All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Contraception and IBS
      #241666 - 01/26/06 02:45 AM
ribena

Reged: 01/17/06

Hi I have just started a new contraception the patch as the pill gave me bad side effects. I just wondered if this patch will upset my symptoms in any way?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Contraception and IBS new
      #241680 - 01/26/06 05:54 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I believe people have found that the patch and NuvaRing are more tolerable than the pill since you're not putting the hormones in your digestive system. That's why I'm going to bug my doctor for NuvaRing this year...

--AC

#241691 - 01/26/06 06:52 AM
ribena

Thanks for the reply, hopefully all stays well!

#241764 - 01/26/06 10:47 AM
T~N~T

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Ohio

The patch made me horribly nauseas. It seemed like no matter what I did I still felt like I was going to throw up. I also have really sensitive skin and the patch left red marks on my skin for weeks. I am on the NuvaRing now and it's the best thing I have ever tried! Hopefully that patch will be ok for you but I have heard a lot of people who said it made them feel funny, and not in a good way.
HTH!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

#241765 - 01/26/06 10:50 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I love my depo! I get a shot every 3 months, no periods or endo anymore. I'm IBS-D and the shot helps slow things down for me as well. I would always get D with my periods, and that's all gone now. Do a search on the boards for depo with no time limits, and you can see where we've discussed this before.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you!

~nelly~

#241767 - 01/26/06 10:59 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

I'll have to agree with my experience with the patch. I loved it at first, but about 3 months later, I literally started getting "pregnant like symptoms" - vomiting, etc.(and NO, I was NOT pregnant, NO way, NO chance, if you know what I mean). Its actually happened with a couple of birth controls with me. I had surgery in 1995 for endometriosis, and my doctor suggested I stay on birth control no matter what b/c of my endo (I know some people are highly against that, but everyone is different, and my endometriosis was horrible). Anyway, from what I understand, anyone and everyone can be different and intolerable to something or another, birth control wise. I never thought I would be able to take oral contraception again (always made me horribly nauseous), but I've been on Seasonale for over a year with NO problems (knock on wood)! However, they say you can become "intolerable" at any time.....that is how I was with the patch....fine one month, horrible the next. Guess you just have to find what works for you. I, personally, don't feel my symptoms have ever worsened b/c of my birth control. Hope this helps.

DeeSingleton new
      #241771 - 01/26/06 11:30 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I was on b/c for my excrutiating endo too, starting at 14. But I couldn't take the pill (bleeding, migraines), and it turns out it was because of the estrogen. The side effects were HORRIBLE. Isn't it weird that something that is supposed to help can be such a hinderance?

I even tried the mini-pill (low estrogen) but it was the same. If I hadn't found progestrone, I don't know what I would have done! I was on it in France, and when it became legal in the States I was first in line.

Yea to b/c that helps the gut!!

~nelly~

#241974 - 01/27/06 03:10 AM
ribena

thanks for all the replys the nuva ring sounds good but please dont think im stupid for asking this but doesn't your partner feel it? Also what if it gets pushed up too far?

#241987 - 01/27/06 06:06 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Well, your vagina is pretty much a dead end , so there really isn't a "too far". Theoretically, guys aren't supposed to feel it, but I suppose it depends on your respective anatomies and what exactly you are doing.

Heh - hopefully I'll be able to give you some actual data in a few months!

--AC

#241995 - 01/27/06 06:37 AM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

I have been using the Nuva Ring for about 4 months. There is no way it can get pushed up too far. My partner said that he couldn't feel it, but sometimes it would come out during intercourse. Just make sure to check that it is there afterwards. I love it and plan on using it for a long time!

Kristi

#242151 - 01/27/06 01:30 PM
toadette

Reged: 01/18/06
Loc: Seatt;e, WA

I also was able to monitor my D/C by my pill when I was on a tri-phasal. My IBS got worse when I switched pills. I always have my worst episodes around my period. I have an appt next week to discuss the IUD to be hormone free!!

#242640 - 01/30/06 02:50 AM
ribena

Well so far I have been on the patch for nearly a week and I would have expected side effects to show by now. One night I had nausea not sure if it was the patch or IBS?? And I have had quite a few headaches but that could be too much use of the computer! So at the moment I am liking the patch and also liking the new excitment it has brought to my relationship!!

Re: Nelly new
      #242746 - 01/30/06 10:52 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

So is the name of the birth control called "progestrone"? Something I might mention to my doc if my Seasonale starts to turn against me!

#242870 - 01/30/06 04:49 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

With the pill you can get side effects during the first 3 months while your body adjusts to the hormones. The patch might be like that too, but I'm not up with all the info on that. Don't get discouraged if you do start to experience any side effects.
For added protection, he should be wearing a condom.

Edited by Gracie (01/30/06 04:50 PM)

#242904 - 01/30/06 05:53 PM
Maile

Reged: 01/30/06
Loc: California

Hello. This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. I had to respond to this post.

I was on Depo for several years, and I loved it. However, I'm prone to depression, and as the years and months passed, my depression and anxiety continued to get worse. I did some searching online and found that there's a suspected link between depo and psychiatric problems. I went off of it, and my depression/anxiety is doing much better. (incidentally, my ibs started at about the same time I started the Depo, but I have no real reason to say they're related, just always searching for an answer.)

Just wanted to suggest that anyone considering Depo do some research first so you do end up going through what I did.

Maile

#242926 - 01/30/06 07:53 PM
Gracie

A couple years ago I was considering getting it, then I did some research and I read about one woman's nightmare ordeal with Depo. After reading it, there was no way I was going to take any chances. It can work wonders for some people, but for others it can be horrible.

#242945 - 01/31/06 04:52 AM
ribena

I dont think you need the extra protection the patch has a very low rate of pregnancy if I liked him wearing a condom I wouldn't be putting myself through wearing teh patch. I dunno I guess your right in saying it is better to be safe than sorry but if it happens it happens I just hope it doesn't. Not yet anyway

#243187 - 01/31/06 03:39 PM
Gracie

Pregnancy isn't the only issue for condom use - STD's. Some guys say they love the woman, and the next thing you know, they're cheating. I've seen it happen to many women. Also an STD could be as simple as someone having a cold sore, then getting frisky with their partner. The virus in the cold sore could mutate into herpes in the genital area.

#243302 - 02/01/06 07:10 AM
ribena

im sorry you've seen people with bad experiences but my guy is very committed and he would never do that he just isn't like that so i have no worries with STD's

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1284 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2923

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review