All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new vegen
      #241669 - 01/26/06 03:50 AM
.kait.

Reged: 01/21/06

Does any one have suggestion for anew vegen? I am in high school and any recipes or advice would be great. I love cooking and one or two person recipes are great so I can take leftovers in lunch the next day. I am going shopping this weekend, is there anything that is a staple for a vegen? Thanks in advance!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new vegen new
      #241926 - 01/26/06 07:09 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Kait

That's great that you're going vegan Just out of curiosity, have you read much about vegetarianism or veganism? If not, I really recommend that you do. Veganism is a super healthy way to eat and live, but there are also some things you need to pay more attention to and adjust your eating a bit to make sure that you're getting the proper nutrients (i.e. you really can't just "stop eating meat, eggs and dairy").

I'd recommend the book "How It All Vegan" by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard (which is just an all-round fun book with lots of great recipes too). Also there is a ridiculous amount of great info in "Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina, Davis and Harrison (including a good chapter on veganism). On the web, the Vegetarian Society has a good page on it: Vegan Nutrition. There are also lots of other sites - try googling "vegan nutrition" (no quotes).

As for recipes, there are lots of great sites and cookbooks out there. I've lived as a vegan before and am now more or less vegan (I do have eggs now and then though so I resist calling myself "vegan"). The Fat Free Vegetarian Archives is a great site with LOTS of recipes and they're all fat free and for the most part totally IBS safe. All the vegan recipes (of which there are many) are marked, though it's usually not too difficult to turn a vegetarian recipe vegan using milk and egg substitutes.

My favourite "basic weekday" meal is white rice cooked in my rice cooker (you could also easily cook it on the stove ) with cooked carrots and cubed tofu in a soy sauce based stir-fry sauce. So easy to make; I usually make lots and eat it throughout the week.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6949 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 442

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review