All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Quick update
      #241731 - 01/26/06 08:51 AM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

For those of you who were aware of my situation: I had a urinalysis done yesterday for HCG, and it came back negative!!!! I also had a blood test done, but the doctor informed me that she would call with the results.
After giving me the results, the doctor kept telling me that it may be too early to detect the HCG hormone, but personally, I believe that I'm not pregnant. I am very relieved and grateful.
Although the stress from everything including this and exams, and some other issues, has practically destabalized me, I feel an irristable urge to continue with my desires to become stable.
The strange thing is not only me not having my period (unbalanced diet, I would assume) but when I asked to discuss birth control, the doctor instructed that I must return after I recieve my next period to discuss birth control? I don't want to scare myself like that again. I wonder why I would have to wait.
Anyways, I would like to thank all of you. I truthfully felt relaxed and consoled after speaking with each of you. You always seem to know what to say, I appreciate it. Thanks again.

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Quick update new
      #241754 - 01/26/06 10:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

They don't like you to start bc if you've not had a period in case a, you're pregnant, or b, there's a problem that's causing the lack of periods that bc could complicate or hide.

#241794 - 01/26/06 12:45 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Whew - I was worrying about you! Did your doc tell you when your results will be back?

There's a fair amount of birth control info out on the web, so it might be a good idea to do a bit of research on your own before meeting with the doc.

Association of Reproductive Health Professionals

EngenderHealth - one of my fave charities

I've found that gynecologists tend to have more info than GPs, but I also ran into some gyns that treated me like an idiot when I was in my teens. The best defense is to inform yourself so you know if they're BSing you.

Now have some nice sourdough toast and some strong peppermint tea with sugar and maybe an ADB for dessert!

--AC

#241802 - 01/26/06 01:08 PM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

Heheheheh, AC, your awesome. Thanks for your concern. They said they would only call me if they had any negative results to my blood test.
I have already researched. I think I might go with a barrier method with spermicide such as the sponge, or a diaphragm. I don't think I can handle any extra hormones anytime soon.
Toast sounds good right about now. And I'd kill for a friggen brownie. Hah, thanks again.

--------------------
IBS-C

Call them new
      #241806 - 01/26/06 01:24 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think it's important that you call your doctor after a reasonable amount of time (a week should do it) and check on your test results. In fact, the best course is to ask for a copy of the results to be mailed to you. Stuff does get lost in the shuffle even in the best-run offices.

As a side-note, I used the contraceptive sponge years ago and loved it. Just be sure your doctor is clear about what the effectiveness percentage is.

I'm so glad you're apparently past this crisis. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Call them - ditto! new
      #241991 - 01/27/06 06:18 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I agree - call them and get them to tell you the result. It's sort of silly to have them leave you hanging, but it's not surprising. (I'm flashing back to my late teens when I was given a pregnancy test and not told what it was. Yeah, it was great to call the docs from work and to find out then that the magic blood test was a pregnancy test...)

I'm personally a big fan of using 2 methods at once: one for you and one for him. It just seems more equitable to spread the contraception burden around! Plus the failure rate really goes down with 2 simultaneous methods.

Brownies are good. Now kick butt on your exams!

--AC

#242257 - 01/27/06 08:19 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'm happy that things have worked out well for you. Whatever method you decide to use - barrier, or hormone - you have to make sure he is wearing a condom everytime since it will significantly reduce the chances of getting pregnant because depending on what site you get your information from barrier methods range from 75% - 90% effectiveness. Good luck with everything and I hope you stablize soon.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8032 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 949

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review