, etc.

Your use of antibiotics was probably enough of an "insult to the gut" to trgger your IBS.

HTH.

#241743 - 01/26/06 09:44 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I don't think anyone really know whay or how this stuff starts. My doc said mine was due to holding it in, (cuz I thought I was too cool to go in high school). The start of it is probably as mysterious as our individual symptoms. I know it's tough sometimes just wanting answers, but sometimes if I wrack my brain hard enough I'll just strees myself out. So don't think too hard or long about it. We'll get thru it one day at a time, with help & suuport from each other.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#241745 - 01/26/06 09:48 AM
busymomtn

That's so weird, I did the same thing in HS
I was never real "regular" in my life anyway - ironic now that I'm IBS-D Thanks for the support!

#241747 - 01/26/06 09:53 AM
busymomtn

UGH! It's just SO frustrating sometimes. Especially like last night when I was having a "so-so" day - and the rest of my family are making tacos for dinner while I'm eating pretzels and sipping peppermint tea. <Insert whine here>

#241749 - 01/26/06 10:02 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I know what you mean! When my friends are eating pizza - aaah!

Once you start feeling better and are ready to try new recipes, you'll find ways to make your favorite meals IBS-safe. For tacos you could use ground turkey or chicken - your family might not even know the difference, especially if the meat is seasoned. For pizza, I now have cheeseless pizza, no meat, or I'll use a soy/rice cheese. I think after so many years of not eating dairy or meat, I've forgotten how they taste so I don't miss it too much anymore. I still miss real bacon; although I eat turkey bacon, it's not quite the same.

#241751 - 01/26/06 10:12 AM
busymomtn

Ahhh.....pizza (sigh) Yeah, I've used ground turkey for spaghetti, meatloaf, etc. My whole family eats it, and for the most part doesn't complain. (I have 3 teenage boys in my house - eek!) Every now and then I will buy 4 steaks (for them) and a chicken breast, or piece of fish (for me) to grill - and I love, love, LOVE turkey burgers! My hubbie makes the BEST burgers, and now he makes the best turkey ones too! Yummmmmmmmmy!!! OK - I'm feeling a little better now!

#241853 - 01/26/06 02:58 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

These are some good articles

The Other Brain Also Deals With Many Woes
By Harriet Brown ' August 23, 2005

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/other/articles/2005/08/23/the_other_brain_also_deals_with_many_woes/

and

http://hopkins-gi.nts.jhu.edu/pages/latin/templates/index.cfm?pg=disease1&organ=6&disease=43&lang_id=1

This is also a good public TV show you can watch.

http://www.itvisus.com/programs/hbhm/episode_ibs.asp

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#241876 - 01/26/06 04:06 PM
busymomtn

WOW! Very enlighting! I especially liked the video. Thanks!!!!

#241902 - 01/26/06 05:29 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Its a good video. Glad the links helped.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1679 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1628

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review