All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I guess it's true...when it rains it pours..I just need some support
      #240955 - 01/23/06 08:37 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I was achieving stable status not too long ago, but am afraid I am losing it and I am so depressed. However, a lot has happened to me in the last couple of weeks that I know my stress levels are probably the culprit.

First and foremost, my grandfather had been gravely ill for weeks and finally passed away just about 20 minutes ago. The stress on my family is so great since we just lost my other grandfather about a year ago. I am also having terrible problems with my boyfriend and am pretty positive a break up is inevitable. I am back in law school and up to my ears in assignments and reading. To top it all off I am working as well as trying to find a job for when I (hopefully) pass the Bar this fall.

My stomach pain is just terrible and worsens whenever I have to leave home, which is everyday. I know it's just anxiety. I am also becoming more and more consumed by obsessive worrying. I am wondering, should I talk to my doctor about a low dose antidepressant? I am just freaked to leave the house since everything just seems to cause my tummy to twist.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I guess it's true...when it rains it pours..I just need some support new
      #240961 - 01/23/06 09:56 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Oh Amanda, no wonder you're having a flare up! That's a lot of stress!!! So sorry about your grandfathers. Don't get so upset about losing your stable status that you make it worse (I know, easier said than done). I was scared I was permanently backsliding recently when I was on antibiotics, but once I was done with it the stability came right back, so hopefully it will be the same for you.

Do you have a human you can vent to? (I mean, one you can see in person, instead of via the internet?) Sounds like a girls' night out (with lots of bathroom stalls) is in order! Hang in there girl.

#240972 - 01/24/06 01:33 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Amanda, So sorry about your grandfathers and your situation. Your grandfathers are in a better place. Take care of yourself. Go to the doctor and get some help. You need something to calm you and get you through this. xo Bette

--------------------
(cool)

#240998 - 01/24/06 07:12 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm so sorry about your grandfather.

I would definitely see a doctor but let him or her figure out what would help best. A low-dose anti-depressant might help your IBS directly by acting on your serotonin. However, if the IBS flare is primarily a result of your anxiety, you might do better with an anti-anxiety medicine. Something like Valium would ease the anxiety and thus ease the IBS as a secondary effect. Also, my experience has been that low-dose Valium has far fewer side-effects than low-dose anti-depressant.

Assuming that you have time to get a decent night's sleep, you could also try Donnatol at bedtime. That's an anti-spasmodic plus phenobarbitol, so it does make me sleepy, but it also eases my gut and I do get some carry-over effect.

(Both Valium and Donnatol carry a risk of habituation, so be sure to discuss this with your doctor.)

Beyond meds, if you can be super-careful with your diet (difficult in times of stress, I know) that might help, too. I find that the more closely I adhere to the diet guidelines, the more stress I can tolerate - although I have to admit I haven't even approached the level of pressure you're under since I've been on Heather's diet.

Last, but not least, perhaps something like yoga or QiJong or the hypno tapes would help over the long term.

HTH. Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Yeah, what Sand said! new
      #241031 - 01/24/06 08:14 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm sorry about your grandpa. He is in a better place and at peace.

No wonder you are a bit unstable. Don't get too upset about it. It's surely likely to happen with everything that's going on...and it doesn't mean it will be permanent. Just a rough spell right now.

Keep us updated Amanda. Big hugs to you!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1626 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 623

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review