All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Question about Primal Defense for Michelle, Gracie, or others taking it...
      #240949 - 01/23/06 08:00 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

When did you increase your primal defense daily dose from one to two capsules per day? I've been taking 1 capsule daily for almost a month and was wondering if I should increase it to two soon? I haven't had any side effects and have been doing great lately!

Hope all is well w/ everyone else and I appreciate your input!!

Amber

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Primal Defense for Michelle, Gracie, or others taking it... new
      #240953 - 01/23/06 08:32 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hi Amber, I'm glad to hear that you've been feeling better. I increased my dosage to 2 after about one week. After a few days to a week of taking 2, I'd try going up to 3 per day, and so on.

About Primal Defense new
      #241040 - 01/24/06 08:26 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I just read an article in Consumer Reports that tested and rated probiotics. Primal Defense did not fair very well. It contained a lot less of the probiotic strains it claimed to have. It is very expensive, and CR scored this one very low. I hope it helps you, but just keep this in mind if it doesn't help much. You might want to give another probiotic a try.

I was really surprised to read the report on Primal Defense. I had faith in Jordan Rubin...and was disappointed that his product did not live up to the claims.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Do you take a probiotic? new
      #241155 - 01/24/06 12:34 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

Interesting...everything I had read about primal defense made it seem like "THE" probiotic to take! Well, I seem to be doing pretty well now, but I have only been taking it for a month, so I don't know if it has helped or not in such a short time. I started taking it because it seemed to be safe on the tummy for a bunch of people. I am very paranoid about taking anything that might upset me! Do you take a different probiotic? Just curious!

Thanks for the info

Amber

Re: About Primal Defense new
      #241258 - 01/24/06 03:56 PM
Gracie

I haven't read that report, but I would take it with a grain of salt. Research has been done on Primal Defense, I know that many doctors recommend it, and I also know that in some reports they have ringers - people who are paid to say negative things about a product, and on the flip side, they might be paid to say postive things. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but it might be a possibility.
I had also read that one nutritionist said Primal Defense contained dangerous bacteria that would greatly harm someone, but it turned out that she was wrong about the strain of bacteria and that it was actually approved for human consumption. I forget her name but this nutritionist has written some books and is some kind of authority on IBS or GI problems in general.

Re: Consumer Reports new
      #241501 - 01/25/06 12:23 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

You don't have to base what you buy on a report by CR, but I wouldn't take what they say with a grain of salt.

Consumer Reports isn't selling anything nor do they accept advertising. They're a non-profit, independent organization that tests products in order to inform and protect consumers.

#241506 - 01/25/06 12:25 PM
Augie

Yes, they simply were testing the product to see if they really contained the amount and types of things the label says they do. Apparently, Primal Defense does not, according to them.

Glad it helps some people though!

--------------------
~ Beth

Yes, I take jarrow eps new
      #241507 - 01/25/06 12:27 PM
Augie

or another one that I can't remember the name of offhand. I'll try to find the magazine and post which probiotics "lived up to their promises"!

--------------------
~ Beth

Hey Beth! Me too! new
      #241509 - 01/25/06 12:28 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'd like to know how CP rated this one. I know it works for my family!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#241515 - 01/25/06 12:34 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yeah, if it works for someone, I wouldn't tell them to stop taking it. Sorry if my reply was curt, but I don't think a CR report should be totally disregarded if you're looking to start a new probiotic or any dietary supplement that isn't fully regulated. Of course, with any supplement it's probably best to talk with your doctor about it first.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (01/25/06 12:38 PM)

#241517 - 01/25/06 12:36 PM
Gracie

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Unfortunately, I don't think they tested jarrow new
      #241521 - 01/25/06 12:43 PM
Augie

I just picked up because it was so popular on the boards. I do remember that PB8 did pretty well, as did either Enzymatic Therapy Bio beads or Natrol biobead. One of those beady ones! But I wanted a multistrain one.

I was taking Udo's Choice, but that one wasn't rated either.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: About Primal Defense new
      #241525 - 01/25/06 12:50 PM
Gracie

Does Consumer Report have a website? I'd be interested in reading this article.

Re: Unfortunately, I don't think they tested jarrow new
      #241540 - 01/25/06 01:23 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I've thought about trying Udo's too! However, the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies for me here. I love the effect of my Jarrow, so I'm sticking with it. It has helped me, DH and son so very much. I think everyone ought to take one!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Consumer Reports article new
      #241556 - 01/25/06 03:06 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The entire Consumer Reports article is only available to subscribers. Your local library should carry Consumer Reports - the article was in the July 2005 issue. Here's the summary on the CR Website.

I have to agree with Maria and Beth about Consumer Reports. Their review is not a case of people being asked what they think about a probiotic. As I understand it, CR either tests in their own labs or has independent labs test products they are evaluating. I don't personally recall any type of scandal associated with CR's testing and evaluations.

Even assuming CR found that Primal Defense does not contain as many CFU as labelled, it doesn't change the fact the Primal Defense works for you and, presumably, for other people. It simply means that probiotics exist in a gray area, where standards and dosages haven't yet been established by long-term scientific studies.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: About Primate Defense new
      #249257 - 02/28/06 04:35 PM
AndreJ

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Baltimore

I took 12 up to 18 per day for a year. It helped most out of all the supplements accept Coconut oil. But not happy with it.

Did the coconut oil help you? new
      #249302 - 02/28/06 06:45 PM
Augie

How much of it did you take? I would think that the fat would be horrible for IBS.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1071 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2658

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review